It is weird that I have difficulties to understand this simple passage

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2015 04:20 am
(1) What does " the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Arabia"? "Photons of day outnumber the sand grains" sounds nonsensical to me.
Does it refer to "good days outnumber bad days"?

(2) "Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton"? Keats was an unborn ghost? He just passed away and actually never became a ghost?Scientists greater than Newton are very few; Einstein was one, Darwin may be one of them if you don't mind. Who else?

(3)"We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people"?
Theoretically every pair of sperm and ovum can grow to be a fetus. But millions of sperm die in the competition for an available ovum. Is this what the author refers to?

(4) "that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred"? The vast majority have never stirred the prior state yet we have the right to stir it/get our life started?

Context:

“We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Arabia. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here.We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?”
― Richard Dawkins, Unweaving the Rainbow: Science, Delusion and the Appetite for Wonder

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
dlowan
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2015 05:41 am
@oristarA,
The subject of the sentence is not the light of day, it is all the potential people who will never be born. It is they who outnumber the sand grains of Arabia.

The unborn ghosts are all the possible people who might have been born....they have never been born, thus, like ghosts, they do not exist. It is a poetic way of emphasising the point. He is making the point that of all the huge number of people who never came to be, there would have been potential genuiuses in every field, likely outclassing such wonderful poets as Keats ( a very well known Romantic poet in English) and geniuses like Einstein, Darwin, Newton etc.

Yes, the unfertilised ova and sperm who do not fertilise are part of what the author means....also, one supposes, all the people who might have been born of people who died in childhood, in war, of pestilence and starvation etc.

The prior state referred to is the state of non existence. He is saying how dare we whine because we must die and cease to exist when it is a miracle and wonderful privilege that we ever came to be in the first place.
oristarA

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2015 06:00 am
@dlowan,
Excellent.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2015 12:42 pm
@dlowan,
Wan I am impressed by your helpfulness, fortitude and determination, much as with some other members. Note you're back!! and again!! by the former; assuming back with a2k in which case hearty welcome, but again!?

Wan forgive an old fella. I do note however that many others don't even reveal that much in Profile and wondering whether there might be a widespread fear of ID
0 Replies