Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2015 07:04 pm
1)What does "ONE" mean here?
2) Does "far away" means "much, much smaller" in this context? Because it is used to compare to what was said previously: small.

Context:

Why we can’t work out where everything is in the universe
Mapping far-off galaxies is essential to understanding dark energy's influence on cosmic evolution – but the more we look, the harder it gets

Why we can't work out where everything is in the universe
ONE last time,” says Father Ted, patiently holding up a tiny model cow to a clearly baffled Father Dougal. “These are small. But the ones out there are far away.”

Astronomers don’t have to be fans of the classic UK sitcom Father Ted to recognise they have a similar problem with perspective – one that is becoming ever more acute as we look further and deeper into the cosmos. Over the coming decade, a new generation of telescopes will be taking petabytes of data to map out the night sky in unprecedented detail. This comprehensive three-dimensional picture of what’s where will help us better understand the forces that have shaped the universe.

MOre:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22830432-800-why-we-cant-work-out-where-everything-is-in-the-universe/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 499 • Replies: 2
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
layman
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2015 10:27 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
1)What does "ONE" mean here?
2) Does "far away" means "much, much smaller" in this context? Because it is used to compare to what was said previously: small.

“ONE last time,” says Father Ted, patiently holding up a tiny model cow to a clearly baffled Father Dougal. “These are small. But the ones out there are far away.”

There is no context for the quote, but I take it as saying something like "These (in my hand) are (really are) small, but the ones out there (perhaps a long way out in the field) are really big, but they only look small because they are far away.

The tenor of the article is that things a long way off may be quite large, but look at small to us, if we can see them at all, because they are so distant.

"One last time" is often used when someone has said or explained something before, but is nonetheless repeating it for the "last time."

One last time, then I aint gunna do it no mo.
oristarA

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2015 11:11 pm
@layman,
Thanks.
With video, it will not be mistaken.
0 Replies