Introducing John Kerry

mysteryman

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 04:43 am
Why is it that the left,when Clinton was in his first term,accepted everything Morris said as gospel,but now he is a right wing hack?
That doesnt make sense.Either he is reliable,or he never was reliable.Which is it?

Also,the left likes to accuse the Bush admin of being "chickenhawks",that nobody in the Bush WH has ever been in the military,yet they know that that charge is patently untrue.

Red,
You say that Kerry only had a certain amount of time to make his speech,and that his record in the Senate speaks for itself.
Let me ask this,the only way we can judge how a person will act is to look at how they have acted in the past,so therefore,the only way to judge Kerry's ability to be president is to examine his record as a Senator.

Also,Kerry said on Sunday on the Brinkley show that he has more experience then Bush,and that he has spent 20 years in the Senate "negotiating and fighting for treaties and other agreements with different countries".
I guess he doesnt realize that the Senate does NOT negotiate treaties,the President does.All the Senate does is ratify them.Thats basic high school govt class.
He claims to have a plan for Iraq,but he wont say anything" till he is elected"
That sounds to me like he is willing to let more troops die,just so he can make his plan.
Wouldnt it be better to say what his plan is,and maybe save some lives?
I dont live in Mass,so I dont know what Kerry has done for his constituents.But I know this,of all of the open door commitee hearings of the Senate Intelligence comittee,the committee he was on,he missed most of them.I believe there were 38 meetings,and he attended less then 10.
He has missed most of the votes in the Senate,he has not introduced any lasting legislation,he has voted exactly opposite how he said he would vote,he tried to gut our intelligence agencies with a bill that was so bad that even Kennedy opposed it,he voted "for the 87 billion before he voted against it",and yet you expect everyone to fall over themselves voting for him?
I know your mind is made up,and that the facts wont sway you,but the rest of us will base our vote on facts,not hatred of the president.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 09:06 am
Quote:
A dozen years is rather a long time to wait for someone to fullfill a promise to disarm. The point is that Iraq had a history of seeking WMD.

No I believe the POINT was supposed to be that they HAD them and intended to use them in 2004. What they had in the 80's and what they might have possibly someday wanted are completely different then them actually producing them and there being a threat. 1441 was passed in Nov. 2002, Inspectors went into Iraq shortly after. We expelled them in March and invaded. This shows to anyone with reason that we could have waited to allow the inspections to procceed. Fact is that N. Korea and Iran are much further along in their production of WMD and Nuclear Weapons then Iraq was and Iraq was contained thus no threat. It's disengenious to try and claim they breached the exact same resolution that WE breached or to even use the UN considering we keep running them down. Israel has been in breach of UN resolutions so why didn't we invade them? Nothing you put forth holds any water and you and the administration attempt to use SEVERAL YEAR old intel to prove a case now. It's lying no matter how you try to paint it.

Quote:
Neither you nor anyone else can show that no WMD have been produced since the first Gulf War, even now with the benefit of post-invasion hindsight, which we did not possess when we invaded. It is impossible to "contain" someone who has the option of sending an agent to sneak a WMD into your country and killing a huge number of people with that single weapon.

It's impossible to contain him even though we did? There was an easy bloodless way to find out if he had them..........inspections. Since NO ONE including his neighbors considered him a threat there was NO reason to invade in March. Inspections could have proceeded why we made a real case based on real evidence of this actual decade.

Quote:
In an age when your 100% certainly might come in the form of a mushroom cloud rising over what used to be Washington, DC, or a report on the morning news of a mysterious deadly plague breaking out in New York City and starting to spread to the rest of the country, we can no longer wait for utter certainty

Rolling Eyes Oh please! We have far more worries of attack with people right here in this country and from terrorist getting weapons from our ALLIES then we did iraq. It's dishonest to tie Iraq to terrorism they are two different wars I don't care how you try and twist yourself into a pretzel tyring to connect the two.

Quote:
1. No containment when one weapon smuggled into your country could kill a million people.

I have no idea what this means, you keep trying to imply weapons existed that didnt' exist while you ignore the fact that they exist elsewhere.

Quote:
2. Even after the invasion, we're not sure that WMD were never developed after the first Gulf War, and certainly weren't convinced of it based on the information we had when we invaded.

Well YOU may not have been but most experts, and the scientist there did say they didn't exist. Also the inspectors who were IN IRAQ UNTIL 1998 said they didn't exist and guess what ? we went in and THEY DON'T EXIST.

Quote:
3. I disagree that he proved no threat.

Disagree until you are blue in the face but fact show he wasn't.

Quote:

If several particularly noxious dictatorships are acquiring WMD, they are all threats and all must be dealt with.

Rolling Eyes So we should go play shoot em up in every country. Just curious with what troops and money are you proposing we do this? while we are busy playing cowboy who is going after the terrorist cells that exist all over the world?

Quote:
Show me where I said that Iraq helped to plan 9/11. I was talking about a future danger from WMD.

Ok so you didn't say it, Bush did, cheney did and every Republican out there is trying to make the connection but YOU didn't say that. Very Happy

Quote:

What kind of evidence do you want him to show to support his assertion that Kerry hasn't done much important in the Senate? You seem awfully reluctant to cite a few examples of Kerry's achievements.

I don't have to cite examples it's Dicks job. I love how you guys always change the rules depending on what excuse you are trying to make. First you will yell "prove it"! then when you are asked to prove it you turn it around and tell us to prove the negative. You honestly think this makes you appear clever when all it does it make you appear lazy and in denial. If Dick is going to claim these things to be true then he should show them to be true, his just claiming it doesn't make it so. That is the point.

Quote:
Why is it that the left,when Clinton was in his first term,accepted everything Morris said as gospel,but now he is a right wing hack?
That doesnt make sense.Either he is reliable,or he never was reliable.Which is it?

