WTF Is A DA Doing With A $800 Million Slush Fund?

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2015 06:52 am
Quote:
At a time when most city and state agencies are struggling with budget constraints, Mr. Vance has secured a windfall of $808 million from criminal penalties against three international banks accused of violating United States sanctions — HSBC, Standard Chartered and BNP Paribas.

It is a princely sum, nearly 10 times the office’s annual budget. Because by law it must be spent on criminal justice projects, it has transformed Mr. Vance into a kind of Santa Claus for the law-enforcement world, with a sack filled with new programs and equipment. His power to distribute such large sums with the stroke of a pen has, however, led some good-government advocates to say it prompts questions about transparency and oversight.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/08/nyregion/cyrus-vance-has-dollar-808-million-to-give-away.html?_r=0

Quote:
For his part, Mr. Vance says he sees the windfall as a once-in-a-lifetime chance to pay for new programs and technologies that could have a lasting impact on crime. “I call them transformative investments,” he said in an interview. “We have a window of opportunity here

No way one government official should be deciding were to invest all that money. This government keeps showing me new ways that the "justice" system is broken.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 560 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2015 07:12 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
No way one government official should be deciding were to invest all that money. This government keeps showing me new ways that the "justice" system is broken.
So the law(s) that such money must be spent on criminal justice projects is new?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2015 07:20 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
So the law(s) that such money must be spent on criminal justice projects is new?

Dont know, and that is not a problem says me, the DA having at $800 million slush fund is the problem.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2015 07:25 am
@hawkeye10,
He "got it" due to those laws/that law.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2015 07:31 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

He "got it" due to those laws/that law.
And if so the law is bad, but whether it is new and that this money can only be spent on certain things is fine. In the American system prosecutors have way too much power, and that never ends well.
0 Replies