IN RESPONSE TO THE ENGLISH/AMERICAN-ENGLISH/BRITISH THREAD

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 03:07 pm
Well I do hope you feel a lot better for it try again. (That was not an invitation btw)
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 04:51 pm
Steve rites, "…(That was not an invitation btw)"

b.t.w.
Between The Worlds is a major interfaith esoteric conference sponsored by the Assembly of the Sacred Wheel, a Wiccan non-profit religious organization.This conference is an opportunity to experience deep learning and moving rituals from a wide range of esoteric paths and traditions.

Okdokey don't invite me to yorn shindig.

"The force of gravity is proportional to the inverse square of the distance between the objects. Therefore if the distance halves the gravitational attraction between the object and the cg of the earth will increase. The object would weigh more, but its specific gravity would be measured as the same."

I knowed it allreddy. Very Happy
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 04:55 pm
you bin follow me around this place ta

where is the said shindig a happenin?
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 05:22 pm
"you bin follow me around this place ta"

I gotta git lernin wheres I can. :wink:

"where is the said shindig a happenin?"
B.T.W November 4-7-2004
Wyndham Hotel. Wilmington. DE

Between The Worlds is not an annual event. The last Between The Worlds was held in May of 2000 and the next one after this one will be in December of 2007.

Avoid the rush - book now!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 05:31 pm
Quote:
I gotta git lernin wheres I can.

Noble sentiments indeed ta

But no use tagging onto me. I know nuffin. Just make it all up as I go along.

If you want to do some serious lernin search out the true adepts

Setanta is pretty good, most of the time - when I agree with him. And Walter Hinteler is a true master, once you understand the dialect.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 05:32 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 12:13 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
And Walter Hinteler is a true master, once you understand the dialect.

Ha. I'll remember that. Especially the undertone.

:wink:
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 04:43 am
Undertone is everything Walter, with those cheeky Limeys.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 04:53 am
Let's clear something up here . . . Steve, do you now or have you ever sucked on limes?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 05:41 am
Setanta wrote:
Let's clear something up here . . . Steve, do you know or have you ever sucked on limes?

I suppose, only when marinated in gin Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 06:03 am
Well, Walter, as long as he's not drinking Pink Ladies . . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 06:28 am
As long as Labour's colour is red and doesn't change it to pink, there's no danger, I think ...
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 05:10 am
Quite right walter. Only when infused with gin and tonic and ice and sometimes (whisper it...vermouth).

But not any more. Now I am on a health kick. Got 2 hours to do in the gym right now..so if you never hear from me again, you know why.

I understood btw that the term limey came from the lime-lights used in theatre in the early days of last century. (It was actually calcium sulphide I think).

It emitted a brilliant and very white light and made anyone who wasnt made up appear a deathly white colour.

But just what this had to do with Brits I dont know.

I am attempting to avoid the pink ladies these days Set. Very bad for the complexion you know.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 05:37 am
Setanta wrote:
Although amusing, the site had an air of correcting the speech patterns of Americans. It is an absurdity to expect that a nation with five times to population of Merry Old ought to conform to the linguistic predilections of the said nation . . .

We speak a markedly different language, even if the two are in general mutually comprehensible. Among Americans, it is considered bad form to correct the speech of another, so long as their meaning is comprehensible. If it is not, courtesy requires one to inquire politely until the meaning is comprehended. Most Americans are too polite to mention it, but the habit of Brits of correcting American speech makes them appear to be a set of ill-bred, ill-mannered rubes when they do so in this country.

Perhaps, Set, this could all be done away with permanently by getting George W to pass a law changing the official language of the USA from English to American. Then it doesn't matter how you or I spell cheque, as we are using different languages?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 06:01 am
I assure you, GD, that the Shrub's intellectual involvement in subtleties of language in our family a languages is nil. I rather doubt that he is even aware of differences such as cheque/check, centre/center, etc. Simply as a personal matter, if the Shrub made such a law, i'd find a way to violate it--even if it meant misspelling everything as do the brits . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 06:03 am
Steve, i had always read, and in no way assert as a fact, that Limey's were referred to in that manner by 'Mericans because the RN issued limes to their enlisted men as an anti-scorbutic. Hence, 'Merican sailors woud see them "sucking on limes."
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 06:18 am
Someone wrote, "What is an ex English teacher
one who now teaches Geography
one who is now French but teaches English sometimes
one who is ex in the sense of being shuffled off this mortal coil?
one who is ex is the sense of being exhumed?

Or all four above?"

I'mah not ritely nowin. Some say he is a knight in shining armour, sitin on a magnificent white horse helpin fallen maidens.

Than ther is others who tell how he is a monster 8 feet tall and madder than a polecat.
I aint about to say, caus I aint never seen him. But, I knowed that iffin youall whisper his name in the dark it do friten the young uns.

I'ma obliged for your introduction to Setanta who is well noed in thes parts for his poor recall as two the worddin on all state monuments.

As for Walter Hinteler I am sayin howcome no one and I mean noone has ever badmouthed him? I mean it aint natural for a person to be liked by everybody is it?

I waz gonna ask him, wheres I can git another autograph of Guy Gibson of the Dam Busters. I git one signed at the Potstan conference, and avha hankerin for another.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 06:41 am
Well I think that solves the problem of who's been drinking around here.

Set you're quite right. The navy did issue limes to combat scurvy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 11:00 am
Well, i spek' everbody knows i cain't re-call no monument 'scription cuz i'z al-uz got a skin-full whenever i bothers ta read 'em ay-tall.

Ol' Walter's pretty nigh loved by everbody, 'cept them ol' crypto-nazi Hitler lovers as shows up from time to time . . .
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 03:44 pm
My dear Setanta, how delightful it was to read your witty ripost.
May remind you that should you be confronted by perpetration in its various forms, perpetuating testimony should be your guide.
0 Replies