"it remains to be" or "it is still"?

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 07:43 pm
Though inflation sometimes tortured this country, it remains to be the most robust economy in this region.

Well, I wonder whether "it remains to be" is native in English.
Should I use "it is still" instead?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 504 • Replies: 5
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
layman
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 07:50 pm
@oristarA,
Naw, it aint.
And, yeah, you should.
oristarA

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 07:58 pm
@layman,
Cool.
Thanks
layman

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 08:00 pm
@oristarA,
Anytime, homeboy.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 09:35 pm
@oristarA,
Oris, I could add this: The wording would be fine if you had chosen the word "continues" instead of "remains." There are other phrasings you could use to work in the word "remains," if you wanted. For example you could just leave out the "to be" and just say "remains" (or maybe "remains as")?

"still," "remains," and "continues" all suggest that it "used to be, and is now," i.e. they serve to convey both a former and current status. "Still" is fine.

Quote:
“Do not accustom yourself to use big words for little matters.” (Samuel Johnson, who compiled one of the first modern English dictionaries)
oristarA

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 09:42 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Oris, I could add this: The wording would be fine if you had chosen the word "continues" instead of "remains." There are other phrasings you could use to work in the word "remains," if you wanted. For example you could just leave out the "to be" and just say "remains" (or maybe "remains as")?

"still," "remains," and "continues" all suggest that it "used to be, and is now," i.e. they serve to convey both a former and current status. "Still" is fine.

Quote:
“Do not accustom yourself to use big words for little matters.” (Samuel Johnson, who compiled one of the first modern English dictionaries)

Excellent.
0 Replies