dyslexia

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 10:42 am
nattering nabobs of negativity!
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:31 am
In Response to Citizen Pressure, Officials Safeguard Voting Machines in
Ohio and New Jersey
In case you missed this great news, Ohio Secretary of State Ken Blackwell has blocked further deployment of paperless voting machines. When the Computer Ate My Vote campaign started the year in Ohio, a crucial battleground state, 31 counties were considering unsecure computer voting machines. Now, every one of them has decided against these problematic machines for this November's election. That's some victory, thanks to the efforts by members of TrueMajority, our partner groups, and especially the Citizens' Alliance for Save Elections in Ohio.

In New Jersey last week, we ran a radio ad during Thursday morning drive time urging listeners to call the Mercer County official who's in charge of local elections and ask him to offer the paper ballot option. Before the day was over, County Executive Brian Hughes faxed TrueMajority confirmation that he will seek permission from state Attorney General Peter C. Harvey to do just that. We shifted the ad to a "Thanks, Brian Hughes" message to honor his action. Next, we'll make sure Attorney General Harvey issues the "all clear," then get New Jersey's other counties to follow Mercer County's lead.

We are running ads in New Mexico and Washington as TrueMajority goes down the list of localities that are still bent on using unsecure machines.

All the efforts to educate citizens, register them to vote, and get them to the polls will be for naught if the votes aren't counted. Ensuring that votes actually get counted is our goal, and we're honored to have a hand in it.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 09:40 am
Here in New Mexico, the whole issue of voting machines, etc. is definitely on the front burner. Our governor, Bill Richardson, of whom most of you are aware, does not seem to see this as a high priority item however. Of course the GOP says it is because voting problems generally favor the Democrats. I think it's just because the Democrats have a strong majority in New Mexico and it hasn't been seen as a problem for them.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 10:55 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Of course the GOP says it is becausese the Democrats have a strong majority in New Mexico and it hasn't been seen as a problem for them.

I thought New Mexico was one of the states that was so close in the last presidential election, that it wasn't decided until several days later.

This should be an important issue for all Americans, regardless of party affiliation.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 11:06 am
I agree Mesquite. Gore won by about 500 votes in 2000 and, if New Mexico would have made a difference, a statewide recount might have been in order especially since verified fraudulent voting was fairly widespread. New Mexico is strongly registered Democrat but is maybe less strongly partisan than you find in some other states. That's why a good GOP candidate has a fair shot to be elected here. The Democrats retain a stranglehold on the state legislature though while the state itself is at or near the bottom on many measurable issues: healthcare, education, wages, etc.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 11:28 am
and then there is texas to compare with.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 12:03 pm
McGentrix wrote:
The U.S. Commission on Civil Rights began an investigation in January 2001 following the public outcry after the election. Although Democrats appointed 6 of the 8 commissioners and the hearings were often hostile toward Republicans, the Commission could not find evidence that a single person was intimidated, harassed, or prevented from voting by Florida law enforcement.

The Commission could not find evidence of systematic disenfranchisement of African-American voters, and concluded that state officials were not at fault for widespread voter disenfranchisement.

That is complete right-wing think tank horseshit.

That is precisely the opposite of what the US Commission on Civil Rights say in their report.

Here it is. Read it yourself.

In point of fact, tens of thousands Florida voters were wrongly disenfranchised as a result of an inaccurate list of supposed felons who were wrongly deemed ineligible to vote. In June 2001, the Commission reported that "Florida's reliance on a flawed voter exclusion list" -- provided by Choicepoint/DBA to the state of Florida and to the counties by Katherine Harris -- "had the result of denying African Americans the right to vote."

I find utterly hilarious the fact that the American Enterprise Institute -- an organ of the GOP for as long as I can remember -- can look at the same report as everyone else and come up with a completely different conclusion.

Take it and spread it liberally on your roses for best results.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 12:32 pm
PDiddie wrote:

In point of fact, tens of thousands Florida voters were wrongly disenfranchised as a result of an inaccurate list of supposed felons who were wrongly deemed ineligible to vote.

Not to quibble about numbers, but the report I looked at shows less than 10,000 names on the list of supposed felons, some of which appealed and had their names removed (granted, not many though). Not the "tens of thousands" that you seem to think.

Granted, if we grant you that every one of these were "illegally" disenfranchised it is still way too many. But let's at leaste get the numbers right.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 12:32 pm
Did you read the report you posted PDiddie? I just did. And McG is right if you take this one report as sole evidence here.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 12:37 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Did you read the report you posted PDiddie? I just did. And McG is right if you take this one report as sole evidence here.

What is wrong with your comprehension skills?

What about voter disenfranchisement is a puzzle to you two?

There is no mystery here.

Try again. It's OK with me if you don't agree with the Commission's findings, but at this point I have to believe there's got be something deeper going on here than just mere ignorance...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 12:46 pm
PDiddie wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

What is wrong with your comprehension skills?

What about voter disenfranchisement is a puzzle to you two?

There is no mystery here.

Try again. It's OK with me if you don't agree with the Commission's findings, but at this point I have to believe there's got be something deeper going on here than just mere ignorance...

Instead of continuing to demonstrate your ignorance, why not quote the parts of the report that refute the argument that has been made?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 01:00 pm
The voter disenfranchisement is because black voters are considered to have been at a disadvantage due to the machines they had to use to vote rather than due to any attempt by anybody to prevent them from voting Pdiddie. Which is the point McG made.

