Setanta

Thu 10 Dec, 2015 12:21 am
Orient long meant the middle east and the subcontinent (i.e., India/Pakistan/Bangladesh). The term orientalist to denote someone who studied the languages, literatures and cultures of Asia was in common use until quite recently, and as Walter shows, is still in use in some institutions today. There may be some westernized Chinese or Japanese who object to that term, but i don't know of them.

Somebody twitting McG about being "PC" is, however, truly hilarious.
Olivier5

Thu 10 Dec, 2015 01:15 am
@Setanta,
Edward Said pretty much burried the word and discipline of orientalism in his first book.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 10 Dec, 2015 01:36 am
@Olivier5,
Actually, 'orient' has a different meaning in various countries and languages.

Like: we've got here university institutes "for oriental and south-east Asian culture", the Grupo Oriental means the Azores ...
Olivier5

Thu 10 Dec, 2015 01:41 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I agree that some things should be banned and calling someone a term that is readily recognized as a crude obscenity like the "c" word is one of those things. I get nervous when people say they want to ban "misogyny" or "racism" not because I favor either but because there, currently, is too broad a range of actions or comments being termed one or the other. It's not necessary to determine if a person who has called a member a foul world is, in addition to being a crude lout, also a bigot or a woman hater. Ban the unacceptable behavior not unacceptable thought and there won't be a problem with someone being banned for subjective reasons.

All of the things you suggest should be banned can be clearly warned against and clearly identified when they occur. Banning them is not like banning "racism".

You've been making a lot of sense on this thread, Finn. Kuddos to you.
Olivier5

Thu 10 Dec, 2015 01:51 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

panzade wrote:

orientals

FYI, That is a racist term.

Mc is right: The terms oriental, orientalism, etc. are considered western-centric.

Another poster used the term "colored" here recently. That's also considered racist in my neck of the wood. These things are endless.
layman

Thu 10 Dec, 2015 01:57 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Mc is right: The terms oriental, orientalism, etc. are considered western-centric.

For me, anything east of me is east, and anything west of me is west. Kinda funny how that works, eh? Not to even mention how RACIST it is.
layman

Thu 10 Dec, 2015 02:00 am
@Olivier5,
For me, heaven is up, and China (like hell) is down. I think that tells ya all ya need to know, right there, eh?
Builder

Thu 10 Dec, 2015 02:19 am
@layman,
Quote:
...and China (like hell) is down

Then you'd wanna hope hell doesn't put a trade sanction on the US of A, because most of your goods come from hell.
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Thu 10 Dec, 2015 02:47 am
What of the occidental tourist?
roger

Thu 10 Dec, 2015 02:49 am
@Miss L Toad,
Only by occident.
FBM

Thu 10 Dec, 2015 02:50 am
@roger,
When I take a vacation back home, I find that I'm disoriented the whole time.
roger

Thu 10 Dec, 2015 02:50 am
@Miss L Toad,
Hey, you edited while I was answering.

Bad toad. No flies for you.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 10 Dec, 2015 04:33 am
@glitterbag,
Over here, because of migration patterns, Asian normally means someone whose family originated in the Indian subcontinent, even if they made it here via Uganda or Kenya. Oriental usually applies to those further east like Chinese, Koreans and Japanese.
0 Replies

Miller

Thu 10 Dec, 2015 06:47 am
@Robert Gentel,
What is the difference between a "manager" and a "moderator"?
Ragman

Thu 10 Dec, 2015 06:51 am
@Miller,
One is a GS 13 and the other is a GS 11 - higher Federal pay-scale grade. The Manager may carry the gold clipboard.
Miller

Thu 10 Dec, 2015 06:56 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The term "Oriental" is used very frequently in some old Mr.Moto films.

Prior to the Civil Rights movement in the 60s and 70s the term "Oriental" was common in both the Midwest and on the West coast.

The University of Chicago, as far as I recall has or had a very large Oriental Institute. In NYCity, St. John's University has a very well maintained and popular Oriental Institute, which in addition to the St. John's Law school is very well known.
blueveinedthrobber

Thu 10 Dec, 2015 07:08 am
@mark noble,
and yet here you are returning to post on a site you claim is **** that no one returns to.. I hope you do a better job controlling your bowels than you do your impulses.
George

Thu 10 Dec, 2015 07:16 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
What a sh*tty thing to say!
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Thu 10 Dec, 2015 07:48 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:

All of the things you suggest should be banned can be clearly warned against and clearly identified when they occur. Banning them is not like banning "racism".

Lets clear it up a bit: We can't ban Misogyny itself, but we can sanction misogynists who slur for example by using the c-word. We can't ban racism, but we can sanction racists who slur classes of people with hate speech and imagery.
Miller

Thu 10 Dec, 2015 07:54 am
@Miller,
With a mambership fee of $36/year per member and about 100 paying members, how will the resultant $3600/year cover the A2K upgrade, the manager's salaries, the moderator's salaries, the post maker's fee, the person with the best response's award? How far do you think $3600/year will go?

[I recall on 2 other threads , when the question of paying a fee to use the A2K site was asked, very, very few responders said they'd pay the fee. Some, went so far as to say, they were too poor to pay it.]
0 Replies