Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 11:58 am
Hi all. Is it mandatory to pluralize abbreviations? For example:

I bought two DVD. /// I bought two DVDs.

Thank you.

View best answer, chosen by Doubtful
engineer

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 12:14 pm
@Doubtful,
From the NY Times stylebook

Quote:
Use apostrophes for plurals of abbreviations that have capital letters and periods: M.D.’s, C.P.A.’s. Also use apostrophes for plurals formed from single letters: He received A’s and B’s on his report card. Mind your p’s and q’s.

But do not use apostrophes for plurals of abbreviations without periods, or for plurals formed from figures: TVs, PCs, DVDs; 1990s, 747s, size 7s.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 12:27 pm
@Doubtful,
Quote:
Is it mandatory to pluralize abbreviations?

Personally, I am of the opinion that there are no matters of refined detail that are "mandatory" in language. So long as your intended meaning gets conveyed, you're doing fine with the language (the objections of pedantic linguistic "purists" notwithstanding).

As a matter of convention, some abbreviations (and/or acronyms) in English are customarily treated as referring to both singular and plural. Others are not. But again, it's merely a matter of custom, not necessity.

Dizzy Dean, the hall of fame baseball pitcher, after being criticized for using the (non-standard) word "ain't," once said something like this (during the depression era):

Quote:
I've never met anyone one who doesn't know what "ain't" means. I do know people who won't use that word, and a lot of them ain't eating.

Tes yeux noirs
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 12:36 pm
@Doubtful,
Quote:
Is it mandatory to pluralize abbreviations?

Yes.

Incorrect: I bought two DVD.
Correct: I bought two DVDs.

Many people ignore the apostrophe style as described above.

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 12:38 pm
@layman,
Quote:
I am of the opinion that there are no matters of refined detail that are "mandatory" in language.

Correct pluralisation is not "refined detail".
layman

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 12:43 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Whatever you say.

I still say:

Quote:
So long as your intended meaning gets conveyed, you're doing fine with the language (the objections of pedantic linguistic "purists" notwithstanding).
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 12:58 pm
Layman, you are missing the point. Native speakers and some fluent second-language speakers can speak in different registers ranging from formal to informal. In informal speech many rules are relaxed, but you have to be fluent first to know which ones. Early second-language learners should not be misled by silly advice like yours.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 01:08 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Quote:
Incorrect: I bought two DVD
T, my BH, who I am sure you'll agree is much smarter than I, agrees with you. However don't we usu include the " ' " ?

Note my skilful spacings

But why does a2k underline "skilful"

Edited to remark, it's not everyday....

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=which+is+correct+skilful+or+skillful
layman

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 01:10 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Quote:
Early second-language learners should not be misled by silly advice like yours.

I didn't give any "advice." I just answered his question (is it "mandatory) in accordance with my personal view on the matter (while acknowledging that others have different views).
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 01:12 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:

Because "skillful" (two l's) is the common spelling. Not to fret though, everybody knows what you mean.

PS: I didn't click on your link before posting that. Obviously, it would have been more accurate to preface my comment with the qualification "In the US..."

Your link notes that:

Quote:
For the adjective meaning with skill or having skill, skillful is the preferred spelling in American English, and skilful is preferred in all other main varieties of English. Skillful appears with relatively high frequency in Canadian publications, but the ratio is still 4:1 in favor of skilful. Aside from spelling, there is no difference between the two words

Maybe Tes can tell us which convention is the "right" one, eh?
dalehileman

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 01:27 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Because "skillful" (two l's) is the common spelling
Of course Lay, forgive the edit

Quote:
Maybe Tes can tell us which convention is the "right" one, eh?
Careful there, Lay, she doesn't like to be called that. I've asked if just "T" is okay but so far no response

T, if you're in here somewhere, forgive an old guy

In this connection, assuming you haven't already succumbed to the temptation, you must always spell out "Setana," lest you make a lifelong enemy bent on your belittlement or eventual destruction

...Not even "S"
layman

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 01:30 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
you must always spell out "Setana," lest you make a lifelong enemy bent on your belittlement or eventual destruction

Heh, there are a million ways to accomplish that with Sedentary. Everyone will accidentally stumble across one of those millions of ways, sooner or later.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 01:40 pm
@layman,
Quote:
...to accomplish that with Sedentary
Hey, Lay, you've made my day

To that other fella: --, if you're around, Pray forgive us kidders and piddlers, Nay, we mean no disrespect, we Play

...I Say
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 01:41 pm
@layman,
Quote:
"skillful" (two l's) is the common spelling.

For the adjective meaning with skill or having skill, skillful is the preferred spelling in American English, and skilful is preferred in all other main varieties of English. Skillful appears with relatively high frequency in Canadian publications, but the ratio is still 4:1 in favor of skilful.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 01:45 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Careful there, Lay, she doesn't like to be called that. I've asked if just "T" is okay but so far no response

Dale, you can call me what you like, as long as you remember I am a man, not a woman.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 01:47 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
However don't we usu include the " ' " ?

Using apostophes for pluralised abbreviations, numbers, etc, is a style preference, not a "rule", and it is not a preference that I share.

0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 01:48 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:

It's your browser's spellcheck dictionary doing that, and it must be set to US English. Skilful is a minority spelling in the US, and the majority spelling outside the US.

layman

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 01:55 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes, you might (then, again, you might not) want to read my post directly, rather than just Dale's excerpts from it. You're just repeating what I quoted from the link the OP himself gave.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 04:54 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Quote:
I am a man, not a woman
Oh sorry Tes, I misunderstood
0 Replies