On the other hand, no such assertion was made in primarily white voter areas using the same type equipment.

Therefore, I think the assumption that black voters are disenfranchised by using punch card machines when (by presumption) white voters are not disenrfranchised by punch card machines is extremely racist, patronizing, and insulting to black voters.

That's my opinion of the report. It did not dispute what McG said.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 01:01 pm
McGentrix wrote:
why not quote the parts of the report that refute the argument that has been made?

No, sonny; you need to go read it and then post that with which you disagree (if indeed you still do after reading it).

That's how it works here, in this moderately intelligent discussion forum (although I must say that to continue discussing with you what the report concludes is lowering the bar on 'intelligent discussion').

You quoted an AEI opinion piece of the report...

I cited the report.

Run along now and do some reading.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 01:05 pm
PDiddie wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
why not quote the parts of the report that refute the argument that has been made?

No, sonny; you need to go read it and then post that with which you disagree (if indeed you still do after reading it).

That's how it works here, in this moderately intelligent discussion forum (although I must say that to continue discussing with you what the report concludes is lowering the bar on 'intelligent discussion').

You quoted an AEI opinion piece of the report...

I cited the report.

Run along now and do some reading.

So, now you are displaying your ignorance on how debate works?
Please. If you disagree with what the article I posted says, explain why. Your posting the report that the AEI article references does nothing but assert the validity of the AEI article.

I wonder if you actually read the report.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 01:14 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
The voter disenfranchisement is because black voters are considered to have been at a disadvantage due to the machines they had to use to vote rather than due to any attempt by anybody to prevent them from voting Pdiddie. Which is the point McG made.

On the other hand, no such assertion was made in primarily white voter areas using the same type equipment.

Therefore, I think the assumption that black voters are disenfranchised by using punch card machines when (by presumption) white voters are not disenrfranchised by punch card machines is extremely racist, patronizing, and insulting to black voters.

*sigh* You missed the part about intent, didn't you?

Quote:
The Commission heard from several experts regarding potential violations of the VRA during the Florida presidential election, including Professors Allan Lichtman and Darryl Paulson.

Professor Lichtman, applying the results test, said, "The key is whether a system, regardless of why it was adopted or why it was held in place, has the effect of diminishing minority voting opportunities."[36] Professor Lichtman explained:

Quote:
We do not have to demonstrate an intent to discriminate. We do not have to demonstrate that there was some kind of conspiracy against minorities or that anyone involved in the administration of elections today or yesterday had any intent whatever to discriminate against minorities, because indeed under the Voting Rights Act, practices can be illegal so long as they have the effect of diminishing minority opportunities to participate fully in the political process and elect candidates of their choice.

Professor Lichtman testified that a violation occurs if the following two criteria are satisfied:

--if there are "differences in voting procedures and voting technologies between white areas and minority areas"; and

--if voting procedures and voting technologies used in minority areas "give minorities less of an opportunity to have their votes counted."

Let's review:

Even if you don't think the GOP had a hand in this mess ( and I do not think this), there was a violation.

Now there is ample evidence that the precincts in Florida that are predominantly African-American, from county to county, all across the state, inherit the older, less reliable, chad-filled machines (which, naturally, are far more troublesome) when the wealthier whiter precincts replace theirs. I'll go get that evidence if you simply cannot understand or believe this. It's going to come from Greg Palast's investigations, so if you likewise cannot accept his evidence, you may as well say so and save me the trouble.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 01:22 pm
McGentrix wrote:
So, now you are displaying your ignorance on how debate works?

Rolling Eyes

poor, poor McG wrote:
Please. If you disagree with what the article I posted says, explain why.

I did. It's right up there. Look for the word "horseshit" in bold.

and then he wrote:
Your posting the report that the AEI article references does nothing but assert the validity of the AEI article.

No. No it does not. But based on my experience of the logic you're demonstrating, I suppose I can see why you think so. So, clarifying for you....

No. No it does not.

Lastly he wrote:
I wonder if you actually read the report.

Well, stop wondering. You and Foxy both.

Listen, podnah:

You are not demonstrating the ability to understand your own argument, much less mine.

Could you just stay out of the conversation until you can get a grip?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 01:24 pm
It only works PDiddie if there were no 'older machines' in any predominantly white counties or if there were no predominantly white precincts (using the older machines) in Dade County or the other disputed counties. The report would be much more credible if it had simply reported a higher voter error in the counties using the punch card machines and therefore high priority should be given to replacing these machines. The attempt to make this somehow an effort to keep black people from voting is, iny opinion, ludicrous and politically motivated.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 01:27 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
It only works PDiddie if there were no 'older machines' in any predominantly white counties or if there were no predominantly white precincts (using the older machines) in Dade County or the other disputed counties. The report would be much more credible if it had simply reported a higher voter error in the counties using the punch card machines and therefore high priority should be given to replacing these machines. The attempt to make this somehow an effort to keep black people from voting is, iny opinion, ludicrous and politically motivated.

Oh for God's sake...
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 01:40 pm
Personally, I think God might agree with me on this one.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 01:42 pm
I wouldn't worry about it too much Foxfyre. We're just not smart enough to figure out how "horseshit" is a great argument demonstrating ones point.

All too often you try to back up your statements by using quotes from reports and linking articles that support your arguemnet. PDiddie is in that elite class of debaters that don't need to do such things. His ad hominems and epithets are all the proof that he needs to back his statements up.

Someday, with proper education and tolerance, we too, can be on PDiddies level.
0 Replies