If Bush loses the elections.....

revel

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 10:14 am
After running around the house in a happy dance, I will then proceed to worry that after all my complaining about bush, kerry will be no better and then i would be forced to eat crow to my husband.

sides i agree, craven jixed it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 10:14 am
So Craven's comment about the Bulls has me thinking.

There was a study some time back about the power of soap operas. One thing they found was that seeing people's faces, in close up, especially during times of emotion, was an intimate thing and filled a need for intimacy -- even if there was no interaction. The point was that this is why housewives are so attached to soap operas (as a concept), that when they are stuck at home with kids, they have that intimacy.

I have long thought about that in terms of sports -- how the close-ups of players' faces, in baseball and basketball especially but also every sport these days (football players on the sidelines, in interviews, in advertisements, etc.), faces which are often conveying emotion, ratchets up the intensity several levels from just watching on the sidelines, IRL. I LOVE Brett Favre and Michael Jordan. I love 'em way more than is reasonable for someone who has never met them. (And I actually think Michael's kind of a dork, but anyway...)

SO -- point is -- and this part isn't exactly a new point, that Kennedy ushered in the television age and with that there was more personal attachment to the office of the president, but my more specific point is that EXTENSIVE news coverage -- seeing a politician's face, in close up, often, and often in times of emotion -- lends a sense of intimacy that has to do with the oft-remarked upon strength of feelings that started with Clinton. It's personal.

(I also started thinking about this because of Bear's post, and imagining oh great, and then there will be another wave of Kerry-hate like there was Clinton-hate, and then if the tables turn again, we'll be all embittered, and on it goes.)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 10:17 am
ebrown_p wrote:

To be honest, mooning didn't cross my mind.

Shocked

Mooning really should be the first thing that comes to mind you know...

You might want to get that checked.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 10:22 am
What exactly are you suggesting I get checked?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 10:25 am
The very grave condition of not immediately thinking of the great sport of mooning when contemplating jubilance.

I'm told it's quite serious.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 10:28 am
PDiddie wrote:
Let's take turns driving and mooning from San Diego to Houston.

First we must establish that our techniques are compatible. Syncronized mooning is as much art as a fine respected sport.

So, do you press or do you hang?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 10:30 am
sozobe wrote:
(I also started thinking about this because of Bear's post, and imagining oh great, and then there will be another wave of Kerry-hate like there was Clinton-hate, and then if the tables turn again, we'll be all embittered, and on it goes.)

Man, I agree. If Kerry pulls off a win, he won't have much of a mandate, and any gloating will cut into that. And this should worry Dems because Kerry is unlikely to have an infusion of political capital a few months into his presidency.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 10:34 am
You mean like Bush hate?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 10:38 am
Craven the grave condition of not immediately thinking of gloating as an expression of jubilance gives me cause for concern...please have that checked... :wink:
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 10:39 am
More like Clinton hate than Bush hate, IMO.

I doubt Kerry will take office after losing the popular vote, and I doubt that Kerry will do anything really drastic that inflames the right (oh he'll piss people off to be sure, but I'm talking things like Iraq to the left).

So the Kerry-hate would, IMO, be more like basic partisan hate, similar to some of the Bush hate but not all (as some of the Bush stuff is sourced in actions that transcend partisanship).
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 10:44 am
I hope not. I didn't vote for President Clinton, but in the entire eight years that he was in office, I chose to respect the office even if I didn't always agree with his policies.

I know others do it, but I can't bring myself to excoriate a sitting president. If John Kerry wins, I will give him the same respect and turn my energies to more positive endeavors.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 10:46 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Craven the grave condition of not immediately thinking of gloating as an expression of jubilance gives me cause for concern...please have that checked... :wink:

I'll be happy, but won't have much to gloat about. It's not like I wish for Republican defeat, I wish for Bush defeat and he happens to be a Republican. If it were, say, Powell versus Kerry I'd be wishing for a Kerry defeat even more than I wish for a Bush defeat now. I have an objection with specific Bush policies, and not with the Republican base.

Even if I did, I'd avoid gloating because I don't want a lame duck president with no mandate. Kerry doesn't have the skills to be a Clintonesque teflon prez.
0 Replies

ehBeth

[quote="Craven de Kere]
So, do you press or do you hang?[/quote]

Drape. (the lady's version of hang)
0 Replies

PDiddie

Craven de Kere wrote:
So, do you press or do you hang?

I thought this was clear from my post.

Either/both, depending on the situation.

Protrusion in Las Vegas; it requires more effort to construct a spectacle there, and besides, the weather in November is quite nice.

Compression in Houston; it very likely will be coolish and rainy, and I feel certain that HPD will not be in a jovial mood, especially over there on Bush's street...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 10:48 am
I got hassled by cops in Houston for pressing once, it was against a McDonalds glass wall from the outside.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 10:50 am
Is there an objective way to measure hate?

I know there where Clintion-haters and Bush I-haters and Reagan-haters.

But Bush seems to inspire an extraordinary amount of an unusually intense type of hatred. I, for one, hate Bush like I have never hated a US leader. I suspect that a significant number of Americans (more than 25%, maybe even more) share my uniquely strong feelings of hatred.

I believe this is true, but how would we measure this?

A celebration complete with gloating, derision and even mooning will be a wonderfully unique expression of hatred.

I have the feeling that Kerry is incapable of insiring the same level of raw emotion...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 11:02 am
Well may I gloat over the fact that you guys are mooning?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 11:13 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
I got hassled by cops in Houston for pressing once, it was against a McDonalds glass wall from the outside.

Outside facing in? See, the Doughnut Patrol takes insulting their choice of dining establishment seriously.

Next time, moon out (and if it's at Mickey D's, do so at one of the booths back near the banos). This way, you have a half-baked excuse: "Officer, my low-slung drawz just fell down as I exited the men's room and returned to my seat right here by the window..."
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 11:29 am
Pardon me if I appear misinformed, but if it's true that "the American people are scared and cowering" and are "afraid of the terrorist threat" as you say, then why has not everything just come to a screeching halt?

Looking all around me, the general public is going about their daily lives, traveling, gathering in public places, going to work each day. I think you mistake "scared and cowering" for "concern".

Are we more aware of our surroundings? Yes. Do the majority of Americans feel they're being "bullied" into living with fear? Doubtful.

You are entitled to your opinion, but please don't presume to speak for "the American people" in it's entirety.

100% of my friends and family agree that compromising a few 4th Amendment rights to feel safer on an airplane isn't the be-all or end-all of their existence. Seems to me that only those afraid of being searched, those with something to hide would scream foul in this post-9/11 world. IMO
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:47 pm
JustWonders wrote:
. 100% of my friends and family agree that compromising a few 4th Amendment rights to feel safer on an airplane isn't the be-all or end-all of their existence. Seems to me that only those afraid of being searched, those with something to hide would scream foul in this post-9/11 world. IMO

Congratulations!!!! You and 100% per cent of your friends and family are a shining example of the successful bush program to create just your kind of citizen......with a little help from 9/11.

There is a wide gap between being afraid of being searched because of something to hide and resenting being searched because you've done nothing. IMO.
0 Replies