Prove to me that everyone on the "left" thought everything Dick Morris said was gospel MM. You assume something to be true and try to make your point around that.

I don't know much of what he said but if you want to put forth some actual quotes or points made while he was in office under Clinton I'll be happy to discuss them.

Quote:
Red,
You say that Kerry only had a certain amount of time to make his speech,and that his record in the Senate speaks for itself.
Let me ask this,the only way we can judge how a person will act is to look at how they have acted in the past,so therefore,the only way to judge Kerry's ability to be president is to examine his record as a Senator.

MM what does this mean? His record is there for everyone to read and decide for themselves. Shall we compare Cheney's record? Bush's record? If you want to talk records then let's pull them all out and take a gander.

Kerry's voting record, access to any others

Quote:
Also,Kerry said on Sunday on the Brinkley show that he has more experience then Bush,and that he has spent 20 years in the Senate "negotiating and fighting for treaties and other agreements with different countries".

So, what was Bush doing 20 years before he ran for office MM? OH yes he was getting drunk! Besides you need to provide the quote and put it in context just paraphrasing and then trying to show he lied won't work.

Quote:
He has missed most of the votes in the Senate,he has not introduced any lasting legislation,he has voted exactly opposite how he said he would vote,he tried to gut our intelligence agencies with a bill that was so bad that even Kennedy opposed it,he voted "for the 87 billion before he voted against it",and yet you expect everyone to fall over themselves voting for him?

Your facts are where? How many votes did he have avaible to make? How many times did he vote? You are wrong MM he didn't try to guy our intelligence and the 87 billion was part of another bill. If you are going to try and use his record then have the guts to use it properly and not spin it into something you want it to be. Stick with the facts not the Bush sound bytes you keep seeing in his political ads, or what Rush tells you.

Quote:
I know your mind is made up,and that the facts wont sway you,but the rest of us will base our vote on facts,not hatred of the president.

MM I stick to FACTS, you haven't presented any. Neither did Dick Morris nor did Brandon. Your opinions doesn't make a fact. A fact is something that exists on record and is irrefutable. If you want to talk Kerry's record in office then present specific actions, votes etc.. and then go onto illustrate how they would fall into the claims you make.

As soon as any of you put forth an actual fact then we can have a real "argument" however this regergitation of Rush/Rove sound bytes are not good enough to consider a real debate nor could they be described as "facts"
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 10:16 am
Redheat wrote:
Quote:
A dozen years is rather a long time to wait for someone to fullfill a promise to disarm. The point is that Iraq had a history of seeking WMD.

No I believe the POINT was supposed to be that they HAD them and intended to use them in 2004. What they had in the 80's and what they might have possibly someday wanted are completely different then them actually producing them and there being a threat. 1441 was passed in Nov. 2002, Inspectors went into Iraq shortly after. We expelled them in March and invaded. This shows to anyone with reason that we could have waited to allow the inspections to procceed.

You had previously taken exception to my statement that Iraq had long history of seeking to acquire WMD. You asked me in what way a decade or two qualified as a long history. When I said, "The point is....," my reference was specifically to that query and that one alone, not to the entire topic. I consider it to be relevant to the decision to invade that Iraq is known to have sought WMD, and sought also to conceal their WMD and WMD programs.

No one in the government said that Iraq intended to use the weapons in 2004. What the president actually said, in his 2003 State of the Union Address, was, "Some have said we must not act until the threat is imminent. Since when have terrorists and tyrants announced their intentions, politely putting us on notice before they strike? If this threat is permitted to fully and suddenly emerge, all actions, all words, and all recriminations would come too late."

Redheat wrote:
Fact is that N. Korea and Iran are much further along in their production of WMD and Nuclear Weapons then Iraq was and Iraq was contained thus no threat. It's disengenious to try and claim they breached the exact same resolution that WE breached or to even use the UN considering we keep running them down.

At the time of the invasion of Iraq, it was known that North Korea actually claimed to have several working nuclear weapons, developed while the Clinton administration slept. That meant that it was simply too late, and invasion would not be an option. If we were to attempt to invade, they could kill a million of our soldiers and/or South Koreans in the first hour. Now we have to negotiate with the North Koreans no matter how unreasonable or unyielding their demands, or how improper their actions. We invaded Iraq to prevent Hussein from acquiring the same level of near invulnerability.

Redheat wrote:
Israel has been in breach of UN resolutions so why didn't we invade them? Nothing you put forth holds any water and you and the administration attempt to use SEVERAL YEAR old intel to prove a case now. It's lying no matter how you try to paint it.

We didn't invade Iraq merely because it was in breach of UN resolutions. We invaded Iraq because it was in breach of UN resolutions regarding WMD, and we believed that Iraq's WMD posed a deadly future threat to the US and the West. We used the best intel we had available, and millions believed that Iraq still possessed WMD and WMD programs, which they may well have possessed. Where is the lying you refer to?

Redheat wrote:
Quote:
Neither you nor anyone else can show that no WMD have been produced since the first Gulf War, even now with the benefit of post-invasion hindsight, which we did not possess when we invaded. It is impossible to "contain" someone who has the option of sending an agent to sneak a WMD into your country and killing a huge number of people with that single weapon.

It's impossible to contain him even though we did? There was an easy bloodless way to find out if he had them..........inspections. Since NO ONE including his neighbors considered him a threat there was NO reason to invade in March. Inspections could have proceeded why we made a real case based on real evidence of this actual decade.

