Sudan: a Third Front?

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 10:14 am
Quote:

At any rate, welcome to A2K FreeDuck.

Thank you. I'm quite enjoying the level of discourse.

Quote:
Idisagree that the US has weakened or emasculated the UN in any way.

When the star player is no longer with the team, is that team not weaker?

Quote:
At the same time, we can just about count on the UN voting against the US in a large majority of the cases.

This is interesting. I'm not entirely familiar with the votes in the UN so perhaps you could enlighten me.

Quote:

While cooperation is always preferable to unilateralism, and opportunity for cooperation should always be on the table, I will not support any elected official who deems it necessary to get the approval and/or consent of the UN before doing what is best and right for and by the United States.

I don't think any sovereign nation should give over its right to use force in self defense unilaterally. However, it seems to me that the level of threat to our country from Iraq was not high enough to warrant it, though I'm guessing you feel otherwise.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 10:47 am
FreeDuck writes:
Quote:
I don't think any sovereign nation should give over its right to use force in self defense unilaterally. However, it seems to me that the level of threat to our country from Iraq was not high enough to warrant it, though I'm guessing you feel otherwise.

Yeah I do as did most of the current adminstration, apparently most or all of the previous administration, and most of Congress. A review of the efforts of the US to enlist support from the UN on this issue shows that we went the second, third, and tenth mile before choosing to go it alone. We didn't abandon the UN. We were rejected and refused by the UN.

As for the voting record by the UN re the US, I'll admit I'm working from perception of memory here. I have to go to an appointment now, but later will see what I can google up on that unless somebody beats me to it.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 10:55 am
Free Duck, allow me to introduce you to Foxfyre. Slightly right of center with a deep theologistic understanding and a wonderful self-depracating wit. An enjoyable adversary in any debate. :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 11:05 am
A lot of data can be found here.

Quotation from that website:
Quote:
As the International Criminal Court came into being on July 1, 2002, ratified by 90 nations, the United States took bold steps to undercut it, complaining that the new court would subject US nationals to a politically-motivated international justice. The US insisted that the Security Council adopt an omnibus resolution exempting all UN peacekeepers from the jurisdiction of the Court or, at least, that each new renewal of UN peacekeeping operations would include an exemption for that operation. A year later, the US insisted the resolution be renewed. In both cases the US threatened to veto all resolutions renewing peacekeeping operations unless the Council agreed to the new language. The move set off a firestorm of international protest and provoked strong opposition from most other nations. Security Council members stated that the Council should not be used to override international treaties and expressed shock that the US would be willing to wreck UN peacekeeping missions in order to demonstrate its objections to the Court.

The battle has wider significance than the jurisdiction of the ICC alone. It may prove a defining moment in the relations between the superpower and the rest of the international community. Even if the US "wins," and imposes its will, it will have created hostility and counter-alliances to challenge the domination of the US hegemon.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 11:08 am
Quote:
Free Duck, allow me to introduce you to Foxfyre. Slightly right of center with a deep theologistic understanding and a wonderful self-depracating wit. An enjoyable adversary in any debate.

Thank you for the introduction. I am certainly enjoying the debate!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 11:14 am
Quote:
FreeDuck writes:
Quote:

Yeah I do as did most of the current adminstration, apparently most or all of the previous administration, and most of Congress.

Most or all of the previous administration felt that the threat to the US from Iraq was so great that we should unilaterally attack in self defense?

I think if you look into it you might find that the administration only went to the UN to satisfy Congress, and only went to Congress to satisfy the UN. And that, in any case, they were determined to go to war.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 11:18 am
Thanks for the link Walter. It is most interesting...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 12:30 pm
FreeDuck

This is way off topic, but I just got to know...

Is it "Free" as in "free speech", or as in "free beer".
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 12:39 pm
3rd possibilty: as in "Free Mandela"
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 12:48 pm
ebrown:

Quote:
FreeDuck

This is way off topic, but I just got to know...

Is it "Free" as in "free speech", or as in "free beer".

Walter:
Quote:
3rd possibilty: as in "Free Mandela"

I think I will leave that determination up to you. But I really like the ones you've chosen. Just don't mistype duck part...
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 12:52 pm
FreeDuck writes:
Quote:
I think if you look into it you might find that the administration only went to the UN to satisfy Congress, and only went to Congress to satisfy the UN. And that, in any case, they were determined to go to war.

I can put up (again) a long list of quotes by Bill Clinton, many members of his staff and cabinet, members of Congress including prominent Democrats that including presidential candidate John Kerry, all stating the imminent threat posed by Saddam Hussein with overt or implied consent and/or encouragement to deal with him militarily. Not one of these quotes includes a reference to the UN. A brief sampling:

Aug 9, 2004 5:34 PM (ET)
Quote:
GRAND CANYON, Ariz. (Reuters) - Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry said on Monday he would have voted for the congressional resolution authorizing force against Iraq even if he had known then no weapons of mass destruction would be found.
Taking up a challenge from President Bush, whom he will face in the Nov. 2 election, the Massachusetts senator said: "I'll answer it directly. Yes, I would have voted for the authority. I believe it is the right authority for a president to have but I would have used that authority effectively."
http://news.myway.com/top/article/id/381249|top|08-09-2004::17:46|reuters.html

Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003.
Quote:
"[W]ithout question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his contin ued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real ..."

Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002.
Quote:
"There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next five years ... We also should remember we have always underestimated the progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction."

