Which Religion is the One True Religion?

booman2

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 08:44 pm
00 Agent Kidd,
.....Have you read many books on the ancient African religions from the christian religeons, were derived?
0 Replies

SN95

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 04:05 am
booman2 wrote:
00 Agent Kidd,
.....Have you read many books on the ancient African religions from the christian religeons, were derived?

If only more Christians would. I've tried to bring this topic up several times in a few different threads here but have been either flatly ignored or had the subject abruptly changed. It's difficult for a Christian to admit that their mythology is unoriginal and was told by countless other pagan religions over time. Egypt, syria, persia, asia minor.... the list of areas goes on. One has to look at any of the gods of the region (Attis, Adonis, Mithras, Osiris, Dionysus, Krishna, etc) to see the blatant similarities.

Some here will concede that many christian rituals and holidays are originally pagan. However, the very core of the christian mythology, that of the resurrecting godman (ie. the entire story of Jesus) has also been told hundreds of times over in the exact same manner by many different religions that preceded christianity.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 04:48 am
Most of Genesis is borrowed. Specifically, The Epic of Gilgamesh provided a great deal of material for the Hebrews. That, along with significant other evidence, strongly suggests that the Hebrews did not become literate and begin to write their traditions down until the time of the Babylonian captivity.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 05:18 am
...by the rivers of babylon
...where we sat down
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 05:41 am
Hey, hey, we wept
When we remembered Zion
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 05:53 am
from the Book of Boney

Chapter 1 verses 1.2

You know if they put the whole Bible and Koran to music, that really would be an epic.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 05:55 am
Some efforts have been made . . .

Look at all my trials and tribulations
Sinking in a gentle pool of wine
Don't disturb me now I can see the answers
Till this evening is this morning life is fine

Always hoped that I'd be an apostle
Knew that I would make it if I tried
Then when we retire we can write the gospels
So they'll still talk about us when we've died

-- From Jesus Christ Superstar
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 03:13 pm
booman2 wrote:
Hearing two intelligent (bookwise) people in this thread make the statement that Jesus Christ is the only way of salvation reaffirms my belief that [C]hristianity is a dangerous cult. I mean for people to actually think the majority of people on earth will go to hell, no matter how well they carry themself, are good they are, because some book tells them to worship this MAN called Jesus is pure blasphemy.

Jesus himself is not just a man. He is God's begotten son. There's a monumental difference between worshipping some guy and worshipping God. And I do not worship God/Jesus just because "some book" told me to do so, either. I worship Him because he is the Lord.
booman2 wrote:
00 Agent Kid,

No, I have not. However, theses texts sound interesting. Could you provide me a source from which to buy these or read them online?
SN95 wrote:
If only more Christians would. I've tried to bring this topic up several times in a few different threads here but have been either flatly ignored or had the subject abruptly changed. It's difficult for a Christian to admit that their mythology is unoriginal and was told by countless other pagan religions over time. Egypt, syria, persia, asia minor.... the list of areas goes on. One has to look at any of the gods of the region (Attis, Adonis, Mithras, Osiris, Dionysus, Krishna, etc) to see the blatant similarities.

Why do you think that there are blatent similarities? Could it be possible that all of these tribes could have the same origins? All of mankind lived together up until the separation at the Tower of Babel. Naturally, they would all have stories that would tell of similar origins.
SN95 wrote:
Some here will concede that many christian rituals and holidays are originally pagan. However, the very core of the christian mythology, that of the resurrecting godman (ie. the entire story of Jesus) has also been told hundreds of times over in the exact same manner by many different religions that preceded christianity.

Take a look at this verse from Genesis:
Genesis 3:15 wrote:
And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.

This was the first prophecy of the coming of Jesus Christ, right there in the Garden of Eden, before any other civilizations even formed (before any other humans, as well). This well precedes other tales of a coming from other religions.
0 Replies

SN95

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 04:18 pm
Quote:
SN95 wrote:

Why do you think that there are blatent similarities? Could it be possible that all of these tribes could have the same origins? All of mankind lived together up until the separation at the Tower of Babel. Naturally, they would all have stories that would tell of similar origins.

Could it be possible that the jesus mythology is just an extension of a preexisting pagan myth that permeated much of the previous five thousand years prior to Jesus? I'm not talking about similarity about the origins of the world, I'm talking about similarities of the entire story of Jesus Christ himself and those of other godmen that preceded him. (Born of a virgin, son of god, raised the dead, water to wine, crucified, buried in a cave, resurrected on the third day, died for our sins etc. etc.) If we all came of the same origins then if I believe in Mithras will I go to heaven? If not, why not? It's the same story. If it isn't the same story, name me one original piece of christianity that makes it different from the pagan religions.

Quote:
SN95 wrote:

Take a look at this verse from Genesis:
Genesis 3:15 wrote:
And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.

This was the first prophecy of the coming of Jesus Christ, right there in the Garden of Eden, before any other civilizations even formed (before any other humans, as well). This well precedes other tales of a coming from other religions.

