Should "are" be "is" here?

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2015 09:55 am
"A medically important group are the parasitic worms"?
Is it proper grammar? A reverse construct?

Context:

Parasites cause devastating diseases
We live in a biologically complex world, which is populated not only by humans and other large animals,but also by a plethora of other organisms, some of which are harmful or deadly to us.

A variety of parasites cause disease. A medically important group are the parasitic worms (helminths), which are estimated to afflict one third of the world’s population and are particularly prevalent in subSaharan
Africa, South Asia and Central and South America. River Blindness and Lymphatic Filariasis are two diseases caused by parasitic worms. As the name implies, River Blindness (Onchocerciasis)
ultimately leads to blindness, because of chronic inflammation in the cornea. Lymphatic Filariasis,
afflicting more than 100 million people, causes chronic swelling and leads to life-long stigmatizing and
disabling clinical symptoms, including Elephantiasis (Lymphedema) and Scrotal Hydrocele (Figure 1).
Malaria has been with humankind for as long as we know. It is a mosquito-borne disease caused by
single-cell parasites, which invade red blood cells, causing fever, and in severe cases brain damage and
death. More than 3.4 billion of the world’s most vulnerable citizens are at risk of contracting Malaria,
and each year it claims more than 450 000 lives, predominantly among children (Figure 1).

More:
http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/medicine/laureates/2015/press.pdf
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 635 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
neologist

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2015 10:18 am
@oristarA,
Worms, plural.
Group, singular.
It gets confusing when both words are in the same sentence.
I would use 'is' in this case.

Parasitic worms are important. The group is important.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2015 11:49 am
I would argue that the word 'group' as well as many collective nouns, e.g. herd, flock, team, etc can be singular or plural depending on what is being considered - a collective action or property, or an individual one. When the group is being considered as a whole, it can be treated as a single entity: “the group was ready to go on stage.” But when the individuality of its members is being emphasized, “group” is plural: “the group were in disagreement about where to go for dinner.”

What is being considered? "A medically important group ... the parasitic worms (helminths)". We are not talking about a simple "group" of worms like a bunch of worms in a bucket, but a number of groups of different species. There is no real consensus on the taxonomy (or groupings) of the helminths, particularly with the nematodes. The term "helminth" contains a number of phyla, many of which are completely unrelated. However, for practical considerations the term is still used nowadays to describe four groups with superficial similarities, the phyla Annelida, Platyhelminths, Nematoda and Acanthocephala.

For these reasons, I understand why the writer of the piece quoted used 'are'.

Thus

dalehileman

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2015 01:42 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Thanks T, I woulda used "are" too
izzythepush

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2015 01:47 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

I woulda used "are" too

D2
0 Replies