Dealing with his female friends

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 04:07 pm
I don't like my boyfriend's friends - the women. I think I've let this be known a little too much and offended them in the past. I know they are important to him but I'm not comfortable with him having close relationships with other women, plus I just find them annoying. Should I apologize to them when I'm not really sorry about the way I feel? Our relationship has ended over this issue before and I don't want it to again, but I can't seem to make myself comfortable with the idea of him spending so much time with other women, and often alone with one them. We both feel the other is being inconsiderate of the other's feelings and he thinks it's my insecurities and jealousy that are trying to control him. This is just not the way I was raised. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,040 • Replies: 23
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 04:18 pm
Hmm, that the reason given is that it's not the way you were raised concerns me a bit. As opposed to him giving you any reason to be uncomfortable with it, I mean -- that he and his female friends like to give each other massages, or something.

Relationships tend not to work if core values are too much at odds. It sounds like no matter what, you won't be comfortable with it, you'll just concede. And it sounds like no matter what, he would like to continue his friendships, male and female.

Since neither of you are, strictly speaking, WRONG -- it doesn't sound like he is doing anything that warrants your suspicions, but you were "raised" this way and it is a deeply held value/ feeling that is difficult for you to change -- it might just not work for you guys.

If that's a horrible thought for you, you may have to try your very best to just live with it. Maybe discuss some parameters with him; it's OK if he ____, but not if he ____ (massage, for example.)

Good luck!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 04:21 pm
How close is "close"?

If he goes places with them and talks to them about important matters, I'd have no problem with it. You should both be allowed to have all the friends you want of either sex. It makes for a healthy emotional life.

However, if there's serious flirting and/or sexual contact going on, I'd have a BIG problem with it.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 05:15 pm
I have a friend who was recently in a very serious relationship, they were even talking about marriage. My friend's fiancee was very strange about his friends. She just couldn't STAND us! She would yell at him for spending too much time with us, she'd call us whenever he was late from work to see if he was with us. It was a nightmare!

To this day I have no idea what she had against us, it got to the point where we never saw him and only spoke to him when he called from work. He was utterly miserable!!! It upset us greatly too.

Needless to say, they did not get married. They broke up very bitterly and will not have contact with each other.

I don't know why you dislike your boyfriend's friends, all I can say is that if his friends are important to him then you are either going to have to learn to live with them or leave him.

I am, however, very curious to know why exactly you find them so objectionable?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 12:56 pm
Hmm fortune, to my mind the gal you were talking about was starting to build a foundation of abuse. After all, isolating a person from his/her friends/family/support system, plus the yelling and too much checking up on someone, plus the unfounded suspicions, are all fairly classic tools of the abuser. Good to read that your friend got while the gettin' was good.

I agree with soz re the fundamental values thing. If there really are no other reasons to object (flirting, one of the friends is an ex-girlfriend or whatever), then the issue is inside you. And that's not necessarily a horrible thing, though it very likely indicates that there is a fundamental compatibility issue.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 01:01 pm
I think you have received some very valuable advice here.

I just have one thing to add: suspicion and jealousy are a terrible thing for anyone to have to deal with. He's already paying the price for actions he hasn't done - so he might as well do them. You're giving him every excuse in the world.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 01:16 pm
I've got a lot of female friends and I've dated a few girls who are crazy suspicious/jealous...it's ridiculous...

If I wanted to "be" with my female friends I would and I wouldn't be dating the girl I was dating.

You need to find a way to deal with your insecurities or move on - it's not fair to him.

...my two cents...
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 01:16 pm
Thanks, jespah. That explains a lot. There were days, however, when I would have liked to sit down with my friends fiancee and talk to her, find out what made her do the things she did.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 04:49 pm
I agree with the posters who say if he has already made it clear to you that (basically) his friends were there before you and that he doesn't see why his female friends are an issue since he isn't boning/flirting with them, then you may just have to suck it up.

However on the flip side...
I don't know where you stand religiously, but I personally was brought up/taught that your CLOSE best friends should only be the same sex, a preacher, or your family. For this reason, I do not believe in going to the opposite sex about relationship problems or personal ones. It opens up a door of friendship ...layers if you will... that are meant to be shared with only my significant other. Plus, it leaves you vulnerable at a later date when let's say you HATE (momentarily) your spouse/bf OR puts pressure on your friend of the opposite sex to not make the move after years and years of layers being unraveled (close relationship). This is why the Bible teaches to console in the same sex to avoid those temptations.

This is just my belief though and thankfully my Fiance's. I know there are many who do not believe this ever presents a problem because if he trusts his opposite sex friend, then you should, etc, etc. I'm just sharing another viewpoint.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 05:00 pm
I would actually say that most of my friends are male. I've never slept with any of them, I don't flirt with them and I do value them greatly. If someone (bf, husband) were to tell me that I couldn't see them just because they happened to have been born of a different gender I'd give them about 10 seconds to get out of the house before I murdered them and buried them in the back yard. lol

But then I really don't like being told what I may or may not do, anyway.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 07:55 pm
Heh. I can identify with that, fortune.

