Robert Reich Says Smug Democrats Are Kidding Themselves Thinking This Next Election Is In The Bag

glitterbag

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 08:07 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

You don't think there is a large group of voters who take umbrage at having one guy pass laws to curtail their rights as gun-owners?

I'm not saying it's the correct stance - but you are sorely incorrect if you don't think it's true.

The right to bear arms is a BIG deal to a hardy segment of American voters.

And their right to bear arms is not impinged. This so-called hardy segment of American 'voters' usually are not register voters and if they are they don't turn out. They are as able to examine pros and cons much Jim Jones followers.

For those people who are convinced every administration since Christ was a Corporal conspire to rob us of our precious guns and lock them up so the citizens can't defend themselves against the Government, they should be looking at the information themselves, not passing the responsibility for truth to slick opportunists.

I have owned weapons for forty years. I no longer own a hand gun because of a near tragedy many years ago. I still own long guns. But, I would purchase a handgun if I believed I needed one, with no fear I would be denied despite Chicken Little Sky is falling, bullshit hysterics of people who are not willing to look at the facts.

I would like to see some common sense action regarding gun ownership, but I would protest with every fiber of my body any attempt to ban access to firearms. I suspect what you and the other nervous nellies think is that people who want stronger gun regulation don't own guns. We do, and we defend the 2nd amendment but people who stupidly believe their right to blow birds out of the air will be taken away are an embarrassment. These are the same people who believe frogs and toads give you warts.

Lash, we all know people like that, but I don't want those idiots making policy that denies me my Constitutional Rights.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 09:12 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I won't even bother pointing out that it is not the presidents job to pass a legislative agenda.

Successful presidents advance a legislative agenda and convince the legislature to pass it.

Take for example Mr. Obama's first term. It was highly successful because he got Obamacare passed.

Mr. Obama's second term was a dismal failure due to his inability to get any sort of legislative agenda passed. The only things he got passed in his second term are the things that the Republicans wanted even more than he did.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 09:22 pm
@oralloy,
And what do successful legislatures do?
oralloy

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 10:58 pm
@maxdancona,
Is there such a thing?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 08:19 pm
@maxdancona,
They do what they're doing now. Gridlock.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2016 07:56 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Take for example Mr. Obama's first term. It was highly successful because he got Obamacare passed

Obamacare passed because for that short window of time we had a supermajority in the senate. The supermajority didn't last too long after the death Ted Kennedy and election of Scott Brown.

Quote:
The U.S. House of Representatives was safely Democratic as a result of the Nov. 4, 2008, elections by a margin of 257 – 199; the Democrats had gained 21 seats from the 2006-07 Congress. The real interesting ACA political dynamics began during the November 2008 U.S. Senate elections.

Going into the 2008 elections, the Senate consisted of 49 Democrats, 49 Republicans, and two Independents (Joe Lieberman of Connecticut and Bernie Sanders of Vermont) who caucused with the Democrats. When the smoke cleared from those elections, the Democrats picked up eight seats to increase their majority to 57-41 (although Democrat Al Franken’s recount victory was not official until July 7). With the two Independents, the Democrats were one vote shy of the supermajority magic number of 60 they needed to ward off any filibuster attempts and move forward with broad healthcare reform legislation.

But on April 28, 2009, the dynamics changed when Pennsylvania Republican Arlen Spector changed parties, giving Senate Democrats that coveted 60th vote.

Now the Democrats had a safe majority in the House and a filibuster-proof supermajority of 60 in the Senate. That scenario lasted only four months before fate intervened. Sen. Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts died on August 25, 2009, leaving the Democrats, once again, with 59 seats (counting the two Independents). Exactly one month later, on September 25, Democrat Paul Kirk was appointed interim senator from Massachusetts to serve until the special election set for January 19, 2010 – once again giving the Democrats that 60th vote. But the intrigue was just beginning.

With the supermajority vote safely intact once again, the Senate moved rather quickly to pass the ACA – or ObamaCare – on Christmas Eve 2009 in a 60 – 39 vote (Kentucky Republican Senator Jim Bunning chose not to vote since he was not running for reelection). The House had previously passed a similar, although not identical bill on November 7, 2009, on a 220 – 215 vote. One Republican voted “aye,” and 39 Democrats were against.

There didn’t seem to be an urgent need for Democrats to reconcile both bills immediately, because the Massachusetts special election (scheduled for January 19, 2010) was almost certain to fall to the Democrat, Attorney General Martha Coakley. After all, no Republican had been elected to the U.S. Senate from the Bay State since Edward Brooke in 1972 – 38 years before! But in yet another twist of fate, Republican Scott Brown ran his campaign as the 41st senator against ObamaCare and shocked nearly everyone by winning the special election by 110,000 votes.

source

Should be lesson to all us, elections, any of them, matter and have consequences.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2016 12:00 pm
@revelette2,
It always amazes me to see so many Americans against universal health care. A healthy country is necessary to compete in the world marketplace.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2016 12:02 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
Should be lesson to all us, elections, any of them, matter and have consequences.

you need to get out there and get people to vote in the mid-terms - I like the way you just said that so straightforwardly Smile
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 12:58 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
Obamacare passed because for that short window of time we had a supermajority in the senate. The supermajority didn't last too long after the death Ted Kennedy and election of Scott Brown.