Quote:
We urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs."
Letter to President Clinton, signed by Sens. Carl Levin, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, and others Oct. 9, 1998

John Kerry's Statement on Iraq Before the War
TEXT FROM THE SPEECH JOHN KERRY MADE ON THE SENATE FLOOR
October 9, 2002
Quote:
With respect to Saddam Hussein and the threat he presents, we must ask ourselves a simple question: Why? Why is Saddam Hussein pursuing weapons that most nations have agreed to limit or give up? Why is Saddam Hussein guilty of breaking his own cease-fire agreement with the international community? Why is Saddam Hussein attempting to develop nuclear weapons when most nations don't even try, and responsible nations that have them attempt to limit their potential for disaster? Why did Saddam Hussein threaten and provoke? Why does he develop missiles that exceed allowable limits? Why did Saddam Hussein lie and deceive the inspection teams previously? Why did Saddam Hussein not account for all of the weapons of mass destruction which UNSCOM identified? Why is he seeking to develop unmanned airborne vehicles for delivery of biological agents?

Does he do all of these things because he wants to live by international standards of behavior? Because he respects international law? Because he is a nice guy underneath it all and the world should trust him?

It would be naive to the point of grave danger not to believe that, left to his own devices, Saddam Hussein will provoke, misjudge, or stumble into a future, more dangerous confrontation with the civilized world. He has as much as promised it. He has already created a stunning track record of miscalculation. He miscalculated an 8-year war with Iran. He miscalculated the invasion of Kuwait. He miscalculated America's responses to it. He miscalculated the result of setting oil rigs on fire. He miscalculated the impact of sending Scuds into Israel. He miscalculated his own military might. He miscalculated the Arab world's response to his plight. He miscalculated in attempting an assassination of a former President of the United States. And he is miscalculating now America's judgments about his miscalculations.
http://www.independentsforkerry.org/uploads/media/kerry-iraq.html

There are quotes from Bill Clinton himself, his secretary of state, etc. that are just as instructive even apart from the bombings and missile strikes ordered by Bill Clinton without any consultation with the United Nations.

Now then, on what basis do you determine that the administration was determined to go to war without the consent of Congress? And where do you find a mandate from Congress that UN cooperation/support was required?

The link Walter provided is instructive and is especially so when you hae difficulty finding the specific text of the various resolutions referenced there. Just at face value, as the United States provides a center of operations for the UN, provides a huge chunk of the UN operating budget, and more often than not puts more of its blood and treasure at risk than any other nation, I rather think the US deserves and rightfully demands a voice in what it will and will not support related to US and allied interests.
I find it difficult to fault policies that refuse to consign us to ugly stepchild status were we are supposed to pay up and be seen, but not heard.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 12:54 pm
Quote:
I find it difficult to fault policies that refuse to consign us to an ugly childhood who is supposed to pay up and be seen, but not heard.

I think we have a problem playing well with others, is all.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 12:56 pm
I disagree. I think we play better with others than most. But I think we're perceived as a bully purely because we do protect our own interests and have the clout to do that.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 01:01 pm
At what point does protecting your own interests at others' expense become wrong? Because we do a lot of that in the U.N., yaknow.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 01:04 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
At what point does protecting your own interests at others' expense become wrong?

Interesting question... Does that point ever come?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 01:05 pm
Maybe we should ask the Israelis...they have a lot of practice in these matters.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 01:15 pm
Wow, that's some quote hunting you've done. I confess, though, that I don't know what I'm supposed to rebutt. Did Kerry say that Iraq was a threat to the US so severe that we must unilaterally invade? Did Clinton? Was Kerry part of the previous administration and why do you quote him so much?

Quote:
Now then, on what basis do you determine that the administration was determined to go to war without the consent of Congress? And where do you find a mandate from Congress that UN cooperation/support was required?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A61040-2002Aug25?language=printer

Monday, August 26, 2002
Quote:
Lawyers for President Bush have concluded he can launch an attack on Iraq without new approval from Congress, in part because they say that permission remains in force from the 1991 resolution giving Bush's father authority to wage war in the Persian Gulf, according to administration officials.

Quote:
Bush has said repeatedly he will consult lawmakers before deciding how to proceed but has pointedly stopped short of saying he will request their approval.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2318785.stm
Quote:
The resolution calls on Mr Bush to certify to Congress - either before a military strike or very shortly afterwards - that diplomatic and other peaceful means have failed.

While that doesn't specifically say "go ask the UN" it does illustrate my point. Many who voted for the resolution in Congress did so after being promised that the administration would seek diplomatic means first. It's just my opinion on how things went down.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 01:16 pm
It would be constructive I think to put up a list of UN resolutions favorable to the US and a list of UN resolutions opposed by the US; ditto for Israel. I'm still looking for something to support my theory here.

Cyclop, do you have any specific examples of how the US hurt anybody else by protecting its own interests?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 01:25 pm
From a previous thread.My thanks to reinc. of suzy and setanta.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29661&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Afghanistan (twice)
Turkey
Colombia
Pakistan
Zaire
Iraq
Argentina
El Salvador
Haiti
Grenada
Nicuragua
Brazil
Kosovo
Cambodia
Ethiopia

(edit)

Yer list is kinda short, there, Boss . . . you left out Mexico (1845, 1911, 1913, 1916), Japan (1854), Korea (1871) . . . don't forget stealing Panama from Columbia; and Guam, Puerto Rico, Cuba and the Phillipines which we stole, fair and square, from Spain. We've been in the Dominican Republic as often as we've been in Haiti. We went into Nicaragua in 1933 for the first time. You left out Chile, and there is strong suspicion that we overthrew the Australian government of Gough Whitlam in 1975. You also forgot Iran--we gave them a bright, shiny new Shah-in-Shah in 1954, and disposed of Mohammed Mossadegh.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 01:27 pm
What about Central Asia?
0 Replies