Does "represents a sop" mean "presents a little bit of solace"?

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2015 12:20 am
1)Does "represents a sop" mean "presents a little bit of solace"?
2) Does " for grounding moral discussion" mean "for providing ground/foundation for moral discussion"?

Context:

Religion is too important to too many people for any dismissal or denigration of the comfort still sought by many folks from theology. I may, for example, privately suspect that papal insistence on divine infusion of the soul represents a sop to our fears, a device for maintaining a belief in human superiority within an evolutionary world offering no privileged position to any creature. But I also know that souls represent a subject outside the magisterium of science. My world cannot prove or disprove such a notion, and the concept of souls cannot threaten or impact my domain. Moreover, while I cannot personally accept the Catholic view of souls, I surely honor the metaphorical value of such a concept both for grounding moral discussion and for expressing what we most value about human potentiality: our decency, care, and all the ethical and intellectual struggles that the evolution of consciousness imposed upon us.

MOre:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-overlapping_magisteria#National_Academy_of_Sciences
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 550 • Replies: 7
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2015 03:50 am
It is important to keep in mind that sop almost always means something of no value--so a solace which is really of no value.
McTag

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2015 04:20 am
@Setanta,

Marvellous. See also, placebo.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2015 04:23 am
Thank you both.
Who would like to answer the second qu?
2) Does " for grounding moral discussion" mean "for providing ground/foundation for moral discussion"?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2015 04:35 am
Yeah, close enough.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2015 06:54 am

If I may advance a general opinion of my own, I think that this text quoted is tediously obscure, pretentious, self-important and useless crap.
oristarA

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2015 07:51 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

If I may advance a general opinion of my own, I think that this text quoted is tediously obscure, pretentious, self-important and useless crap.

Good point.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2015 02:41 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
It is important to keep in mind that sop almost always means something of no value

According to my dictionary it means: "a piece of bread dipped in gravy, soup, or sauce."

If you don't want your sops, fork em on over, eh?
0 Replies