Complicated Long Distance Relationship (Male 18)

cpearl

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 07:08 am
Hi there, I recently started talking to a girl about 3-4 weeks ago and when we started talking it was so good, we were flirting and getting along so well. She told me some really personal things so I thought maybe there could be something here, with each day I began to like her more and more as we would message each other all day. Then the beginning of last week we started to talk on the phone and snapchat each other, we would talk on the phone for hours on in the night and she wouldn't get bored and she would keep the conversation going which really surprised me as most girls don't really do this. Later on last week I asked her if we could meet and she said yes and of course I was over the moon as I really liked this girl as she had so many things about her which made me like her even more. So we eventually did meet each other and she was everything I expected she was beautiful and easy going to talk to and we got a long so well, then the next day we are talking and she said she needs time and space so in my mind I think I have done something wrong or she doesn't like me because she didn't expect me to be the way I was when we meet I don't know. I said fine for her to have space and time and I asked her was I the reason she needed space and time and she said no, this relieved me as I really do like this girl and want this to go somewhere. I found it so hard not talking to her and message her as before we would talk all day to each other. So we slowed down the messaging quite a lot, I gave her a bit of space to think and do whatever she needed to do, but I couldn't stop myself and ask why she needed space and time, so I asked her and she said that she still had feelings for ex and that she also like me as well. This was so gutting to hear as I really do like this girl and that I have never had a girlfriend before as my expectations of a girl are so high that I want someone perfect, I thought that I had found the girl that I had been waiting for all my life. So once she told she said she still had feelings for ex and also me I said to her I can’t be seconds and wait for you, I could tell that she was really upset and confused so I said to her that I would give her time to think about what she wants to do. I have confessed to her numerous times about how much I like her and care about her and that I will always be there for her, not to recently I told her that I was so confused on what's happening between us, I said that I need to know where I stand with you as it was killing me and making me so depressed that we weren't talking as much and talking the way we was before all this happened. Once I said this to her she said she doesn't know where I stand with you, she said that she had to sort out some personal and mental problems first before all this and of course I understand that she has to deal with her problems first and sort herself out before we go any further. She has always said to me she is never happy and always has problems, as her parents are split up and she has go to her mums and dads every week for a number of days at each of their houses and she said that they argue quite a lot and that she argues with them quite a lot, she also said that she gets quite a lot of stick from school from other girls about her and what she has supposedly done. And obviously this just makes me feel like **** and get upset as I can’t really do anything to help her and be there for here as we live quite far away, I just don't know what to do honestly I haven't been the same person since we stopped talking properly I have been so depressed and bored at night as I have nothing to do because I have nothing forward to look to when I get back from college. I just don't know what to do as I really like this girl and I want a relationship out of this, but it’s just like how long can I wait for her to say how she feels, even if she does like me even still now. This is why I need some sort of advice because I don't know how to deal with this situation as my parents are saying that she isn't worth it as she lives so far away and that she should make an effort and what not, then my friends are telling me that I should stop talking to her. I would just like to know what your opinion is of this because I want this go somewhere I don't care that she lives far away in my opinion as I really like her, it would be great if you could reply back and give some feedback.

Ragman

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 07:56 am
@cpearl,
If your friends and family are offering you some good solid advice, why would hearing the same advice from strangers help you make up your mind? Listen to those who are close to you.

Both of you, at the time, had too much time on your hands. You both needed to work on the deficit in your lives that allowed all of this texting and messaging and talking for hours.

Give up this obsession. She was in a very hurtful circumstances before you met and while you two were getting to know one another but despite that you hadn't really gotten into a real relationship. But it was not based on a firm foundation.

She now needs to heal and you can't help her at all except to leave her alone and get on with your life.

Stop being so needy. Get your life in order and let her get hers together. This was a crush and sorry to tell you this but now it's bordering on obsession - not a healthy direction for anyone.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 08:04 am
@cpearl,
cpearl wrote:
I I have been so depressed and bored at night as I have nothing to do because I have nothing forward to look to when I get back from college.

regardless of anything else, you need to arrange more of a life for yourself

join a club, play a sport, get a part-time job

you've got too much time on your hands to obsess about things

this thing with the young woman may turn out to be nothing in the long run, it could be a friendship, it could be more but it doesn't matter when your own life needs sorting out
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 08:53 am
@cpearl,
Quote:
I recently started talking to a girl about 3-4 weeks ago
Only 3-4 weeks into talking to her (and if I am reading this right, only 1 meeting) and you are so invested in her that you know she is the girl for you? Heck, I've been married for 33 years and I'm still trying to figure out if my wife is the one for me.

Maybe she sensed that you were moving way too fast and she needed time. Maybe, as you were wondering, after meeting you she decided that you just didn't appeal to her and she is trying to back away without hurting your feelings.

Quote:
I told her that I was so confused on what's happening between us, I said that I need to know where I stand with you as it was killing me and making me so depressed that we weren't talking as much and talking the way we was before all this happened.
After 3 weeks of talking and 1 meeting you want to know where you stand with her? No wonder she backed off quickly. And really, you get depressed about not talking to a girl you'd only been speaking to for 3 weeks? I think you need to learn how to handle your feelings a bit better. (Not trying to be a jerk here, just trying to help with an honest opinion.) You need to have some self-worth here so that you can better deal with rejection. Dang, I could tell you some stories about girls I've been attracted to and believed we had something that COULD be long term, only to be rejected. And I certainly did not start thinking long term or become overly invested emotionally after 3-4 weeks of talking. So seriously, you need to step back and not jump all in emotionally until you actually start seeing someone on a regular basis and establish a friendship that is based on more that 1 meeting.

As someone else previously stated, you may also want to at least listen and think about what your friends and family are telling you. They know you best. And hopefully have your best interests at heart. (That's not to say you should always follow their advice, but you should listen and hear and consider what they are telling you.) I would certainly give their advice more weight than any advice you get here on A2K, and that includes mine.

Good luck to you.
0 Replies