Still wanna defend him?

swolf

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 11:21 pm
the reincarnation of suzy wrote:
Ah, so you fianlly caught a lie! "Creative editing".
While I don't appreciate manipulation like that,
I haven't noted or heard of any other examples in the film. Seems to me that his basic take is right on. Sorry.

Bullshit.

I mean, the guy (Moore) starts out accusing W of moving the binladen family back to SA while nothing was flying and now Richard Clarke, the demmy hero of three months ago, is calling Moore a liar and claiming he alone made that call. You demmunists can't even keep your own stories straight.

Typical hits from a google search on "Michael Moore"

Quote:

...Hey, I have a "future son-in-law" over there, DUDE. Asshole. I have no - no, absolutely none, can't for the life of me imagine - NO idea where this fat wanker gets his ideas from. Maybe I haven't spent enough time as a coddled, rich, fat piece of s**t[/b]. I'm sure that's it, it's all my fault.

...Back to my point... I HATE MICHAEL MOORE. His bulls**t should not hinder my right to own a handgun and have the ablity to defend my wife and home if need be. He is a liar, a fat piece of s**t[/b], and WILLFULLY deceptive. Let's look at words from the horse's mouth...

...f**k you and f**k michael moore, that douche bag is a piece of s**t liar. All he does is lie to make some money cause hes a fat piece of s**t[/b] with no real job.

...Who cares what the rest of the world thinks of us the Brits along with the rest of communest loving Europe can go F**k themselves, As for that fat piece of s**t[/b] Moore If he hates his county so much why the hell doesnt he leave. the french (frogs) would welcome him with open arms.

...First there was disgusting fat piece of s**t[/b] Michael Moore. Today Ted Rall, who has been an America hating low life for several years, tried to top himself and all the other bedwetting leftist. His 'toon was so offensive MSNBC s**t canned it post haste. The human garbage on the left, all Kerry supporters, are tripping over each other to see who can go the furthest in sodomizing Pat Tillaman's corpse.

...# Michael Moore...you no talent, fat piece of s**t[/b]! I can't believe you won an Oscar for capitalizing on someone else's misery. Quit using my oxygen!!! # Jesse Jackson # Jane Fonda # Barry Bonds

...This fat piece of s**t[/b] dared to make light about the terrorism of 9/11/01. This fat f**k who hides behind a camera actually had the balls (although I don't think a pussy like him actually has balls) to say places that voted for Bush should have been the targets for terrorism, not places that voted for gore. This fat piece of s**t[/b] needs to be arrested for treason, or at least for poor judgement. If there is a God, this disgusting obese pile of horse s**t will eventually explode, hopefully he'll explode in an area that voted for gore. FAT f**kING PIECE OF DISGUSTING s**t.

Somehow or other, one suspects that Americans don't like this guy as much as the french do.

http://www.uwm.edu/~picmack/mm.jpg

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life...
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 11:26 pm
When you think about it, nobody should need to take more than one look at Michael Moore to comprehend that he isn't right. I mean, the snout and a pair of tusks would be an improvement.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 11:51 pm
Teehee - "Demmunists".

Only in America could such a thing even be imagined in a fever dream....teehee....
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 06:13 am
I seen the film, I don't remember all of it. On the whole I found it to be troubling with all the connections between the Bush family and royal Saudi family. I also found it troubling to see how the army recruiters go after the poor neighborhoods and poor neighborhood stores and tell them how much how much better they can improve their lives if they join the service. I think of them as army pimps. I also found it troubling that as our service men and women are driving those tanks and fighter jets things they are listening to violent hate filled music; there were interviews direct from the soldiers themselves talking about it as though nothing was wrong with it. I also found it troubling at just how many people we killed in the invasion of Iraq. Those were the kinds of things I paid attention to the most and I would imagine that they are not made up. As for all the political stuff--I really didn't pay attention to most of it and if turns out to where some facts were distorted or wrong, then it still don't take away from what I found to be most depressing about the film.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 06:15 am
I think the use of "demmunists" is cute, as is most 3 year old vocabulary, pooh-pooh head!
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 06:53 am
revel wrote:
I seen the film, I don't remember all of it. On the whole I found it to be troubling with all the connections between the Bush family and royal Saudi family. I also found it troubling to see how the army recruiters go after the poor neighborhoods and poor neighborhood stores and tell them how much how much better they can improve their lives if they join the service.