How do you contain someone who always has the option of sneaking a hidden WMD into your country and killing a huge number of your citizens with even one such weapon, then denying responsibility? All he would have to do is sneak just one single WMD of any type past you to strike a crippling blow against you? How do you contain someone in an age when this is an option for the person you are trying to contain? It's not like he would need to use ICBMs. You act as though the last round of negotiations was the beginning of the story. Hussein had been playing a cat and mouse game with the inspectors for over a decade. I have seen films of the inspectors being stopped outside a facility they are trying to enter and not allowed to enter with no explanation until some mysterious task inside is finished. Had Hussein been secretly retaining and further developing WMD, we would have had a finite window of opportunity before he simply became too strong to challenge. A small country possessing stockpiles of WMD, can defend itself rather well against anyone.

Redheat wrote:
Quote:
In an age when your 100% certainly might come in the form of a mushroom cloud rising over what used to be Washington, DC, or a report on the morning news of a mysterious deadly plague breaking out in New York City and starting to spread to the rest of the country, we can no longer wait for utter certainty

Rolling Eyes Oh please! We have far more worries of attack with people right here in this country and from terrorist getting weapons from our ALLIES then we did iraq. It's dishonest to tie Iraq to terrorism they are two different wars I don't care how you try and twist yourself into a pretzel tyring to connect the two.

First of all, I have never claimed that Iraq was in on 9/11, although it certainly had ties to terrorists. There is much evidence of this, including Russia's warning to us that Hussein planned terrorist attacks against the US. If Iraq had still had its stockpiles of biological and chemical weapons, and been continuing its biological, chemical, and nuclear weapon development programs, then it would have been a very significant threat, well worth acting on. We went to war because the totality of the history with Iraq implied a real likelihood that it did have these things, as it may indeed have. In an era when a small, unstable dictatorship, or terrorist group can harm us greatly by smuggling a single WMD into our country, we cannot afford to wait for total certainty, if we wish to survive.

Redheat wrote:
Quote:
1. No containment when one weapon smuggled into your country could kill a million people.

I have no idea what this means, you keep trying to imply weapons existed that didnt' exist while you ignore the fact that they exist elsewhere.

I am making the abstract statement that you cannot contain a nation which has had WMD and WMD programs, when that nation can damage your country severely by smuggling a single WMD into your country, setting it off, then denying responsibility.

Redheat wrote:
Quote:
2. Even after the invasion, we're not sure that WMD were never developed after the first Gulf War, and certainly weren't convinced of it based on the information we had when we invaded.

Well YOU may not have been but most experts, and the scientist there did say they didn't exist. Also the inspectors who were IN IRAQ UNTIL 1998 said they didn't exist and guess what ? we went in and THEY DON'T EXIST.

Prove to me that they weren't developed after the first Gulf War and then later destroyed or shipped out of Iraq for safekeeping. Iraq is about the size of California. Prove that they aren't merely well hidden.

Redheat wrote:
Quote:
3. I disagree that he proved no threat.

Disagree until you are blue in the face but fact show he wasn't.

Really, what facts???

Redheat wrote:
Quote:

If several particularly noxious dictatorships are acquiring WMD, they are all threats and all must be dealt with.

Rolling Eyes So we should go play shoot em up in every country. Just curious with what troops and money are you proposing we do this? while we are busy playing cowboy who is going after the terrorist cells that exist all over the world?

I am not proposing anything at all in that statement. I am saying that any particularly bad dictator in possession of WMD is a threat that must be faced and protected against. You show some signs of being unable to understand extremely simple English sentences.

Redheat wrote:
Quote:
Show me where I said that Iraq helped to plan 9/11. I was talking about a future danger from WMD.

Ok so you didn't say it, Bush did, cheney did and every Republican out there is trying to make the connection but YOU didn't say that. Very Happy

To the best of my knowledge, neither Bush nor Cheney said that Sadam was in on the planning of 9/11. They may have said that he could have been, as he could have, but I don't think they said that he was. Please cite your source for this claim.

Redheat wrote:
Quote:

What kind of evidence do you want him to show to support his assertion that Kerry hasn't done much important in the Senate? You seem awfully reluctant to cite a few examples of Kerry's achievements.

I don't have to cite examples it's Dicks job. I love how you guys always change the rules depending on what excuse you are trying to make. First you will yell "prove it"! then when you are asked to prove it you turn it around and tell us to prove the negative. You honestly think this makes you appear clever when all it does it make you appear lazy and in denial. If Dick is going to claim these things to be true then he should show them to be true, his just claiming it doesn't make it so. That is the point.

This is highly illogical. What kind of examples do you want Morris to cite to show that Kerry never did much of significance during his Senate career. The only one who could cite examples would be someone who claimed that Kerry did do a lot of significant things.
0 Replies

Justthefax

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 10:23 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Geez, Bill Clinton gets a few lousy blowjobs and he becomes Mephistopheles-on-the-Potomac. Dick Morris, in contrast, gets his toes sucked by a $200-an-hour hooker and, just because he's a Republican and he gets to write a column for the NY Post, he is somehow believable?

Really, I hope this is an indication that the right-wingers have decided that, since they can find it in their hearts to forgive the sexual transgressions of Dick Morris, they will now open their arms to all the other errant sinners out there who, in weaker moments, have o'erstepped the bounds of matrimony.

Bill Clinton, lied in court under oath, that is a crime. Had he told the truth when asked in court he would not have been impeached. Had he only sought women who wanted to do the many things he did then the crime would never have been done.

Bill Clinton Lied under oath, that is why he was impeached.

Besides can you trust a man who had an oath of fidelity between God, his wife and him. If he would break that oath will he break all others?

bill clinton is a very smart man and an excellent speaker, I do not trust him, and certainly when he comes to town is time to have a chaperon for all the young women.
0 Replies

Justthefax

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 10:34 am
Here is a list of Kerry's wonderful actions in the US Senate for the last 19 years:

Gee was trying to come up with a list and that is the best I can do.

How many times has he voted to raise taxes, every time there was a bill to do such.

How many times has he voted to lower taxes, Never.

