Burning/Tingling in the neck, swollen tongue/throat, dry mouth

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 09:25 pm
It starts with swelling of the tongue and a dry mouth, then swelling of the throat. From there, I have a tingling and/or burning sensation that seems to stem from the center of my neck. That sensation spreads up the neck and to the face and head - and it spreads down the neck to my chest. My lungs do not feel tight, but the muscles in my chest (front, not back) feel like someone has bound them. Again, the lungs do not feel tight, but it feels forced to get in a deep breath, if I can get one at all. I do not run a fever, but everywhere I feel the tingling/burning sensation is warm to the touch. My face feels swollen but in looking, it's marginal. My eye lids are swollen to the point of feeling heavy and my eyes feel dry. My throat feels sore off and on, with no particular cause it seems. Again, I do not run an actual fever, but I go from cold and sometimes shivering while I sit, to sweating while up and moving around - mostly just on my face and neck area. After every "flare up" I am left exhausted. These flare ups even continued when I stopped eating for a day (as I was afraid it was some sort of allergic reaction) The first time, this all went on for 2 1/2 days before I went to the ER. I was diagnosed with strep throat - sent home with antibiotics, steroids because the swelling was so bad, and ibuprofen for any pain. It's been 2 1/2 days since my last dose of medicine (The antibiotics are suppose to continue working for 5 days after the last dose) and all of the symptoms returned this afternoon. I am convinced the steroids took away my symptoms - but I have no idea where to even start looking for answers. I took an ibuprofen this afternoon - it relieved me of the tingling/burning sensation - but the swollen tongue remained and tonight, my face and eyes feel warm and swollen. I'd be forever grateful to anyone that reads this and has any ideas. Thank you.

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 09:34 pm
@AshleyFairy,
You mention an allergic reaction (which is what it sounds like to this layperson) but were you treated with any antihistamines or other treatment (were the steroids for this?) for allergy?
Ragman

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 09:35 pm
@AshleyFairy,
Why is it you haven't returned to that doctor or a different doctor? This is no time to not demand answers.
neologist

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 09:46 pm
@AshleyFairy,
Welcome to a2k, Ashley.
If you survive the night, take Ragman's advice and call your doctor tomorrow, first thing.
AshleyFairy

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 09:58 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Initially, I thought it may be an allergic reaction. I took allergy pills, as much as allowed, and nothing changed. - The steroids were prescribed because of the swelling the doctor believed was related to strep throat.
0 Replies

AshleyFairy

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 09:59 pm
@Ragman,
Going Friday. Its the soonest I can go - unless it gets worse in which case, I will be going to the ER again.
0 Replies

AshleyFairy

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 10:00 pm
@neologist,
Going on Friday. If it gets worse, going to the ER.
Ragman

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 10:07 pm
@AshleyFairy,
Wishing you the best. Pls let us know how it turns out.

If it were me, I'd be back there quick like a boomerang.
AshleyFairy

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2015 11:22 am
@Ragman,
Thank you very much. - Will do.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2015 11:36 am
@AshleyFairy,
Once I had swollen tongue and it ennyoed me as I could not swallow or drink so I called my doctor and just casually asked what shall I do.
Five minutes later there was an ambulance outside my door to pick me up to take me to hospital
One can be strangled by ones swollen tongue - so be careful
AshleyFairy

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2015 05:38 pm
Thank you to all that responded. The Dr. says I have had an allergic reaction - the first Dr. seems to have gotten tunnel vision the moment he saw puss pockets, as I happened to be in the beginning stages of Strep Throat at the time, and he attributed all the swelling to Strep - between steroids and ibuprofen, all of my symptoms went away for a few days. This time, my throat was clear of puss pockets. Lucky for me, I am strict with my diet so I believe I have narrowed down the culprit to nuts. However, this rapid onset allergy points to something more going on with me. I am currently on steroids and allergy meds for a week, and from here, I am going to be even stricter with what I eat until I can get an allergy test and some blood work done to see what is going on. (Current possibilities being auto immune or leaky gut) Again, thank you to all that responded.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2015 05:51 pm
@AshleyFairy,
Keep us up to date, I'm very interested. I used to work for years in immunology research and allied clinical labs, but am way behind on real life medscience now. Besides, not interested just re what is going on, up to experts, but how you are doing with all of this.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2015 06:56 pm
@AshleyFairy,
I hope the doctors get to the bottom of it soon. Sounds like things are at least on the right track.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2015 07:37 pm
@AshleyFairy,
Ask you doctor if you should carry an epi-pen (I'm not sure of the spelling). It might be a life saver if you have a sudden on-set.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 09:42 am
@saab,
saab wrote:

