Gala

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 05:59 am
he truly was...
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 12:19 am
Henri Cartier-Bresson 1908-2004

Quote:
Captured through the lens of Henri Cartier-Bresson's 35-millimeter Leica, a photograph was never merely just a picture of a bicycle passing a spiral staircase, or a boy toting wine bottles down a street. It was an instant of serendipity, when subject, geometry, and motion aligned as they never would again. The French photographer, who died last week at 95, always sought that "decisive moment," whether it was in a refugee camp in India, at a picnic in France, or by a rural road in the American South. In doing so, he created many of the 20th century's most important and enduring images.
advertisement

"He was taking the ordinary and making it exceptional simply by using ordinariness," says Larry Towell, a photographer with Magnum, the photo agency Cartier-Bresson cofounded in 1947 that remains one of the top agencies today. Legions of photojournalists, like Towell, were inspired to follow his lead. When Elliott Erwitt joined Magnum in 1953, he told Cartier-Bresson that the reason he first picked up a camera was Behind the Gare St. Lazare, his now iconic vision of a shadowy figure leaping across a puddle. Erwitt's new mentor gave him a print of the piece with a dedication that still serves as inspiration. "He's our spiritual father--he's the pope," Erwitt says. "We learned his discipline, his way of seeing, his lifestyle."

That lifestyle required traipsing about the globe, ever mindful of every detail while blending in unobtrusively (he even taped over the metal parts of his camera to hide its shine). Once, Erwitt and Cartier-Bresson ended up in Rome together. "We met up with this movie director--Fellini--and went to a rough-cut screening of La Dolce Vita," he says. "That's the thing about photographers. You land in situations other people do not." Cartier-Bresson often purposely put himself in those places, as when he joined up with the French Army's Film and Video Unit in 1940. Captured by the Germans, he spent 35 months as a prisoner of war before escaping. Luck would play a role, too: He found himself in Delhi snapping Mahatma Gandhi just 15 minutes before the leader was assassinated.

Many other celebrities served as his subjects--Truman Capote, Che Guevara, Marilyn Monroe, William Faulkner, the Dalai Lama--but as in the rest of his work, they were never formally posed. He captured Martin Luther King Jr. hunched over a desk of papers with a palm slapped over his forehead and Henri Matisse surrounded by birds as he sketched at home.

It was an astounding body of work. And yet, in 1966, Cartier-Bresson quit Magnum. He would return to his early love: painting and drawing. His camera emerged rarely in the last years of his life; instead, he sketched figures and landscapes. When his friends from Magnum stopped by to visit, he would shy away from discussing his earlier career. But even if Cartier-Bresson was uncomfortable discussing his photographic legacy, the art world is not. As Erwitt says: "He can only get better with age. People's clothes change, automobiles change, but the eye and the emotion, that doesn't change." In other words, even though one of photography's greatest masters is gone, the decisive moments he fixed on film aren't going anywhere.

Link
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 12:26 am
Back tomorrow...
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 12:30 am
I don't see your point.

There is as recently as now a obituary about him.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 12:56 am
My point is that I will post about him tomorrow, I need to go to sleep now, eh?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 01:04 am
Thok, Osso gets a little snippy without her beauty rest. :wink:
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 01:08 am
hehe around midnight ,alright
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 11:36 am
Laughing
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 01:38 pm
ok, your post?
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 02:02 pm
You're one of those demanding types aren't you Thok :wink:
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 03:20 pm
Thok is a treasure. What you see is what you get.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 04:24 pm
I'm not sure what kind of comments you're trying to elicit but I could talk about Bresson all day.

Its amazing that he shot all that with his little Leica. He had the ability to see what everyone else wandered right on by.

Whether he was shooting Marlyn Monroe or cotton pickers in South Carolina his subjects had a dignity that nobody else conferred on them. Only the pompus and arrogant suffered under his lens.

I have an amazing book "Henri Cartier-Bresson And The Artless-Art" that I recommend any HCB fan read.

In my opinon there are only a few photographers that even come close - and they are chroniclers of the everyday as well - Roy DeCarava, Diane Arbus, Robert Frank, Dorthea Lange and Mary Ellen Mark. To a lesser degree I'd add Weegee.

All of these photographers seemed to have a compassion for their subjects that you just don't see with anyone else. In our current world of gadget driven, equipment heavy, all trick and no treat photography, the simplicity of HCB is just mind blowingly good.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 04:27 pm
Amen!
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 04:41 pm
yes, good post.

Rick d'Israeli wrote:
You're one of those demanding types aren't you Thok

Nope, it was simply a question and

panzade wrote:
Thok is a treasure.

Nope.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 06:32 pm
I respectfully disagree Thok.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 08:24 pm
Hey, I have links I've saved on Bresson that I wanted to share, as I have admired him for many years, but I bookmarked to say I'd be back tomorrow. Tomorrow is today. I got a challenging remark for that and tried to make light of it saying I'd be back, eh? Batch of semisnarls, which I replied to before work this morning with a smile.

At this point I am tempted to say the hell with it. Why should I explain to you why I have loved Bresson when you don't want to hear that I will be back posting the next day?

I don't understand the jibing and the fury, what is it about? That I didn't want to compose the probably somewhat emotional posts I might have about his work and who he was right that minute? Do you not understand that people book mark to come back and talk on a thread?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 08:55 pm
I am fairly amazed by the hostility to me here. I like all of you, or thought I did. Why is putting off talking such a blow to you?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 08:58 pm
I don't think I was hostile, osso.

I'd love to hear what you have to say.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 09:11 pm
No, you weren't at all, boomerang. And I planned to just talk on Bresson, but my first post was late at night and I didn't have time before work the next day, and in the meantime I am getting all these vibes I don't understand the hostility of..

all I can figure is that I shouldn't have said the half word 'eh'?

This is a new piquance for a2k, not to say eh. Trust me, I didn't mean 'eh' as an insult, Thok.
0 Replies