while otherwise quite mysterious?

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 12:10 am
Does "The existence of psychopaths, while otherwise quite mysterious" mean "The existence of psychopaths, while other forms of existence/lifestyle are quite mysterious to them/psychopaths"?

Context:

Game theory suggests that evolution probably selected for two stable
orientations toward human cooperation: tit for tat (often called "strong
reciprocity" and permanent defection. Tit for tat is generally what we see throughout society: you show me some kindness, and I am eager to return the favor; you do something rude or injurious, and the temptation to respond in kind becomes difficult to resist. But consider how permanent defection would appear at the level of human relationships: the defector would probably engage in continuous cheating and manipulation, sham moralistic aggression (to provoke guilt and altruism in others), and strategic mimicry of positive social emotions like sympathy (as well as of negative emotions like guilt). This begins to sound like garden-variety psychopathy. The existence of psychopaths, while otherwise quite mysterious, would seem to be predicted by game theory. And yet, the psychopath who lives his entire life in a tiny village must be at a terrible disadvantage. The stability of permanent defection as a strategy would require that a defector be able to find people to fleece who are not yet aware of his terrible reputation. Needless to say, the growth of cities has made this way of life far more practicable than it has ever
been.

The Moral Landscape P68-69
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 663 • Replies: 7
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Tes yeux noirs
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 01:36 am
The existence of psychopaths, which is otherwise quite mysterious, would seem to be predicted by game theory.
oristarA

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 02:02 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

The existence of psychopaths, which is otherwise quite mysterious, would seem to be predicted by game theory.

That is, unless we use game theory to explain the existence of psychopaths, it (the existence of psychopaths) would be quite mysterious/would be impossible to explain?
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 02:46 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
That is, unless we use game theory to explain the existence of psychopaths, it (the existence of psychopaths) would be quite mysterious/would be impossible to explain?

Yes. You have understood correctly.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 04:23 am
@oristarA,
I don't get it, Oris. The existence of psychopaths aint nuthin mysterious to me. I is one.
oristarA

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 05:17 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

I don't get it, Oris. The existence of psychopaths aint nuthin mysterious to me. I is one.

You'll understand it if you explain it with science like Darwin's theory of evolution. Sam Harris did it this way.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 10:52 am
@oristarA,
Wow, what a paragraph.

"Permanent defection." Is that a term used in game theory, or is it something that Harris coined?
maxdancona

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 11:16 am
@InfraBlue,
I have seen the term "defection" used in game theory. I think "permanent" just being used as an adjective.
0 Replies