Does "portfolio" here refer to "a large, thin, flat case for loose sheets of paper"?

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 08:01 pm

Context:

Lilly immunology portfolio to be featured in 12 presentations

More:
https://investor.lilly.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=940458
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 487 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
layman
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 08:18 pm
@oristarA,
For further context, I note that it says:

"We look forward to presenting these compelling data from our immunology portfolio, which exemplify Lilly's progress in advancing the treatment of these diseases."

One definition of "portfolio" is a "briefcase," but that is not the one intended here.

Another one I'm looking at is:

"a set of pieces of creative work collected by someone to display their skills, especially to a potential employer."

I think it's used more in this second sense. Lily wants to present their "creative" (actually research) work to potential buyers of their product.

But it could be used in the first sense also, just not literally. It wouldn't be a "case" it would more likely be voluminous files, etc. (sounds more like a full file cabinet, actually)

oristarA

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 08:29 pm
@layman,
Cool.
McTag

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2015 09:57 am
@oristarA,

Or the range of techniques which the company has developed (in the field of immunology).

A portfolio is a body of work, used in this sense.
0 Replies