A Simple English Question

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 12:10 am
What is the difference between "Now" and " at this time"? I finished a technical report last week, the report has something like " The traffic volumes of the intersection does not meet the warrant now". My supervisor changed " now" to " at this time.”
So was he correct? Is that necessary to change my word?
Thanks!

View best answer, chosen by remington318
layman

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 12:15 am
@remington318,
Quote:
Is that necessary to change my word

No, it was not necessary. However, this sounds like some kind of formal report, and his substitution is a little more "formal-sounding," I suppose.
roger

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 12:24 am
@layman,
That's my take. "at this time" may emphasize the likelihood of a change at some future time, though the meaning really is the same as "now". I think I would change it, but not really not necessary. The question is really about how happy we want to make the supervisor.

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 01:34 am
Speaking as a British English speaker, I have noticed that Americans are more likely to say "at this time" where we would say "now".
0 Replies

layman
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 04:48 am
@roger,
Quote:
That's my take. "at this time" may emphasize the likelihood of a change at some future time...

Right, Rog. Sometimes "now" is used to mean that the need for something has disappeared, perhaps never to return, or to suggest that the job has been completed. If an intersection needs a stop sign, or example, and a crew goes out and puts one up, then we might say: "It doesn't need one now."

"At this time" would not generally suggest that possibility.
0 Replies

remington318

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 11:08 am
@layman,
So "at this time" is more professional. It implies under current conditions, a stop sign is not needed, but it doesn't exclude the possibility that it may be needed in the future. The future could be one year or even one month.
Whereas now means, or at least gives a hint, that a stop sign is not needed presently and in the future.
Am I right?
Thank you!
layman

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 12:14 pm
@remington318,
Yeah, you understand what I was saying perfectly. Again, I'm not saying "now" is "incorrect" and that it is necessary to change it. Just some thoughts on why "at this time" might be preferred by you supervisor.
remington318

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 12:27 pm
@layman,
Thank you! English is such a precise language!
layman

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 12:34 pm
@remington318,
You're quite welcome. Actually, English is very imprecise in many ways. I suppose it's the same with every language. But there's always a whole lot of ways to say the same damn thing.
remington318

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 01:03 pm
@layman,
Yes, you just made me thinking of something.
Is "currently" better than "at this time" in terms of professional and precise? A stop sign is not needed currently.
And, if I want to emphasize that a stop sign is never needed in this location, what is the proper, professional English expression? Just "A stop sign is not needed." ?or there is no professional English for never, because if you say something never, you will never sound professional?
Thanks!
layman

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 01:13 pm
@remington318,
Quote:
Is "currently" better than "at this time" in terms of professional and precise? A stop sign is not needed currently

Don't know if it's "better" but that's certainly a viable alternative. ..."does not currently warrant" or something along those lines would be fine, and again, would probably sound like it was more of a "considered conclusion" than simply saying "now."

Quote:
And, if I want to emphasize that a stop sign is never needed in this location, what is the proper, professional English expression?...if you say something never, you will never sound professional

Again, you could say it many ways. But you're right, "never" would be too absolute and suggest you perhaps hadn't given enough consideration to possible future contingencies. Better to put it in terms of probabilities, not certainties.

For example--"it will not warrant a stop sign now or in the foreseeable future."<---Actually that was rather awkwardly phrased. Better would be, for example, "There is no current or foreseeable need for a stop sign at this location."
remington318

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 02:17 pm
@layman,
wa!
Your English is so good!
Thank you so much for your time!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 04:53 pm
@remington318,
remington318 wrote:

Thank you! English is such a precise language!

No it isn't! If it were at all precise, you would have had one precise answer.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 04:54 pm
@remington318,
remington318 wrote:

Yes, you just made me thinking of something.
Is "currently" better than "at this time" in terms of professional and precise? A stop sign is not needed currently.

I would say the meanings are exactly the same.
remington318

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 06:05 pm
@roger,
Yes, I know the meanings are the same. My question was which one is more professional?
roger

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 06:18 pm
@remington318,
But, I meant exactly the same in all respects, including professional vs. non.
remington318

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 05:04 pm
@roger,
oh. Never heard of that.
Thank you very much!
0 Replies