Should "evolved into goes a step further" be "evolved into going a step further"?

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 10:07 am

Context:

Ever since Copernicus proposed his revolutionary idea that Earth’s place among the stars is nothing special, astronomers have regarded it as fundamental. The cosmological principle it has evolved into goes a step further, stating that nowhere in the universe is special. You’re allowed to have patches of individuality on the level of solar systems, galaxies and galaxy clusters, of course, but zoom out far enough and the universe should exhibit a drab homogeneity. No ...

More:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22830440-300-could-cosmic-megastructures-be-intruders-from-another-world/

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
dalehileman

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 10:25 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
The cosmological principle it has evolved into going a step further
would be okay if you hitched it onto the previous sentence: "...fundamental, the...."
oristarA

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 10:33 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
The cosmological principle it has evolved into going a step further
would be okay if you hitched it onto the previous sentence: "...fundamental, the...."

Good suggestion. But two sentences make it clearer to read, IMO.
You haven't answered my question, Dale.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 11:03 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
Should "evolved into goes a step further" be "evolved into going a step further"?

No. The cosmological principle [which] it has evolved into goes a step further, stating that nowhere in the universe is special.

dalehileman

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 11:17 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
Quote:
You haven't answered my question, Dale

[/quote]The cosmological principle it has evolved into going a step further, stating...[/quote]

No Ori it sh'u'n't 'cause 'snota c'plete sen'c'
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 11:30 am
Dale, what are you playing at?
dalehileman

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 02:01 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes I was responding in kind but I see now with so many esl I must translate

No Ori it shouldn't because not a complete sentence

So you see Tes my intent

Once more my apologies to all and sundry
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 07:17 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

Quote:

No. The cosmological principle [which] it has evolved into goes a step further, stating that nowhere in the universe is special.

Does "it" refer to "Copernicus' revolutionary idea"?
layman

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 07:38 pm
@oristarA,

Quote:
Does "it" refer to "Copernicus' revolutionary idea"?

Sho nuff.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 07:43 pm
@oristarA,
"The idea that Earth’s place among the stars is nothing special" came from Copernicus.

This idea was then extended to the universe as a whole, an idea which is now called the "cosmological principle, which says "that nowhere in the universe is special."

Put another way, people now generally believe that the earth is NOT the center of the universe. It is not "special" in that way.

With some qualifications, people also now generally believe that there is no such "special" place (or, at least, that if there is one, we could never detect it). Arguments can still be made that there is a "center" of all mass in the universe (aka "the great attractor") and that, as such, all matter is revolving around it and/or moving toward it.
layman

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 08:03 pm
@layman,
Not that it's important to your question, but for purposes of accuracy, my last post should have said "Shapley Supercluster" rather than "the great attractor" (which is itself moving toward the Shapley Supercluster).
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 08:24 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

"The idea that Earth’s place among the stars is nothing special" came from Copernicus.

This idea was then extended to the universe as a whole, an idea which is now called the "cosmological principle, which says "that nowhere in the universe is special."

Put another way, people now generally believe that the earth is NOT the center of the universe. It is not "special" in that way.

With some qualifications, people also now generally believe that there is no such "special" place (or, at least, that if there is one, we could never detect it). Arguments can still be made that there is a "center" of all mass in the universe (aka "the great attractor") and that, as such, all matter is revolving around it and/or moving toward it.

Excellent.
0 Replies