And now he says he wants to raise taxes on people earning over $200,000 and cut taxes on the Middle Class,

So now it is about class envy, take from the rich and give to the poor.

If all personal income over $200,000. was taxed the Government would have enough money to run for about 1 week. If at the same time he cuts taxes to the middle class, and increase social spending where will the money come from.

Schools in Maryland recently did an audit and discovered they have not spent all the money that the Federal Gov. has provided.

Spending lots of money will not make things better, have you ever compared the public schools to Catholic Schools? Catholic schools spend much less and have much better results.
0 Replies

Justthefax

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 10:47 am
What happened with Michael Dukakis? A very liberal man who should have been there to welcome people to his state.

Or do they want to forget what Michael Dukakis did for the party?
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 12:31 pm
Quote:
You had previously taken exception to my statement that Iraq had long history of seeking to acquire WMD. You asked me in what way a decade or two qualified as a long history. When I said, "The point is....," my reference was specifically to that query and that one alone, not to the entire topic. I consider it to be relevant to the decision to invade that Iraq is known to have sought WMD, and sought also to conceal their WMD and WMD programs.

When was all this proven?

Quote:
No one in the government said that Iraq intended to use the weapons in 2004. What the president actually said, in his 2003 State of the Union Address, was, "Some have said we must not act until the threat is imminent. Since when have terrorists and tyrants announced their intentions, politely putting us on notice before they strike? If this threat is permitted to fully and suddenly emerge, all actions, all words, and all recriminations would come too late."

HUH? No you are right they didn't say it they would use them in 2004, they started saying they would use them "soon" in 2000 on through 2003. It's clear when 75% of Americans after 9.11 think Saddam was part of 9.11 and ready to attack us that the administration succussfully convinced some Americans that not only was Saddam ready to bomb our ass but that he alone caused 9.11. Anyway you twist it , it was misleading.

Quote:
At the time of the invasion of Iraq, it was known that North Korea actually claimed to have several working nuclear weapons, developed while the Clinton administration slept. That meant that it was simply too late, and invasion would not be an option. If we were to attempt to invade, they could kill a million of our soldiers and/or South Koreans in the first hour. Now we have to negotiate with the North Koreans no matter how unreasonable or unyielding their demands, or how improper their actions. We invaded Iraq to prevent Hussein from acquiring the same level of near invulnerability.

The Clinton administration slept? so what was Bush's reaction to N. Korea? Well he walked away from the table and told them to go F themselves. Then recently what did he do? EXACTLY WHAT CLINTON AND CARTER DID. You guys slay me with your hypocrisy.

NOW we invaded Iraq to PREVENT Saddam from aquirring weapons. So we have to now invade N. Korea, Syria, Iran and countless other countries in order to make sure they don't possibly get WMD? Wait I thought we invaded to liberate the Iraqi people? are you saying Bush lied? NO wait we invaded because he was ready to send a "mushroom cloud" in the words of Rice. No wait we invaded because he didn't abide by the UN resolution.

Fact is brandon the reasons for invasin change as quickly as the so called intelligence.

Quote:
We didn't invade Iraq merely because it was in breach of UN resolutions. We invaded Iraq because it was in breach of UN resolutions regarding WMD, and we believed that Iraq's WMD posed a deadly future threat to the US and the West. We used the best intel we had available, and millions believed that Iraq still possessed WMD and WMD programs, which they may well have possessed. Where is the lying you refer to?

Now wouldn't you have to PROVE THEY HAD THE WMD for them to actually be in breach of the resolution? What we did is say they had them, and then not allow them to prove the didn't and then attacked them for something that proved to be false. That is what happened.

Quote:
How do you contain someone who always has the option of sneaking a hidden WMD into your country and killing a huge number of your citizens with even one such weapon, then denying responsibility? All he would have to do is sneak just one single WMD of any type past you to strike a crippling blow against you? How do you contain someone in an age when this is an option for the person you are trying to contain? It's not like he would need to use ICBMs. You act as though the last round of negotiations was the beginning of the story. Hussein had been playing a cat and mouse game with the inspectors for over a decade. I have seen films of the inspectors being stopped outside a facility they are trying to enter and not allowed to enter with no explanation until some mysterious task inside is finished. Had Hussein been secretly retaining and further developing WMD, we would have had a finite window of opportunity before he simply became too strong to challenge. A small country possessing stockpiles of WMD, can defend itself rather well against anyone.

How do you contain someone? Well go back under the Clinton years and read up on it? Fact is that Saddam DIDN'T have WMD, and we did manage to prevent him from aquiring them. What was running around in his evil little brain about wanting them is irrelevant. Fact again Brandon is that we invaded on something that we couldn't prove and now we are trying to change the reasons we went in. You keep working off the idiotic premise that NO WMD means they exist. I don't know how anyone with an ounce of logic can honestly say with sincerity that our not finding any WMD proves that he was a threat. How the hell does that work?

Quote:
First of all, I have never claimed that Iraq was in on 9/11, although it certainly had ties to terrorists. There is much evidence of this, including Russia's warning to us that Hussein planned terrorist attacks against the US. If Iraq had still had its stockpiles of biological and chemical weapons, and been continuing its biological, chemical, and nuclear weapon development programs, then it would have been a very significant threat, well worth acting on. We went to war because the totality of the history with Iraq implied a real likelihood that it did have these things, as it may indeed have. In an era when a small, unstable dictatorship, or terrorist group can harm us greatly by smuggling a single WMD into our country, we cannot afford to wait for total certainty, if we wish to survive.

Certainly had ties to terrorist? From what information source do you come by this? Russia warned us prior to 9.11 that we would were going to be attacked with planes being used as missles. Besides you aren't actually going by all that Russsia said but are instead picking the parts you want to use to try and excuse the actions of the administration. There is NO way in hell Saddam was going to attack the US. He was evil not freaking stupid! Isn't it odd that you would think our going into Iraq which caused us to be less safe is somehow beneficial to us. How does that work brandon?