Five minutes later there was an ambulance outside my door to pick me up to take me to hospital

5 Min for an ambulance? Which part of Sweden do you live in?
saab

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 11:24 am
@Miller,
Your knowledge about Sweden sometimes give the impression you have your
knowledge from the yellow press.
Maybe I live close to the ambulance station, maybe there was one just going by and happened to be close to where I live. I still had the doctor on phone talking to me - so that is how dangerous the doctor thought about a swollen tounge.
Maybe it was not 5 minutes but 6 or 7 or even 71/2 minutes.
0 Replies

AshleyFairy

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 03:16 pm
12/23 Update - Tuesday night and Wednesday morning of last week I had a very bad reaction. From keeping strict records, I figured out that the reaction was to a probiotic I'd been taking sporadically. Up until yesterday, I thought I was finally getting better, flushing the probiotic from my system and this would be the eventual end of this. I ended up in the emergency room last night - having another reaction. This time I was there as the reaction was occurring. The doctors were most concerned with my racing heart, but found it to be fine. They took 4 vials of blood, an EKG, X-rays and a urine sample. And the doctor himself was as baffled as I was. Everything came back fine, the only thing was, I appeared to be having an allergic reaction that no one can identify. Thyroid, Liver, Kidneys, Bladder, Electrolytes, Vitamins - all fine. My diet has been restricted since my second ER visit, I keep meticulous notes on everything I consume and every symptom I have and what time it all occurs. Yet, there seems to be no real link between these episodes and what I eat. There are no hives or rashes and no itching. No sneezing. Nothing has changed environmentally and when these reactions happen, I am most often at my calmest and most relaxed - without being asleep. But when it has happened, it's typically been 4 hours out from my last meal. Allergy pills do not stop the reactions as last night, I had taken 50mg and an hour later, was having the reaction. I go in next week for an allergy test. The only things I have been able to dig up thus far that make any sort of sense to me is Candida and/or Leaky Gut - as yesterday it felt like it might be the 1/2 of apple and mixed berries I consumed that set me off (which would be in line with Candida). The Dr. in the ER said it is not his expertise but after telling him about Leaky gut, even he agreed that that does sound like a possibility - given how many hours it is from consumption to reaction. At any rate, this is where I sit now. I will continue to document all things I consume, any reactions I have, and let you all know my progress as I learn new things. To those celebrating, Happy Holidays.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 03:22 pm
@AshleyFairy,
I hope you continue to seek medical advice, sounds scary. Speaking of scary you might want to check on the mental health side of the fence and before you take that the wrong way, I mean things like looking into whether anxiety is contributing to the physiological reactions and whether they might be feeding off each other. I hope that your doctors get you sorted and that you feel better soon. This doesn't sound like much fun.
AshleyFairy

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 09:56 pm
@Robert Gentel,
lol. That was precisely why I added in the bit about these episodes happening when I am at my calmest. I have been under a great deal of stress lately and examined that factor myself. However, when I've been stressed in the past, I've had other symptoms entirely so I know what stress and anxiety do to me physically - mostly just make me feel more run down than normal. But again, nearly every episode I've had, has been when I am at my most relaxed/ calmest/ comfortable. And the moment I feel one of these things starting, I immediately start a slow pace in an open area, focus on my breathing and usually call my Dad. All those things keep me calm while I am going through an attack/episode. But should Dr's not find anything though, I will check myself into a padded room pronto. Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 10:21 pm
I'm an old med tech, not a dr., and besides if I was I still wouldn't know, but I've some advice - find the best medical place around where you live and go there.

Be insistent. I remember when I wanted to get my eye checked at a university med center in my new area that I had to be insistent on the phone (like the place now a lot).

Roberta of a2k and I have some commonalities, speak up or maybe be louder, but coherent. Straight forward but insistent can work.

I got seen on 9/11, a pest at the desk, and yes, it was bc found after I did that, good hospital.. The whole hospital was crazy and I was too, for both things. I had worked there for years, years past. Not that that is privilege, but it helped me to be a push.

0 Replies