Sudan: a Third Front?

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 01:02 pm
Quote:
My son (an engineer with Conoco Phillips) explained in language way too technical for me to follow why hydrogen fueled cars would be far too costly and impractical and would be even less energy conserving and possibly less environmentally friendly than using diesel and gasoline. He believes other alternate forms of energy for transportation will be developed for universal use long before hydrogen can be made practical.

I read an article not too long ago which basically confirmed for me what your son has told you. Basically it's so expensive and you would need so much fuel to go more than 5 miles that you'd end up sitting on a hydrogen fuel tank -- which probably isn't a good idea. At least that's what I think I remember of the article. Also, the hydrogen hyped in the latest administration plan comes from fossil fuels.

I've always been curious why the already existing hybrid technology (Honda and Toyota) isn't hyped more for the simple fact that it already exists. Toyota even has a hybrid SUV coming out soon. Whenever I inquire about these cars I'm told there is a wait list a mile long. It seems like we could toss a tax break at Toyota and Honda and get them to make more. It's not the complete solution but it seems like a step in the right direction and maybe a natural bridge to fully electric cars. Then maybe there could be different ways to generate the electiricity for the cars -- water, wind, nuclear, etc...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 01:20 pm
as the price of oil keeps going up due to awakening economies competing fo it,Hydrogen economies will make sense. Remember, if we add on the per barrel cost to protect our oil supply, its already at 55 bucks a barrel. (You just pay for it elsewhere)

The present feed stock of Hydrogen is oil, so yes its original formulation would be more expensive because wed have to crack the oil first , then go and develop the Hydrogen gas .its only difficult, unless we rely upon fuel cell technology. We are heading to hydride tech eventually. ford is building a Hydogen engine for 2005. Where to gas up , remains a problem.i heard on NPR that if, we listened to Jimmy Carter 30 years ago, where would we be. Too bad all this is so politicized
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 01:34 pm
Actually I think it is more ideology re environmentalism vs practical concerns and/or economics more than politics. For instance:

"Alaska is much larger than France and Germany -- combined. Yet its population is less than one-tenth that of New York City. Keep that in mind the next time you hear some environmentalist hysteria about the danger of "spoiling" Alaska by drilling for oil in an area smaller than Dulles Airport."--Thomas Sowell

His point is that another way to approach the problem is to be looking at safe, environmentally friendly ways to go after our own vast off shore oil reserves and/or in places like Alaska. That could buy us time to work on other solutions that as Freeduck suggests, could be encouraged with a bit of financial incentive. When it comes right down to it, the profit motive is the most compelling motive there is to get hard things done.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 12:16 am
It's been 30 days. Time for the UN to spring into action.
0 Replies