Quote:
I am making the abstract statement that you cannot contain a nation which has had WMD and WMD programs, when that nation can damage your country severely by smuggling a single WMD into your country, setting it off, then denying responsibility.

huh? that was a pretty abstract statement I have to give you that one Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Prove to me that they weren't developed after the first Gulf War and then later destroyed or shipped out of Iraq for safekeeping. Iraq is about the size of California. Prove that they aren't merely well hidden.

Prove to me that you are not a rapist, its the same kind of twisted logic. You want me to prove the negative.

I
Quote:
am not proposing anything at all in that statement. I am saying that any particularly bad dictator in possession of WMD is a threat that must be faced and protected against. You show some signs of being unable to understand extremely simple English sentences.

And you seem to be under the impression that terrorism is a simple proposition where all we have to do is go in with our guns blazing and show our testorone and all will be right with the world. Even when the opposite is being shown to be true.

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge, neither Bush nor Cheney said that Sadam was in on the planning of 9/11. They may have said that he could have been, as he could have, but I don't think they said that he was. Please cite your source for this claim.

You know if you aren't going to be honest then what's the point on contining this discussion. I won't even attempt to show you to be a liar because I think we both know you are.

Quote:
This is highly illogical. What kind of examples do you want Morris to cite to show that Kerry never did much of significance during his Senate career. The only one who could cite examples would be someone who claimed that Kerry did do a lot of significant things.

Geez I don't know maybe he could actually cite dates, events and actions and then go onto outline how this supports his claims. No wonder Bush gets away with lying and flip flopping without notice of his flock, when you have to ask how to show something then that tells me that you dont' understand or have forgotten what actual fact consists of. Talk about illogical. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 03:55 pm
Redheat wrote:
Quote:
...I consider it to be relevant to the decision to invade that Iraq is known to have sought WMD, and sought also to conceal their WMD and WMD programs.

When was all this proven?

The fact that Iraq sought WMD, and the fact that it attempted to conceal its possessions and programs from inspectors is pretty much in the public domain. For example, Iraq is known to have used nerve gas against the Kurds. I am extremely reluctant to spend the time to gather citations for facts which are not in dispute by virtually anyone.

Redheat wrote:
Quote:

HUH? No you are right they didn't say it they would use them in 2004, they started saying they would use them "soon" in 2000 on through 2003. It's clear when 75% of Americans after 9.11 think Saddam was part of 9.11 and ready to attack us that the administration succussfully convinced some Americans that not only was Saddam ready to bomb our ass but that he alone caused 9.11. Anyway you twist it , it was misleading.

The administration simply did not say that Hussein was know to be behind 9/11. You cannot construct a reasonable argument for condemning someone for saying something that he never said.

Redheat wrote:
Quote:

The Clinton administration slept? so what was Bush's reaction to N. Korea? Well he walked away from the table and told them to go F themselves. Then recently what did he do? EXACTLY WHAT CLINTON AND CARTER DID. You guys slay me with your hypocrisy.

My point is that one cannot now invade North Korea because it has already been permitted to acquire atomic weapons, and that by invading Iraq, we were attempting to prevent Saddam Hussein from acquiring this near invlunerability and power to kill huge numbers of people easily.

Redheat wrote:
NOW we invaded Iraq to PREVENT Saddam from aquirring weapons. So we have to now invade N. Korea, Syria, Iran and countless other countries in order to make sure they don't possibly get WMD? Wait I thought we invaded to liberate the Iraqi people? are you saying Bush lied? NO wait we invaded because he was ready to send a "mushroom cloud" in the words of Rice. No wait we invaded because he didn't abide by the UN resolution.

Fact is brandon the reasons for invasin change as quickly as the so called intelligence.

We did not invade Iraq to prevent a county that had mere thoughts of WMD from acquiring them. We invaded to prevent a dictatorship that had already acquired some WMD, had used them on its own civilians and a neighboring country, had had programs to develop other WMD, and had been deceptive about disarming, from acquiring a much more powerful stockpile of WMD including atomic weapons. Hussein was a man who would have been very dangerous with that type of power to kill people in great numbers easily. You are incorrect in your wish that the reasons for the invasion have changed. The reasons for the invasion are very simple. It seemed likely that Hussein had not destroyed all of his WMD, and had programs to acquire more and deadlier ones. The liberation of the Iraqis from a brutal dictator was merely a fringe benefit. A rather more minor reason was that it is not a good policy to ignore the fact that a country has ignored the terms of its surrender, but WMD were the reason for the invasion. Obviously, since no WMD have been found, the liberation angle gets talked about more now, but there is no deception in this.

Redheat wrote:
Quote:

Now wouldn't you have to PROVE THEY HAD THE WMD for them to actually be in breach of the resolution? What we did is say they had them, and then not allow them to prove the didn't and then attacked them for something that proved to be false. That is what happened.

That is not what I meant. The question of UN resolutions was not the primary motivation for the invasion. The motivation was the belief that Iraq probably had WMD and WMD programs, and that the WMD could well be used down the road to kill our people. Your use of the phrase "then not allow them to prove that they didn't" is a little odd, though, considering that we had given Iraq a dozen years to prove it.

Redheat wrote:
Quote:

How do you contain someone? Well go back under the Clinton years and read up on it? Fact is that Saddam DIDN'T have WMD, and we did manage to prevent him from aquiring them. What was running around in his evil little brain about wanting them is irrelevant.