It also passed because Mr. Obama spent political capital to get it passed. If he hadn't, it would never have passed.

In his second term, Mr. Obama would have had to compromise with the Republicans instead of pushing a partisan bill, but assuming that he did so, he could have used his political capital to get something significant passed.

Instead he wasted all of his political capital throwing a tantrum at the NRA.

Result: Wasted second term and a Republican victory in 2016.
revelette2

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 11:00 am
@oralloy,
The ACA didn't need political capitol, democrats have been wanting universal healthcare for years and looked on the Affordable Health Care bill as a stepping stone towards that goal. It sure didn't go near far enough for us to like it on it's merits and I am hopeful we get a democrat president, democrat congress in 2016 and get busy and improve on Affordable Health Care we currently have.

The republicans from day one were not going to do anything Obama wanted, they flat out came out and said so more than once so there was no chance Obama was going to have cooperation from republicans who developed the policy of just say no to the duty of their roles in congress.

All of the polls have showed a majority of Americans support those measures which most of the democrats and the Obama administration has pushed for passing into law. Once again you are completely wrong when you said he expended his capitol, he never had any to expend except for those who support the gun control background checks as well. Your whole argument is completely bogus but I know you will just keep repeating the same in almost the exact same words. You are so predictable.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 12:00 pm
@revelette2,
I find it interesting that many republicans enjoy the benefits of Obamacare, but they want to squash it. One of the great mysteries of our times.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 10:16 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
The ACA didn't need political capitol,

Had Mr. Obama not spent political capital on getting it passed, it would never have passed.

revelette2 wrote:
democrats have been wanting universal healthcare for years and looked on the Affordable Health Care bill as a stepping stone towards that goal. It sure didn't go near far enough for us to like it on it's merits

You got your universal health care and you still aren't happy? Sheesh!

revelette2 wrote:
and I am hopeful we get a democrat president, democrat congress in 2016 and get busy and improve on Affordable Health Care we currently have.

Your hopes will be in vain. Mr. Obama blew his second term and lost the 2016 election for the Democrats when he wasted all his second term political capital throwing a tantrum at the NRA.

For what it's worth, Republicans use terms like "Democrat Party" instead of "Democratic Party" as a childish way of annoying the Democrats.

revelette2 wrote:
The republicans from day one were not going to do anything Obama wanted, they flat out came out and said so more than once so there was no chance Obama was going to have cooperation from republicans who developed the policy of just say no to the duty of their roles in congress.

The Republicans didn't want to even bring up Mr. Obama's unconstitutional gun proposals.

Funny how, when Mr. Obama spent all of his political capital on the issue, he was able to force the Senate to bring the issue up for discussion.

revelette2 wrote:
All of the polls have showed a majority of Americans support those measures which most of the democrats and the Obama administration has pushed for passing into law.

I'm unsure whether you are suggesting support for health care or for violating the Second Amendment, but alleged popular support doesn't matter much regardless of which you meant.

revelette2 wrote:
Once again you are completely wrong when you said he expended his capitol, he never had any to expend except for those who support the gun control background checks as well.

Presidents always have a certain amount of political capital to spend when they are elected.

And Mr. Obama quite clearly spent his political capital in his first term getting Obamacare passed, and spent his political capital in his second term throwing a temper tantrum about the NRA.

Your "once again" is pretty bold language for someone who can't point out a single thing that I've ever been wrong about.

revelette2 wrote:
Your whole argument is completely bogus

We'll see which party wins the White House in 2016 and 2020.

The Democrats might as well save their energy. They won't have another shot until 2024. And by then the Supreme Court will be filled with right-wing justices.

revelette2 wrote:
but I know you will just keep repeating the same in almost the exact same words. You are so predictable.

It comes from my always telling the truth.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 10:19 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Your hopes will be in vain. Mr. Obama blew his second term and lost the 2016 election for the Democrats when he wasted all his second term political capital throwing a tantrum at the NRA.

This thread is going to be so much fun on November 9th!
roger

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 11:52 pm
@maxdancona,
That implies that some of us have actually found a candidate we like, instead of a lessor of evils.
revelette2

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2016 08:56 am
@roger,
Quote:
That implies that some of us have actually found a candidate we like, instead of a lessor of evils.

True that.

If you could have chosen anybody to run, who would have chosen? Me, Biden. But to tell the truth, I am happy enough with Hillary the more I read her talks(don't watch tv). I like Sanders, but I think he is a bit too soft on foreign and security matters.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2016 09:02 am
@roger,
Gary Johnson has announced he's in. I'm in good shape in that regard.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 06:24 pm
@JPB,
Who is Gary Johnson?
JPB

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 06:34 pm
@glitterbag,
Two term Republican governor of New Mexico who ran as R early on in the 2012 campaign but couldn't get enough traction in the debates and ended up on the Libertarian ticket in 2012. He's going for the Lib nod again in 2016.

http://ireadculture.com/gary-johnson-announces-run-for-presidency/
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 07:13 pm
@JPB,
He is? Well, fan me with a blowtorch! I liked him as governor, but haven't heard much about him since his last run at president. Some time when I feel more like writing, I'll tell you about the time I met him when he was first running for office.
0 Replies