IN RESPONSE TO THE ENGLISH/AMERICAN-ENGLISH/BRITISH THREAD

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 09:08 am
Did you see the Angel of the North on your way up the road, Steve? What did you think (if you did)? Photos or TV don't do it justice.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 11:44 am
Tryagain

well thank you for those kind words. When I have worked out what you are talking about, I will reply in my own inimitable way.

Grand D

No I didn't see it as we went up the A19 from Teesside, but I gather its most impressive.

I dont mind that sort of stuff at all, especially if its big.

I was complaining about the junk passed off as conceptual art in the Baltic exchange. And what really infuriates me is the artist (so called) obviously has an idea that he or (inevitably) she is trying to communicate, but cant be bothered to explain, its just left to the viewer to make what you can of it.

However it wasn't all junk, and it was FREE, so I suppose I shouldn't be too critical.

Outside however is a truly magnificent work of art, in the form of a bridge, which tilts through 45 degrees to let ships go by. I guess I take the nuts and bolts view of modern art.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 12:29 pm
Just spotted this thread. Wouldn't want to miss out on some 'Murican/Bri'ish comparision.

I don't know if I've shared this before but I've sometimes had to "translate" my name for inhabitants of the "land of the free".

"PeDeRRR" as they didn't understand "PeTah"

At least 5 times, now, in total. Laughing

KP
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 07:45 pm
Steve - I think it's called the Millenium Eye, because it looks like a blinking eye when it tilts to let ships undeneath. It's a nice piece of engineering. I think it looks better than the Millenium "Bouncing" Bridge in London, but I've not actually walked over either to get a better idea.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 11:17 pm
[I think, the Millenium Bridge really would be better, ift still bouncing - and it does look good!]
0 Replies