I am making the generic statement that containment is no longer possible in the modern world, particularly when dealing with a country that retains the scientists who once developed WMD, and may even still possess WMD. If country A attempts to contain country B, all that country B need do is smuggle one single WMD into country A in order to strike a lethal, crippling blow - just one. Country A can never have tight enough control over country B to prevent a determined effort to get one WMD inside one of country A's cities. It is just silly to believe that country A can prevent a determined effort to do this. If Hussein had made a major effort to hide a few WMD, get one into the US, and set it off, he would have had a very decent chance of succeeding. It's not hard to hide a few WMD in an entire country, and it's not hard to slip something past our borders.

Redheat wrote:
Fact again Brandon is that we invaded on something that we couldn't prove and now we are trying to change the reasons we went in. You keep working off the idiotic premise that NO WMD means they exist. I don't know how anyone with an ounce of logic can honestly say with sincerity that our not finding any WMD proves that he was a threat. How the hell does that work?

I am not saying that finding only one or two WMD proves that he was a threat. I am saying that at the time of invasion, the totality of the evidence and history led many people to believe that there was substantial likelihood that Iraq retained WMD and WMD programs, and that we invaded based on that likelihood. Your statement that we "invaded based on something we couldn't prove," while literally correct, indicates a lack of comprehension of what my argument here has consistently been. With weapons so powerful that one use of one can cripple a nation for years to come, I believe that a strong likelihood is sufficient to justify the invasion of an evil dictatorship. My point is not that no one may possess these weapons, although it would be nice if no one did, but that the worst of the worst dictators may not.

Redheat wrote:
Quote:

Certainly had ties to terrorist? From what information source do you come by this? Russia warned us prior to 9.11 that we would were going to be attacked with planes being used as missles. Besides you aren't actually going by all that Russsia said but are instead picking the parts you want to use to try and excuse the actions of the administration.

Here is one example of a connection between Iraq and terrorists:

"Abu Musab al Zarqawi, formerly the director of an al Qaeda training base in Afghanistan, fled to Iraq after being injured as the Taliban fell. He received medical care and convalesced for two months in Baghdad. He then opened an Ansar al Islam terrorist training camp in northern Iraq and arranged the October 2002 assassination of U.S. diplomat Lawrence Foley in Amman, Jordan."

This and many other ties are documented at: http://www.americanoutlook.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=article_detail&id=3153

I am not trying to excuse the actions of the administration, I am affirmatively asserting that the administration acted properly to defend us from a likely danger, and that not to have done so would have been irresponsible.

Redheat wrote:
There is NO way in hell Saddam was going to attack the US. He was evil not freaking stupid!

You can speculate all you want to about what went on in Hussein's mind, but the fact is that he was a very evil man, who had shown a great interest in WMD, had acquired some, had, at least at some point in time, tried to acquire more, and had used them on people. It should be considered that it is probably possible for a clever person to smuggle a WMD into a country and set it off, without there being a lot of proof as to who was responsible. For instance, all of our efforts to find out who sent Anthrax through the mail have failed, so these things are not necessarily very traceable. Furthermore, the collosal amount of destruction even one of these weapons can wreak would be very tempting to our enemies.

Redheat wrote:
Isn't it odd that you would think our going into Iraq which caused us to be less safe is somehow beneficial to us. How does that work brandon?

Here's how it works. Bush's goal is to eliminate a terrible danger in the long run, not necessarily to make us safer at every single moment after we begin to act. When faced with a dangerous opponent intent on one's destruction, particularly one that is not very centrally organized, when one first begins to decisively oppose it, initially the enemy may become enraged and the danger may increase for awhile, but it is still necessary to prevent the oponent from destroying one someday. An example I used recently is a hypothetical country that has been controlled for decades by drug lords. If a new, honest government comes in and begins arresting and convicting the drug peddlers, the violence and danger may well increase in the short term, but opposing the criminals would still be the right thing to do to get free of them eventually. It is unrealistic to expect that when one first engages decisively in a world war, that one will be safer at every moment than if one had never entered the battle. The goal of such an engagement is to eventually defeat a dangerous enemy who must be defeated.

Redheat wrote:
Quote:

huh? that was a pretty abstract statement I have to give you that one Rolling Eyes

One would infer from your remark that abstract analysis of issues like containment is of no use. However, I believe that it is useful to analyze dangers and responses to them in the abstract, as well as in specific situations.

Redheat wrote:
Quote:

Prove to me that you are not a rapist, its the same kind of twisted logic. You want me to prove the negative.

Since you are asserting that Iraq produced no new WMD after the first Gulf War, then yes, I would hope you could back up your assertion.

Redheat wrote:
Quote:
I am not proposing anything at all in that statement. I am saying that any particularly bad dictator in possession of WMD is a threat that must be faced and protected against. You show some signs of being unable to understand extremely simple English sentences.

And you seem to be under the impression that terrorism is a simple proposition where all we have to do is go in with our guns blazing and show our testorone and all will be right with the world. Even when the opposite is being shown to be true.

This statement says nothing about a response to the danger, merely that any and every instance of a particularly bad dictator with WMD would be a serious threat that would have to be faced and protected against. If you're going to disagree with something, please disagree with the actual quotation.

Redheat wrote:
Quote:

You know if you aren't going to be honest then what's the point on contining this discussion. I won't even attempt to show you to be a liar because I think we both know you are.

You seem to enjoy making accusations such as your assertion that Bush and Cheney said this, but consistently refuse to provide evidence for them. The fact that you cannot debate in a civilized manner, without calling your opponent a liar, says quite a bit about your character, but nothing about mine.

