dismiss the notion...as?

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2015 12:34 am
Does "dismiss the notion of highly intelligent machines as mere science fiction" mean "dismiss the notion of highly intelligent machines because the notion thinks that highly intelligent machines are mere science fiction"?

Context:

As the Hollywood blockbuster Transcendence debuts this weekend with Johnny Depp, Morgan Freeman and clashing visions for the future of humanity, it's tempting to dismiss the notion of highly intelligent machines as mere science fiction. But this would be a mistake, and potentially our worst mistake ever.

MOre:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stephen-hawking/artificial-intelligence_b_5174265.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 983 • Replies: 8
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
dalehileman

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2015 11:14 am
@oristarA,
Yea Ori I'd say so, and in fact I agree most wholeheartedly.
even today some conversational programs are so competent that many humanoid participants can't tell
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2015 12:40 pm
@oristarA,
"To dismiss the notion of highly intelligent machines as mere science fiction" means to consider the notion (idea) of highly intelligent machines to be science fiction and therefore never likely to become reality.

oristarA

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2015 12:10 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

"To dismiss the notion of highly intelligent machines as mere science fiction" means to consider the notion (idea) of highly intelligent machines to be science fiction and therefore never likely to become reality.

The article continues:
Quote:
Looking further ahead, there are no fundamental limits to what can be achieved: there is no physical law precluding particles from being organized in ways that perform even more advanced computations than the arrangements of particles in human brains.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stephen-hawking/artificial-intelligence_b_5174265.html

That is why I posted the thread: the grammatical structure by the author is misleading..
layman

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2015 12:37 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
the grammatical structure by the author is misleading..

Not sure why you say this, Oris. The author is saying that:

Quote:
it's tempting to dismiss the notion

In this context he's saying it's "tempting," but it would be a mistake, to dismiss...
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2015 01:50 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
the grammatical structure by the author is misleading..

I do not see anything misleading in the text quoted.
0 Replies

layman
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2015 01:59 am
@layman,
Quote:
In this context he's saying it's "tempting," but it would be a mistake, to dismiss...

I really shouldn't have said "in this context." In any context the choice of the word "tempting" means there are good reasons not to do the thing you're "tempted" to do. Otherwise, you would choose a more neutral word, like "I'm inclined," rather than "I'm tempted."
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2015 02:26 am
Got it.
Thank you all.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2015 12:15 pm
@oristarA,
Ori I was clearly 'way back there somewhere. Contiually amazed at the perspicacity of the esl
0 Replies