Even with the conflict in Iraq, I'd like my chances in the US army a lot better than in many parts of LA, Chicago, or Washington DC. In most cases, army recruiters are doing those kids a favor.

I mean, nothing like Iwo Jima, Tarawa, or Okinawa has happened recently. We've had about 900 deaths in the year and a half of the Iraq operation which is about like the annual murder rate of one and a half or two of our major cities, and the people being killed in the cities are primarily the kinds of low-income youth you're describing.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 06:58 am
Hmmm reading through the posts, I still see nothing to improve Michael Moore's veracity, but I do see a lot of smoke screens and attempts to deflect the issue of his veracity.

I did do a search late last night and could find nothing that suggests Chris Hitchins identifies himself with the neocon movement other than other people's opinion that he does. Too often anybody who criticizes any issue/point of view favored by the left will be branded 'neocon' in its most insulting context. But I guess I'm hoping he has come over to the right side.

I will agree that Fox News 'distorts' facts if you'll show me what facts they've been distorting. Sometimes I'll hear them say that such and such has been previously reported; however, it has now been learned. . . --in other words I have seen them correct inadvertent misinformation.

Michael Moore has repeatedly defended his movie as factual, however, in the face of all those witnesses who testify that he is so blatantly misrepresenting, distorting, embellishing, and flat out lying about numerous points of the film. He has been so discredited that only the most blindly partisan could possibly continue to believe the documentary is anything other than malicious fiction.
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 07:26 am
Foxfyre wrote:

Michael Moore has repeatedly defended his movie as factual, however, in the face of all those witnesses who testify that he is so blatantly misrepresenting, distorting, embellishing, and flat out lying about numerous points of the film. He has been so discredited that only the most blindly partisan could possibly continue to believe the documentary is anything other than malicious fiction.

It's basically a propaganda film like Lili Riefenstahl used to make. In most countries, the guy would be in prison for it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 08:20 am
fortunately the US is not "most" countries.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 08:24 am
That's true. Sometimes this free speech stuff really sucks, but I guess I prefer it to the alternative.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 08:30 am
Swolf - you've gone too far. I most strenuously object to you putting a snout on Citizen Moore.

We pigs want nothing to do with him.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 08:33 am
Laughing
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 10:58 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
McGentrix, we don't talk very often, but I feel as if I know you.

Would you be willing to participate in a cage-match some time? One of those "to the death" events?

I appreciate your feedback.

You are far too wiry. Maybe to the first one hurt or bleeding, but not to the death.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 11:15 am
swolf wrote:
revel wrote:
I seen the film, I don't remember all of it. On the whole I found it to be troubling with all the connections between the Bush family and royal Saudi family. I also found it troubling to see how the army recruiters go after the poor neighborhoods and poor neighborhood stores and tell them how much how much better they can improve their lives if they join the service.

Even with the conflict in Iraq, I'd like my chances in the US army a lot better than in many parts of LA, Chicago, or Washington DC. In most cases, army recruiters are doing those kids a favor.

I mean, nothing like Iwo Jima, Tarawa, or Okinawa has happened recently. We've had about 900 deaths in the year and a half of the Iraq operation which is about like the annual murder rate of one and a half or two of our major cities, and the people being killed in the cities are primarily the kinds of low-income youth you're describing.

