Does "to communicating this need" mean "to conveying information about this need"?

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 04:52 am

Context:

Edzard Ernst, Emeritus Professor at Peninsula Medical School, is recognised for his long commitment to applying scientific methodologies in research into complementary and alternative medicines and to communicating this need. Prof Ernst continued in his work despite personal attacks and attempts to undermine his research unit and end his employment. As a result, he has addressed a significant gap in the research base in this field and has brought insights into discussions with the public, policy makers, commentators, practitioners and other researchers. - See more at: http://www.senseaboutscience.org/pages/maddox-prize-2015.html#sthash.6BaIc6j9.dpuf
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 397 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
dalehileman

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 12:05 pm
@oristarA,
Wow, Ori, I think it's the need for application of technologies and so I'd say yeah....

Though let's hear from Infra or one of those other fellas with the technicality that might infer an exception

Your curiosity is absolutely laudable, as I'd declare after some 70 years in the field
0 Replies

layman
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 12:30 pm
@oristarA,
Yeah, Oris, I agree with you and Dale. If any elaboration is needed (and I don't really think there is), then I would just add this. The remainder of the passage makes this clear. It says:

Quote:
Prof Ernst continued in his work despite personal attacks and attempts to undermine his research unit and end his employment. As a result, he has addressed a significant gap in the research base in this field and has brought insights into discussions...

There was a need for the research EVEN THOUGH many tried to reject that need, and even tried to get him fired. Yet he persisted, and his research has proved to be valuable.

The implication is that there are still many remaining who don't see (or refuse to acknowledge) the relevance and/or importance of this research. Therefore it is important to communicate the NEED for such research, so that more of it can/will be done by more scientists.
oristarA

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 12:55 pm
@layman,
Cool.
Thank you both
dalehileman

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 01:52 pm
@oristarA,
Quite welcome Ori for what it's worth, given fellas/gals such as Infra, Tes, Man, Lay, et al
0 Replies