Does " to rob the experiment of verisimilitude" mean...?

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2015 10:52 pm
Does " to rob the experiment of verisimilitude" mean "to greatly weaken the validity of the experiment of high simulation"?

Context:

The results of the Spence study were susceptible to some obvious limitations, however-perhaps most glaring was the fact tha the subjects were told precisely when to lie by being given a visual cue. Needless to say, this did much to rob the experiment of verisimilitude. The natural ecology of deception is one in which a potential liar must notice when questions draw near to factual terrain that he is committed to keeping hidden, and he must lie as the situation warrants, while respecting the criteria for logical coherence and consistency that he and his interlocutor share. (It is worth noting that unless one respects the norms of reasoning and belief formation, it is impossible to lie successfully. This is not an accident.) To be asked to lie automatically in response to a visual cue simply does not simulate ordinary acts of deception. Spence et al. did much toremedy this problem in a subsequent study, where subjects could lie at their own discretion and on subjects related to their personal histories (Spence, Kaylor-Hughes,
Farrow, & Wilkinson, 2008).

-Sam Harris
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 411 • Replies: 7
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
oristarA

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 07:21 pm
@oristarA,
Looks I have to mark it again?
0 Replies

layman
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 08:29 pm
@oristarA,
I think the answer to your question is "yes," that's what it means. The experimental conditions do not realistically reflect the real-world conditions which they are presumably studying and/or testing.

Oris, one thing your frequent and never-ending questions demonstrate is that you read extensively on a wide range of topics. You seem to have a naturally inquisitive nature which is also reflected in your numerous questions. Your questions often serve to expose deficiencies in the language used by the authors you quote.
oristarA

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 09:48 pm
@layman,
Cool.
Thanks for the remark.
layman

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 10:17 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
Thanks for the remark.

You're quite welcome. I wish more here had your determination to understand, rather than just repeat and recite, what they read. Often, when pressed, people reveal that they don't really understand what they are saying because they haven't taken the time to analytically scrutinize the impressions they come away with after with after hearing/seeing/reading something. I am not excluding myself from this criticism.
McTag

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2015 03:23 am
@layman,

Dazz tru dat.
oristarA

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2015 09:41 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Dazz tru dat.

Spoonerism? Layman, can you decipher it?
layman

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2015 04:57 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
Layman, can you decipher it?

Of course. He's saying it aint no damn lie, Bro.

Literally: "That's true, that." Usually abbreviated to "True dat" (That's true).
0 Replies