in and of themselves?

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2015 03:39 am
It is not a strategy to simply undo the mistakes of the recent past. It is not a strategy to give a visionary speech. Recent years in which speeches have been treated as deliverables in and of themselves have demonstrated that real strategy requires not only clear long-term goals but day-to-day blocking and tackling, cultivating relationships, weighing priorities, anticipating historical shifts.

I can't understand the grammar and meaning of the following part:
“Recent years in which speeches have been treated as deliverables in and of themselves have demonstrated that ..."

View best answer, chosen by PennyChan
Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2015 04:00 am
@PennyChan,
First of all, it's really crappy writing. "In and of itself (themselves) . . ." means that something has merit or value without reference to other considerations, and almost always goes on to assert that there is some further merit or value in the thing referred to. The writing is really so bad as to make the claims entailed in the portion you have quoted nonsensical. For example, "Recent years . . . have demonstrated . . . ? The author, surely not intentionally, is saying that recent years demonstrate something, rather than speaking about what is demonstrated by either strategy or speech-making.

I wonder where people come up with things like this. It reads to me very much like a passage by someone who is attempting to appear wise, but who has made his or her idea opaque through the clumsy writing. Either that, or it is not written by a native speaker, and the author simply doesn't know how to express him- or herself coherently in English.
PennyChan

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2015 07:27 am
@Setanta,
Thanks. I'm reading the book National Insecurity by David Rothkopf. Some sentences in the book are very confusing.
0 Replies