Redheat wrote:
Quote:

Geez I don't know maybe he could actually cite dates, events and actions and then go onto outline how this supports his claims. No wonder Bush gets away with lying and flip flopping without notice of his flock, when you have to ask how to show something then that tells me that you dont' understand or have forgotten what actual fact consists of. Talk about illogical. Rolling Eyes

It is pretty obvious that if one person asserts that a Senator has not done much of significance, and a second person asserts that he has, it is very difficult for the first person to provide names, dates, and places, which prove that the Senator had a lusterless career, but should be pretty easy for the second person to cite a few examples quickly to refute the claim.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 04:27 pm
Red,
Here are some of john Kerry's "achievements" in the Senate,ok...
Supports federal DOMA, but not Massachusetts DOMA
Q: You say you oppose gay marriage. You also oppose the federal constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. Do you think other states should have to recognize a gay marriage performed in Massachusetts?
KERRY: I said very clearly that I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman. But notwithstanding that belief, there was no issue in front of the country when that was put before the US Senate.

Q: You also said that you believe the Defense of Marriage Act was fundamentally unconstitutional.

KERRY: I was incorrect in that statement. I think, in fact, that no state has to recognize something that is against their public policy. For 200 years, we have left marriage up to the states.

Q: So would you support the Massachusetts Defense of Marriage Act?

KERRY: No, because the Defense of Marriage Act is the law of the land today.

Source: Democratic 2004 primary debate at USC Feb 26, 2004

GEPHARDT [to Kerry]: [Maintaining any part of the Bush tax plan] is the wrong policy, and let me tell you why. This plan has failed. The president's economic plan has failed. And we should not keep half of a failure or a quarter of a failure. If it's failed, let's change the policy. Let's do something else. We'll go back to the Clinton tax code. I led the fight in 1993 to put those changes in place; it worked. And my plan will give more money to the average family than the Bush tax cuts.
KERRY: Going back to the Clinton tax cuts, doesn't create another job, it puts a burden on current predicament of middle-class Americans. They lose their current revenue. What's kept America's economy moving in the last two and a half years has been consumer spending. If all of a sudden, when we're trying to recover, we sucked a whole lot of money out of those consumers, we are not going to be able to keep the economy moving. It's the wrong policy.

Source: Debate at Pace University in Lower Manhattan Sep 25, 2003

Admits having smoked marijuana
At the "Rock the Vote" debate, the moderator inevitably asked,. "Which of you are ready to admit to having used marijuana in the past?"
"Yes," said John Kerry, leading off. "Yes," said John Edwards . "Yes," said Howard Dean. None of these three baby-boomer candidates said anything beyond their short, declarative affirmations. None followed with a hurried explanation that it was just a few times, that it was some kind of "youthful indiscretion," or that he didn't inhale. The implication of their answers seemed to be, "Yeah, so what?"

In fact, the defensive answers tended to come from those replying in the negative. "No," said Dennis Kucinich. "But I think it ought to be decriminalized."

"I grew up in the church," said Al Sharpton. "We didn't believe in that."

"I have a reputation for giving unpopular answers," said Joe Lieberman. "I never used marijuana. Sorry!"

In the next day's news coverage, the admissions of marijuana smoking were largely ignored.

Source: Steven Holmes, NY Times Nov 9, 2003

Voted NO on increasing penalties for drug offenses.
Vote to increase penalties on certain drug-related crimes. The amendment would specifically target the manufacturing or trafficking of amphetamines & methamphetamines and possession of powder cocaine, and set stronger penalties for dealing drugs
Bill S.625 ; vote number 1999-360 on Nov 10, 1999

Fact Check: Contaminated home uses city water, not bottled
FACTCHECK on Water Contamination: John Kerry left a misleading impression when he tried to personalize a water-pollution issue:
KERRY: There's a couple in Salem called Lisa and Randy Denuccio. They live next to a lake. They can't drink the water. Their kids can't make lemonade now. They don't take showers with the water. They have to buy bottled water.

FACTCHECK: But when an Associated Press reporter called the family after the debate, Lisa Denuccio said the family does in fact take showers: "We can't do without that." The AP did quote her as saying they now use water from the city rather than their well. Kerry's statement that they can't shower with "the water" might be literally correct- but might easily have led many listeners to think the Denuccio family is worse off than is the case. He should have come clean.

Source: FactCheck.org: 2004 Primary Presidential Debate in Durham NH Dec 9, 2003

Voted YES on killing a bill for trade sanctions if China sells weapons.
Vote to table [kill] an amendment that would require sanctions against China or other countries if they were found to be selling illicit weapons of mass destruction.
Bill HR.4444 ; vote number 2000-242 on Sep 13, 2000
(I guess this vote means its ok for China to sell WMD to whoever has the money to buy them)

And these quotes are interesting.Did you know that Kerry said that the Bush tax cuts were actually DEMOCRAT tax cuts that Bush stole?
Here are his quotes...

They're not Bush tax cuts, they're Democrat tax cuts
Q: To balance the budget, wouldn't you have to cut Social Security & Medicare?
DEAN: I'm a strong supporter of Medicare. The rest of our Social Security is not on the table. I'm a strong supporter of Social Security. What you need to do is get rid of every dime of the Bush tax cuts. Some say we should keep the middle-class tax cuts. What middle-class tax cuts? On the average, 60 percent of the people in this country got a $304 tax cut. One percent, which are rapidly writing $2,000 checks to George Bush, got a $26,300 tax cut.

KERRY: When Dean said, "What middle-class tax cut," let me tell him. The Burnett family earned $70,000. But under his plan, they are going to pay $2,178 more in taxes because they lose the child credit, they pay a penalty for being married again because he puts it back, and they lose the 10 percent bracket. Those aren't Bush cuts, those are the Democrat cuts that we worked hard to put in place to protect the middle class.

