Can ppl with thought disorder still be accepted?

Angel23

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 03:26 pm

I been diagnosed with thought disorder since middle school. I'm 26 now and it still affects me a great deal. Basically, it means my thoughts get really disorganized and I would make connections between ideas that aren't there and fail to see connections other ppl r making.

Formal term is derailment, meaning loose association. Ideas that are only loosely related or not at all regularly creeps into my conversations. Also, I can't answer a question without giving unnecessary, excessive details. After my diagnosis, I was put in special ed room in a regular public school and took most of my classes online.

Currently, I'm in college part time and working part time. Most people I meet talk to me, although less do than they talk to others. I kept my last job over 3 years bc my supervisor really worked with me. On the other hand, I stayed only 3 years bc a few of my coworkers didn't enjoy talking to me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 963 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 03:42 pm
@Angel23,
Well, many people snub me but that is because they're sane and are properly selective. Whereas I'm not that sane. Sanity is over-rated.

Seriously, you need to to adjust and learn more coping skills. Weren't you fired or warned at one of your jobs due to anger issues and/or speaking inappropriately to customer? You have some known cognitive issues. Weren't you diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome at some point? Or am I wrong?

And perhaps you need to gain some more impulse control. Work with your therapist. You're in long term counseling, aren't you?
Angel23

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 03:46 pm
@Ragman,
Yes but I'm hoping he could refer me to whoever can treat FTD (formal thought disorder.) I never knew my illogical thinking can be a turnoff until I go out into the world. Most ppl could tolerate but I'm angry that anyone couldn't tolerate.
Angel23

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 03:47 pm
@Ragman,
I have both diagnosis but no longer anger issues.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 03:52 pm
@Angel23,
I wish you luck with your issues. Some of these problems and consequences are long term and quite far-reaching and are best explained by your therapist.

I know that this is quite disappointing; however, the focus about how well you're liked can be a distraction. As you've been advised here in the past on the prior threads, having a job where you are less exposed to customers...might be of help.

The best advice you can get is from your therapist.
Angel23

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 03:53 pm
@Ragman,
Thx.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 04:25 pm
@Angel23,
Hi, angel. We've talked for years. I have probably "barked" at you early on in our conversations. I like your pluck. I don't know if you know that old fashioned word, something I used to hear years ago about people who keep going and trying.

I'm glad you are in college. I've long thought that you are quite bright (you have rather good language ability, that is obvious, and good reasoning ability that can get waylayed), but have had confusion, which of course you well know about .

On other people? A lot of other people will have no clue about Formal Thought Disorder - I'd not heard of it, but begin now to understand. Knowledge can be power. In a way, you can educate the rest of us. Keep it up with whatever psychologists are working with you.

0 Replies