So your saying that if they are going to die anyway in a big city they may as well die over in Iraq? Gee, a real humanitarian.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 11:19 am
revel wrote:
I seen the film, I don't remember all of it. On the whole I found it to be troubling with all the connections between the Bush family and royal Saudi family. I also found it troubling to see how the army recruiters go after the poor neighborhoods and poor neighborhood stores and tell them how much how much better they can improve their lives if they join the service. I think of them as army pimps. I also found it troubling that as our service men and women are driving those tanks and fighter jets things they are listening to violent hate filled music; there were interviews direct from the soldiers themselves talking about it as though nothing was wrong with it. I also found it troubling at just how many people we killed in the invasion of Iraq. Those were the kinds of things I paid attention to the most and I would imagine that they are not made up. As for all the political stuff--I really didn't pay attention to most of it and if turns out to where some facts were distorted or wrong, then it still don't take away from what I found to be most depressing about the film.

I haven't seen the film, but I do know that the medium of film can be a powerful tool for propaganda. Skillful film editing can create fiction out of reality. Having seen Bowling for Colombine and reading some of his works, it appears clear to me that Moore is quite capable of manipulating the truth to advance his personal take on things. So, without having seen this film, I don't think it's a stretch to find its critics credible.

The Bush family was/is in the oil business. The Saudi Royal Family is in the oil business. It shouldn't be surprising that there are connections. What has been done with and through these connections is a legitimate issue for discussion. I have to admit that I have not studied the subject all that much, but assume (as I tend to assume with most charges made from the shadows against major politicians - Left or Right) that if there was any real meat on the bone, it would have been exposed by the major (and respected) news media: NY Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, Network news programs, Time magazine etc etc. Maybe I slept through the exposure of the Bush/Saudi Family Scandals, but I haven't seen it.

Having said this, I am troubled by how the Saudis seem to be coddled, but I don't believe there is anything more to it than our economic dependence upon oil. There is, almost certainly, some influence exerted on this administration by the American oil industry, just as there will be influence exerted on a Kerry/Edwards Administration by the Trial Lawyer's Bar. People are not elected to the presidency without the help of powerful and wealthy allies. Would that it were otherwise, and we should measure the candidates based upon how strong the influence is and may be, but it is what it is.

One of the few positions Kerry has taken that resonates with me is a national effort to develop energy alternatives to oil. Make no mistake though, there are special interests in this arena as well, and some that haven't even surfaced yet. Commercial alternative energy sources will, eventually create wealth and power which will seek to influence politicians. The folks who end up selling us any new energy source developed will not be a commune of tree hugging Greenies who ask only that we all plant a flower for every unit of new fuel we consume.

Young Americans are driving their cars around the streets of their country listening to violent hate filled music, and if you interviewed them, they would think there is nothing wrong with it. It's not as if the Army issues an Eminem or Bloodhound Gang CD with every soldier's kit. I can't stand the genre, but it's not unique to the young men and women in Iraq. The juxtaposition of popular music and combat/violence is probably very striking: It was in "Full Metal Jacket," and "Natural Born Killers" among others. Here we have a case of life imitating art. Is it surprising that these kids want a soundtrack playing on their experiences and that they are going to draw upon the popular music that they feel fits the experience? If this disturbs you, you need to explore the roots, not one of the flowers.

People die in wars, civilians as well as soldiers. I don't recall anyone in the Administration or military claiming that civilians were not being killed. Did they focus on it? No, but it would be rather peculiar for a military that is pursuing the goal of conquering a country to send home bloody photos of the civilians who have been killed or maimed in the effort.

Frankly, if anyone thought such things weren't happening in this war, they were kidding themselves, not being lied to by the government. Does an adult need to be told that when bombs reign down on a city, no matter how precise their targeting may be, civilians are going to die? The military made much of the precision of their weapons, and the media trumpeted it, and perhaps because they both were aware of the extent of the carnage resulting from less precise weapons.

War is hell and I don't know why people need to be shown pictures to appreciate this, but if they do, then they should be shown the pictures.
They do need to know that what is actually happening is not a Hollywood film, and that real people, and not just soldiers, are being killed and maimed. It makes support for a war difficult, which it should be. It needn't make it impossible though, because at the same time it is important to reveal the truth in the same graphic manner of what reality would be without war.