Source: Democratic Presidential 2004 Primary Debate in Detroit Oct 27, 2003

10% bracket in Bush tax cuts was Democrats' idea
The 10% bracket [in the Bush tax plan] wasn't Bush's idea. It was our idea. It was in keeping with the spirit of the Democratic party to try to help the average American get ahead. Increasingly, average Americans are getting stomped on; there's an unfairness in the workplace; corporate executives are walking away with millions and sticking the average American with the bill. We can cut the deficit in half, we can be fiscally responsible, but we don't have to do it on the backs of the middle class.
Source: Debate at Pace University in Lower Manhattan Sep 25, 2003

Bush tax cuts reach 32 million in middle class
Q [to Kerry]: Dean suggested he will roll back the increases in some middle-class tax benefits [in the Bush tax cuts]. You have suggested that anyone who walks away from the middle class is not a true Democrat.
KERRY: We Democrats fought hard to put those tax cuts in place. Those represent trying to reach the middle class of America. I think Governor Dean is absolutely wrong. And he's wrong on his facts. The fact is that 32 million American couples get about $1,000 out of the tax cut. The fact is that 16 million American families get $1,500 to $3,000 from it.

Voted NO on $350 billion in tax breaks over 11 years.
H.R. 2 Conference Report; Jobs and Growth Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2003. Vote to adopt the conference report on the bill that would make available $350 billion in tax breaks over 11 years. It would provide $20 billion in state aid that consists of $10 billion for Medicaid and $10 billion to be used at states' judgment. The agreement contains a new top tax rate of 15 percent on capital gains and dividends through 2007 (5 percent for lower-income taxpayers in 2007 and no tax in 2008). Income tax cuts enacted in 2001 and planned to take effect in 2006 would be accelerated. The child tax credit would be raised to $1,000 through 2004. The standard deduction for married couples would be double that for a single filer through 2004. Tax breaks for businesses would include expanding the deduction that small businesses could take on investments to $100,000 through 2005.
Bill HR.2 ; vote number 2003-196 on May 23, 2003

Voted NO on cutting taxes by $1.35 trillion over 11 years.
Vote to pass a bill that would reduce all income tax rates and make other tax cuts totaling $1.35 trillion over 11 years. The bill would increase the standard deduction for married couples subject to the 15% bracket to double that of singles by 2005
Bill HR 1836 ; vote number 2001-165 on May 23, 2001

Voted NO on eliminating the 'marriage penalty'.
Vote on a bill that would reduce taxes on married couples by increasing their standard deduction to twice that of single taxpayers and raise the income limits on both the 15 percent and 28 percent tax brackets for married couples to twice that of singles
Bill HR.4810 ; vote number 2000-215 on Jul 18, 2000

Voted NO on across-the-board spending cut.
The Nickles (R-OK) Amdendment would express the sense of the Senate that Congress should adopt an across-the-board cut in all discretionary funding, to prevent the plundering of the Social Security Trust Fund
Reference: Nickles Amdt #1889; Bill S. 1650 ; vote number 1999-313 on Oct 6, 1999

Voted NO on $792B tax cuts.
This vote was on a motion to waive the Congressional Budget Act against the Gramm (R-TX) amendment which would reduce taxes by $792 billion over 10 years by reducing all income tax rates by 10%, effectively eliminating the so-called "marriage penalty".
Reference: Motion to waive Congressional Budget Amendment in regards to the Gramm Amdt #1405; Bill S. 1429 ; vote number 1999-230 on Jul 29, 1999

Voted NO on FY99 tax cuts.
Senator Coverdell (R-GA) offered an amendment to the 1999 budget resolution to reduce revenues by $101.5 billion over the next 5 years, to provide middle-class tax reflief
Reference: Motion to waive CBA Re: Coverdell Amdt. # 2199; Bill S Con Res 86 ; vote number 1998-55 on Apr 1, 1998

And this link...
http://www.issues2000.org/International/John_Kerry_War_+_Peace.htm

Will take you to a site that has all of the Kerry quotes,supporting the war with Iraq,AND the context of those quotes.You will see that he both supported and opposed the war,he supported and opposed the 87 billion,and other issues.

So,if you look at the record and his own words,you will see that he flip-flopped so many times that he doesnt remember his own positions.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 04:35 pm
Kerry smoked marijuana? Oh, my god. I must rethink my decision to vote for him. Wow. I feel so...betrayed.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 04:50 pm
You should,you and others are making a big deal about the unfounded,unproven charge that Bush did drugs in his youth(again that has never been proven),so you should not want an admitted pothead in the WH.
Or,is Kerry's drug use ok with you?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 04:57 pm
I don't recall making any big fuss about Bush's drug use, mysteryman. Seems you may be lumping in with some amorphous group of Bush haters who will dig up any kind of dirt against him. Kind of like what you're trying to do to Kerry.

Au contraire. Bush's record as president gives me more than enough reason to vote against him this fall...
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 05:01 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
I don't recall making any big fuss about Bush's drug use, mysteryman. Seems you may be lumping in with some amorphous group of Bush haters who will dig up any kind of dirt against him. Kind of like what you're trying to do to Kerry.

Au contraire. Bush's record as president gives me more than enough reason to vote against him this fall...

How am I digging up dirt on Kerry?
I posted HIS OWN WORDS,and gave the source. That isnt "digging up dirt",that is actually being responsible.
Everything I just posted about Kerry,I gave the source for,so if telling the truth AND backing it up is "digging up dirt",then I guess I will just keep digging.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 05:06 pm
Go for it.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 05:15 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Go for it.

So,does this mean that as long as I provide the source,either from the congressional record or his OWN WORDS at the debates,that you will agree that they are correct and accurate statements about his positions and statements?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 05:20 pm
What I meant was, "Do your thing." I'll use my own resources to make judgements on the candidates, but thanks for your offer...
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 05:39 pm
If you truly had an open mind,you would welcome information from ALL sources,including those that are unbiased.
The website I have taken all of those quotes from has been around for every presidential election since Bush 1,and does nothing more thren post ALL of the candidates statements and positions about issues.
It adds no commentary or editorials,it just posts voting records and statements of each candidate.
0 Replies