Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 05:10 pm
I have tried for a long time to not thumb down people I disagree with.

I post up for sometimes good writing with which I disagree (not all that often, but yes) and for posts that took effort to find or write at length, sometimes, stuff that takes work.

I'll thumb down once in a while insulters re their disagreeing w people in mucho vulgar ways, but it is true I've let some go, more often than not, as I usually don't thumb down that way.. Meantime we have random zeroers, and fun for zero type fingers. Even today there is a zeroer at large.

I'm thinking of trying to stop, but my wish to post up for reason of effort is brain imbedded, and so can be agreement to me. I understand that can get to be obnoxious.
So, as a first try, I will try not to fix stuff by others.

We'll see how long that lasts. I will report after I test it out for a while. I'm not sure this is a useful idea, as of course I'd rather not reward fun zero builders or hating zero builders.

McGentrix

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 05:34 pm
If you are going to thumb down every post by a user, just go ahead and ignore that person.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 05:40 pm
@McGentrix,
I agree, for sure.

I have been known to myself to peek and then thumb down, which I take as tacky but I've done it. I got over ever doing that fast, but it has happened. I'll assume I'm not the only one that did that to Quahog, but it is/was stupidity by me, anger. Obviously better expressed by posting in disagreement.

Point being, thumbs can carry emotion.
farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 08:47 pm
@ossobuco,
wrong finger
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 08:57 pm
@farmerman,
Tell me, tell me..
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 08:59 pm
@ossobuco,
I just did.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 09:06 pm
@farmerman,
I know, I was being a brat.

Oddly, no matter my history of aggravation or anger, I've not been a third finger person female. Well, hey, there is still time.

Glad you are up and at em.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 09:28 pm
I thumb up a person if I think the down thumb unjustified, even if I don't care for the comment myself.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 09:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
Me too.

I'm stopping that for this period. I've been Ms Tidy Fix for years.

I want to see what happens when I don't.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 04:55 am

I used to mass thumb down people who were mass thumbing down me. However more recently I just thumb up other victims of mass thumb downs.

I've stopped doing even that since the talk about disciplinary action against mass thumbers. I am sure it didn't refer to people who were only "making repairs" but it's always best to stay out of the line of fire.
Miss L Toad

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 05:08 am
Quote:
Thumbs

Twiddle.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 06:06 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
I used to mass thumb down people who were mass thumbing down me

Maybe I'm being a little slow here, but how can you tell who has thumbed you down?

Quote:
I just thumb up other victims of mass thumb downs.

What is the difference between a 'mass thumbs down' and plain disapproval or disagreement?
layman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 07:01 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

Quote:
I just thumb up other victims of mass thumb downs.

What is the difference between a 'mass thumbs down' and plain disapproval or disagreement?

Uhh, one is more massive, maybe?

Alla yawl please feel free to massively thumb down this post, OK? I'm goin for the record.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 01:53 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't use thumbs. If I dislike a specific person, or persons with what they have to say, I just have them on IGNORE and never, ever read their posts...

Many of the posters to the POLITICS threads are on my IGNORE list.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 02:19 pm
Reporting - I'm finding it terribly hard not to thumb up the posts of people who have apparently been zeroed for disagreement or extreme dislike, which is of course people's thumb-given right to do. I've just been interested this week on whether it does any good at all. I'll give it another day before I succumb to my old ways of trying to make posters feel better.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2016 04:06 pm
@ossobuco,
My test period is over, I can't help myself.
Not that I thumb all zeroes up, no way, but sometimes I fix when I see it as retaliatory to someone in some way, or even just for fun by bozzos. Especially when I see it to people new here.

I did learn the obvious, that I have sight for people who I disagree with but no reason to post down for assholeness, and they get to have their right to their opinion, and people who write something I agree with, whatever point it was, downed by others. In my no fixing mode, I don't get to post up there either.

Brrrr.

I know lots of actually sane people avoid the thumb thing. I may need to try it.

That may be my next test, but not yet.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2016 04:37 pm
Nobody has answered my question, namely: how can an individual tell who has downvoted them? I suspect the answer is "They can't".

I also don't see how anyone can tell whether an particular post's low score (i.e. zero or less) is due to malicious downvoting or genuine disagreement or diapproval. I suspect the answer to this is likewise "Nobody can tell that".

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2016 04:39 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
correct and correct
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2016 04:57 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
I suppose sometimes you can sort of tell by who is presently posting on the boards if it happens right away.
I didn't start this thread to name people who downpost, Tes yeux noirs. I am talking about process.
It is about my thoughts on the whole thumbs business, and of course people get to put in their two cents since I essentially asked.
It is about fixing, adding up thumbs to downthumbed posters, pro or con on that.

Me, I try hard not to downpost for disagreement, and sometimes when I see that happen (even when I agree with the downpost for good reason), I'll thumb up. Or not. I suppose it is dependent on my own remaining sense of humor.

I will downpost for racist garbage or similar, weird attacks, insultathons.
neologist

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2016 06:29 pm
I've just thumbed up every post in this thread.
So, sue me!