Joahaeyo, good luck to you. That seems like a recipe for disaster to me -- the whole "meant to be shared only with my significant other" -- but whatever works.

Just curious, what if the friend is a gay man? Or a lesbian? Is it the gender part or the potential relationship part that is more significant? Or are you just not sposed to socialize with non-heteros? ;-)
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 08:10 pm
For me, I view someone who is gay as another person. As a Christian, I'm sure you can guess that I think it is wrong for "living" such a lifestyle. However, I do not think it makes them a "bad" person. My old roommate is gay and we are good friends. That person goes to church weekly, prays, and also views this as a sin he chooses to indulge in. Kinda like the Christian who has sex before marriage, gets drunk every weekend, or whatever else. Makes the mistake and says, "well i'll remain a Christian but this is the one sin I choose to ignore" instead of trying to ask for forgiveness and what we believe "a new start." We're all human.

That can be another debate in itself. (useless at that b/c no one will leave with a changed opinion). I was only trying to share my opinion that was asked. Smile

We have not been in a situation where I had a lesbian as a best friend or vice versa, so I can't tell you how we would react. Most likely, their lifestyle would not be discussed nor would we ever ask about it. Common respect since it would be known that we are Christians.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 08:11 pm
I'm sorry, but where in the Bible does it teach to console only in same sex friends?

I suppose that when Jesus befriended Mary the Magdeline that he was being.... what.... a jerk?

I'm a little rusty on my religion.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 08:41 pm
Yeah, I must have missed that verse, too.

I have lots of guy friends as well as girlfriends. Some of the guys are much better at consoling me than the girls. (And I'm NOT talking about sex, Slappy. Sorry.)
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 08:46 pm
Joahaeyo wrote:
For me, I view someone who is gay as another person. As a Christian, I'm sure you can guess that I think it is wrong for "living" such a lifestyle. However, I do not think it makes them a "bad" person. My old roommate is gay and we are good friends. That person goes to church weekly, prays, and also views this as a sin he chooses to indulge in. Kinda like the Christian who has sex before marriage, gets drunk every weekend, or whatever else. Makes the mistake and says, "well i'll remain a Christian but this is the one sin I choose to ignore" instead of trying to ask for forgiveness and what we believe "a new start." We're all human.

That can be another debate in itself. (useless at that b/c no one will leave with a changed opinion). I was only trying to share my opinion that was asked. Smile

We have not been in a situation where I had a lesbian as a best friend or vice versa, so I can't tell you how we would react. Most likely, their lifestyle would not be discussed nor would we ever ask about it. Common respect since it would be known that we are Christians.

Regardless of whether or not you, or he, approved of their homosexuality - would you have an issue with the friendship based on the potential for sex between the two to become an issue. (As is the case in mixed gender friendships that you disagree with)
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 09:30 pm
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 11:30 am
Each to their own, I suppose. Personally I trust myself entirely. Besides which, I believe a spouse or partner should be primarily a friend, your best friend (maybe I'm alone in that?).

Yes, I am fully aware that guys have one-track minds, I also know how to put them in their place if they step out of line Very Happy .

The way I view it, sexuality is a part of human nature, neither fallen nor wrong, it has it's place and there's no real reason to fear it, just keep it in it's place. I would consider myself a lesser person if I gave up the things I value in order to avoid the possibility of temptation!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 11:44 am
Quote:
We never meet for coffee or a meal with an opposite-sex person. Never.

Shocked Good grief.

I actually agree with the concept of slippery slope -- there are things that are themselves fine that I wouldn't do because they could too easily lead to other stuff -- I just think the placement of that bar is... unreasonable, here. I mean, if we're talking slippery slopes, not EVER being allowed to have a meal -- or coffee! -- with an opposite sex person is not that far away from not ever being allowed to see a woman without a chador. Not because the man or woman are untrustworthy, of course -- what is untrustworthy is their fallen human nature. If they make a commitment to avoid even the appearance of evil, they will be much more effective in avoiding evil. So they don't want to provide any opportunity that might compromise their love for each other and their love for God.

On with the chadors!

Sorry Joahaeyo, I try hard to be respectful of religion and religious people (I am not one), and also don't want to make other Christians here who I respect a great deal uncomfortable by laying into you. But wow, that's some pretty backwards stuff you quoted, IMO.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 12:18 pm
I used to have a lot of male friends of which I also never slept with any of them. When my bf and I started to get really serious I decided not to spend as much time or any time with my guy friends anymore, and out of respect for the relationship my bf did the same with his female friends. We both still talk to our friends every now and then, but we don't see them very often anymore and we both respect the decisions we made.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 12:24 pm
Like I said, each to their own. For me, cutting out friends based on gender would be akin to getting rid of friends based on their eye colour; random, unfair, and heartbreaking.
0 Replies