Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 12:13 pm
My country has been so good to me I felt I had to, once in a while, if for no other reason than they occasionally provide goodies chit as reward. Formerly at 84 they would have required my GP's assurance but that's no longer the case; I now would be accepted at 94 or supposedly even 104. But then alas at 83 I contracted a cancerous condition

More evidence that they're becoming more desperate for donors is the fact that I'd not need a letter of any sort to confirm if he was able able to cure my prostate cancer. I could walk in today, offering to give blood, tell 'em I was okay, and there's my carton of ice cream
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,567 • Replies: 28
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 12:19 pm
@dalehileman,
I used to be a very active platelet donor until awhile back when my own veins decided to wimp out on me (documented here... Blood Letting Blues).

So alternatively, I donate whole blood whenever I can. I'll have to make an appointment soon as the given period of time from my last donation allowing me to donate whole blood next has past.

saab

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 01:29 pm
In Sweden you can be a blooddonor between 17 and 60.
But at your age it is not a good idea without having a health checkup by a doctor.
People with cancer even when cured should not be a blood donor. It is even forbidden in certain countries.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 02:21 pm
@tsarstepan,
Tsar thanks for that link. Fortunately I'm blessed with huge vessels
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 02:23 pm
@saab,
Quote:
People with cancer even when cured should not be a blood donor
Saab if you're sure about this could you provide a link of some sort

I'd be devastated

Thanks
ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 07:01 pm
I've given the usual amount of blood once or twice or three, off and on, but in my laboratory days, I donated routinely, for small amounts. We needed blood for slides to do various tests, and I was there, a known control, something like once a week or ten days, years going by.
I also taught others to take blood, by taking mine, several times.

When I traveled on vacation to Mexico, I wore long sleeves. Call me Pokathona. That all was over years of time. My veins are still ok, pass the ammunition, but are well scarred.

My own horror was when I worked in a lab for near a year and had to go bleed agitated people from high end housing later to be found with mono, or the patients at Jewish Home for the Aged (one screamed at me when I was just learning, as I approached). I was never all that great at that, though my sticks were good; it was the dealing I was anxious about.

Many people in hospitals know more than I did or learned to. And some don't.

I couldn't give now, I assume; breast cancer in 2001.
saab

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 01:28 am
@dalehileman,
Yes I can if you can read either German or Swedish
But here is one link in German
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ausschlusskriterien_bei_der_Blutspende
saab

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 02:38 am
@saab,
Here is one for English speaking people wanting to donate in Sweden - just in case you want to

http://www.thelocal.se/blogs/bostonblatte/2010/12/12/donating-blood-in-sweden-a-bloody-difficult-task/
maybe you want to. Swedes are so thankful
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/blood-donors-in-sweden-get-a-text-message-whenever-someone-is-helped-with-their-blood-10310101.html
Are you between 18 and 60 and feel healthy you can become blood donor.
If you have had yellow fewer, syfilis, malaria or other cronical illnesses which requires regular medicin you cannot become a donor.
Person who might have been in contact with hiv or already have it cannot donate.
New restriction regarding travelling to Italy, turkey and Thailand.
Är du mellan 18 och 60 år och känner dig frisk kan du anmäla dig som blodgivare. Om du har haft gulsot, syfilis, malaria eller någon kronisk sjukdom som kräver regelbunden medicinering kan du tyvärr inte bli blodgivare. Personer som kan ha utsatt sig för hiv-smitta eller som redan är smittade måste avstå från blodgivning. Många allergiker kan lämna blod till normalanvändning.

OBS! Nya restriktioner gäller vid resor, tex Italien, Turkiet och Thailand.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 10:33 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
breast cancer in 2001
Oss sorry to hear about that. If prostate is any augury however, there's a chance of cure
You seem to have had an interesting life
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 10:43 am
@saab,
Saab thanks for that link

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=translate+Ausschlusskriterien+bei+der+Blutspende
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 10:52 am
@saab,
Thank you Saab for those two additional links. I Googled the hell ojuta 'em but with no luck. Even over here my correspondence with our local blood bank left moot the matter of a cancer fully under control if not entirely cured. Presumably if I walked in announcing "I'm okay," thet'd take my fluid

So I've contacted Life Stream, with a link to this thread, on pins & needles for a positive response, looking fwd to that carton of ice cream
saab

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 11:47 am
@dalehileman,
Cancer, also known as a malignant tumor or malignant neoplasm,
Neoplasien is cancer and you should not spend blood if you have or have it.
Exeption is skin and basaliome
Also there are many different medicins if you take them you should not spend blood, did you ever have a stroke or trombose.
Why insist on giving blood, which can be dangerous for you at your age as well as the person getting your blood.
Why not sign up for organ donation. Then you also do something good for your country.

die an bösartigen Neoplasien (Krebs) leiden oder litten (Ausnahmen: ausgeheilte Plattenepithelkarzinome der Haut und Basaliome)
dalehileman

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 01:23 pm
@saab,
Quote:
Why insist on giving blood
Because sometimes the reward is chit for ice cream

Quote:
Why not sign up for organ donation
It might be dangerous at me at my age

Quote:
Then you also do something good for your country.
Forgive an oldster but why is organ good but blood not
saab

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2015 01:23 am
@dalehileman,
Why is organ donation dangerous at your age.?
The donation is after you are dead. The older we get and sicker we get the less can be used for donation. The cornea can maybe be used for donation, but your kidneys not. I am not a doctor only a donor.
I was a blood donor as long as it was possible and I have signed up for organ donation. A paper I always have along in case of a deadly accident.
roger

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2015 02:17 am
@saab,
I'm sure he was thinking of something on the order of a kidney donation.
saab

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2015 03:24 am
@roger,
That I would never suggest to anyone.
It is big operation even thou one can live very well with one kidney. But being the one getting a kidney is usually connected with a lot of sideeffects.
roger

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2015 03:26 am
@saab,
I one time had to consider it, but with diabetes and being over 60 at the time derailed the idea. There are actually people who have done it for total strangers. Their halos are much shinier than mine - to the extent I even have one.
saab

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2015 03:43 am
@roger,
I am sure that everybody has a halo that now and then during a lifetime shines-
roger

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2015 04:15 am
@saab,
You just sent me to the mirror. I guess this just isn't my day.
saab

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2015 04:22 am
@roger,
That you cannot see it yourself is a very good sign. It means you are modest.
If you can see it and have to polish it all the time means you are a bragging type
0 Replies