The only thing I can really say about the film is that it is a work of art, which means, for good or bad, it is one person's representation of reality; subject to bias, manipulation and downright falsity. Viewers who keep this in mind when they see it will probably, at least, have a thoughtful experience; those who do not, well they're liable to believe anything they see or hear on a screen - like that John Kerry can pay for all of his grand proposals by simply rolling back the Bush tax cuts on 2% of the American public.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 11:26 am
As economist Walter Williams points out, taxes are not levied on wealth but on income. However, some years ago he put up the figures showing that if all the WEALTH of the top 5% of Americans was confiscated by the government, it would run the country for about six weeks and then there would be enormous shortfalls due to the massive unemployment and elimination of income producing corporations that would have ocurred.

I would imagine his numbers presented back then would still be pretty accurate today.
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 12:49 pm
revel wrote:
swolf wrote:
revel wrote:

So your saying that if they are going to die anyway in a big city they may as well die over in Iraq? Gee, a real humanitarian.

All I'm saying is that many of them would be safer in Iraq than in LA or Chicago.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 01:54 pm
Quote:
All I'm saying is that many of them would be safer in Iraq than in LA or Chicago.

I don't believe the military is a good way to lessen violence in poor neighborhoods and cities. For one thing I think you had that discussion before with someone else (maybe craven) and he/she pointed out that what your saying is not accurate (though I don't remember the specifics) and for another if a person really wants to address the violence in poorer neighborhoods and cities they would address poverty rather than sending the youth of the cities to the military. The military should be an organization where the people are there because they want to be there rather than it being the only option besides dying in a gang or some other violent end.

I just find the idea of the military's recruiting people out there targeting poor people who already have a hard way to go sleazy and it is exploiting their environmental situation.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 02:30 pm
Saudi royal family lambasts Michael Moore for twisting the truth in his 9/11 film
(Filed: 01/08/2004)

In an exclusive interview, Prince Turki al-Faisal tells Con Coughlin why the US film-maker is so wrong

The Saudi royal family has launched a bitter attack on the American film-maker Michael Moore over his claims that the Bush administration secretly smuggled a number of high-ranking Saudi nationals out of the US in the immediate aftermath of the September 11 attacks.

Prince Turki al-Faisal: Saudi Arabian ambassador to the UK
In the first official comment by the Saudi royal family on Moore's controversial film Fahrenheit 9/11, a leading member of the family said his country has been fully exonerated of any complicity in the attacks by the report of the 9/11 commission.

More. . .

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/08/01/wsaud01.xml
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 03:01 pm
revel wrote:
Quote:

I don't believe the military is a good way to lessen violence in poor neighborhoods and cities. For one thing I think you had that discussion before with someone else (maybe craven) and he/she pointed out that what your saying is not accurate (though I don't remember the specifics) and for another if a person really wants to address the violence in poorer neighborhoods and cities they would address poverty rather than sending the youth of the cities to the military. The military should be an organization where the people are there because they want to be there rather than it being the only option besides dying in a gang or some other violent end.

I just find the idea of the military's recruiting people out there targeting poor people who already have a hard way to go sleazy and it is exploiting their environmental situation.

The military has long been an area of opportunity for people of lesser means. It's an excellent way for a young person learn a trade and/or have their education paid for; while serving their country.

It is much more of an opportunity for the less affluent than the most affluent and therefore it makes sense to focus recruiting resources on the former. Nothing sleazy about this.

In times of War the opportunity the military provides carries a greater risk without, necessarily, a commensurate increase in reward, but that fact isn't hidden from anyone.

You saw the film; I did not: Did the recruiters Moore depicted express the belief that they're actions were sleazy or did they call the recruits "suckers" behind their backs? Chances are pretty good that the recruiters were from backgrounds similar to those of the recruits. Are you suggesting they are modern day Kapos?
0 Replies