How is that a prophecy of Jesus? It says he, it doesn't say Jesus. It's your interpretation that makes you feel this is a self-fulfilling prophecy.
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 04:31 pm
SN95 wrote:
Could it be possible that the jesus mythology is just an extension of a preexisting pagan myth that permeated much of the previous five thousand years prior to Jesus? I'm not talking about similarity about the origins of the world, I'm talking about similarities of the entire story of Jesus Christ himself and those of other godmen that preceded him. (Born of a virgin, son of god, raised the dead, water to wine, crucified, buried in a cave, resurrected on the third day, died for our sins etc. etc.) If we all came of the same origins then if I believe in Mithras will I go to heaven? If not, why not? It's the same story. If it isn't the same story, name me one original piece of christianity that makes it different from the pagan religions.

The point is that Christianity is the original storyteller of this event (that is, God's Son). The Bible warns against false teachings of others (and false prophets). Just because a religion is similar does not mean that it is the way of getting into heaven.

SN95 wrote:
How is that a prophecy of Jesus? It says he, it doesn't say Jesus. It's your interpretation that makes you feel this is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

In the verse, satan's offspring refers to the sin that corrupts the world. Eve's offspring refers to Jesus Christ. Satan will strike his heel (torture followed by death), and Jesus will crush his head (destroy sin by defeating death in the resurrection). This is not an interpretation of my own. This is what it says.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 04:45 pm
Right on, 00. I'm with you 99.9%. All of our languages and religions originated on the plains of Shinar. The collective world religions, known in the Book of Revelation as 'Babylon the Great' will meet their fate as described in the 17th and 18th chapters of that book. Exciting, isn't it?
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 04:50 pm
....When I was at the Amazon.com, a couple of days ago gathering titles that showed the African travels to the American shores years before Columbus, or the Vikings, I accidently ran across some references to the earths eariest religions, which are of course in Africa. You can venture there yourself, if you have a hankering for the truth. Most likely though, I realize that I will probably have to retrieve them myself, when I have more time tommorow.
0 Replies

SN95

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 04:52 pm
Quote:
The point is that Christianity is the original storyteller of this event (that is, God's Son).

If the exact story has been told thousands of years prior to Christianity, how can Christians claim to be the originators? If I copy "War and Peace" today would that make me the original author of that work too?

Quote:
In the verse, satan's offspring refers to the sin that corrupts the world. Eve's offspring refers to Jesus Christ. Satan will strike his heel (torture followed by death), and Jesus will crush his head (destroy sin by defeating death in the resurrection). This is not an interpretation of my own. This is what it says.

This is the very definition of interpretation. If it refered directly to Jesus then why was his name not used? Wouldn't that be easier? You equate striking of the heal with torture by death and crushing of the head with destroying sin by resurrection. That is your interpretation (or those who have lead you to believe so).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 05:02 pm
No, 00 Agent Kid, that is not what it says, as SN95 correctly pointed out, that is how you choose to interpret it. If it said precisely what you claimed it had, you would not need to provide explanations of the symbolism you claim lies therein.

SN95 makes a good point about religious beliefs which pre-date christianity. In particular, the Aryan tribes of the Medes and Farsi/Persians had such a belief system, in the form of Zoarastrianism. The Hebrews were exposed to this belief system during the Babylonian captivity. While i do not know the credentials and therefore cannot endorse as expert Dr. M. D. Magee, listed as the author, this site gives a rudimentary explanation of the introduction of those belief sets into the middle east. (Now, i just hope no one comes along and demonstrates that this web site is a facist front.)

Upon a closer examination, this seems to be a full-blown, bull-goose looney christian site. Oh well . . . i do suggest a study of Zoarastrianism for those who wish to explore the origins of many of "the world's great religions."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 05:06 pm
neologist wrote:
Right on, 00. I'm with you 99.9%. All of our languages and religions originated on the plains of Shinar. The collective world religions, known in the Book of Revelation as 'Babylon the Great' will meet their fate as described in the 17th and 18th chapters of that book. Exciting, isn't it?

This is a truly pathetic statement. You look forward to the comuppance of all those who have the temerity not to agree with every jot and tittle of your personal superstitions? That is so disgusting.
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 05:09 pm
This ought to get your blood to boiling 00,
.....I have read in several places, that in various Art museums in Europe. there are paintings showing Maddona and Christ, as black.
0 Replies

SN95

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 05:18 pm
Neologist,

Still waiting for you to "get back to me" in the "How to get to heaven when you die" thread. Take your time, I just hope you haven't forgotten about me. Smile
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 05:53 pm
I've said it before , and I'll say it again,..."The Christians and Muslims, make the Crips and the Bloods look like a high school debating team."
...I mean, talk about cajones, these guys go into a strange land, and say with a straight face. "Alright now, We are the Hebrews, Our leader, now deceased, went up into the mountains, and came back saying our God told him this is our promised land, you are now occupying. So, if you can except our God that you've never heard of, we'll let you live. If you insist on keeping the God your parents told you about, we'll have to kill you and take take your land.......In the name of God of course Twisted Evil "
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 08:50 pm
Setanta wrote:
neologist wrote:

This is a truly pathetic statement. You look forward to the comuppance of all those who have the temerity not to agree with every jot and tittle of your personal superstitions? That is so disgusting.

Look, I may be a pathetic old geezer. I was born in New Jersey; what can I say. But I refer you to your post HERE What's that about?

BTW, I'd rather be trashed by you than almost anyone else on the forum. I appreciate your no BS style.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 08:52 pm
SN95 wrote:
Neologist,

Still waiting for you to "get back to me" in the "How to get to heaven when you die" thread. Take your time, I just hope you haven't forgotten about me. Smile
Going back shortly.
0 Replies