Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 12:10 pm
A lot of Americans seem to think there is "white privilege". I am a white guy, so I would like to know where I can cash in my "white privilege". I have been alive about thirty years and have yet to get extra credit on my homework for being white, or a get out of ticket card for being white, or a white guy performance bonus. I have worked under people who are not white and who have higher positions than me, and I have a Black president. What am I missing here?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 4,598 • Replies: 39

maxdancona

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 12:14 pm
@tony5732,
Are you never stopped and frisked by a police officer while walking down the street?
Did you go to a public school that offered AP courses?
Did you get a mortgage for a house easily as appropriate based on your yearly income?

If you answer yes to these questions, I suspect you are enjoying your White privilege.

McGentrix

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 12:25 pm
@tony5732,
You are missing a WHOLE lot. White privilege is all around you and so prevalent you don't even see it. I bet you can walk into a store and not be followed by security. Bet you aren't "randomly" stopped for driving while white. There are a ton of things white privilege gives you every day that you just take advantage of. You are just not paying enough attention.
panzade

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 12:41 pm
@McGentrix,
Good post McG
Nothin' to add
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 12:53 pm
@tony5732,
You cash that privilege every day and you even have to file for it. You say you haven't gotten out of a ticket for being white. I'd bet that you didn't get stopped a dozen times because of your skin color. Of course it depends on where you live, but I personally have been pulled and let go half a dozen times. How do you know that you didn't receive preference on a performance bonus? I'm sure you believe you got it because you are outstanding. That is how white privilege works. You think you earned it while every one around you is scratching their heads.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 01:30 pm
Is it privilege or is it earned? Seems to me whites have been responsible for shaping America in the majority of what should be important things.

Maybe people should pay attention to how you get ahead(education, hard work, and basic ethics)a concept many people just can't grasp.

And it is much easier to exploit manufactured guilt than it is to make any contribution to unity.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 03:53 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
You think you earned it while every one around you is scratching their heads.

Nasty shot. This is only true of fat old men like me.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 05:59 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Is it privilege or is it earned? Seems to me whites have been responsible for shaping America in the majority of what should be important things.

They may have been responsible, but where they entitled to it?

Seems to me America would be a better place if all groups, including whites, were responsible for shaping the land they live in.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 06:42 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
but where they entitled to it?

Interesting choice of words. Entitlements.

Quote:
Seems to me America would be a better place if all groups, including whites, were responsible for shaping the land they live in.

Seems to me not using the word "white" in that sentence would make things better. Racism won't go away if you people don't let it.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 07:04 pm
@tony5732,
Quote:
or a get out of ticket card for being white

OK, you got a ticket. Did they pull your forcefully from the vehicle for no apparent reason? Call for dogs to sniff for drugs, even though you didn't smell of weed or show any impairment? Cuff you and hold you at gunpoint "for their own safety" even though you showed no signs of being violent? Or how about just outright shooting you because you moved your hand and scared them?

I enjoy the **** out of my white privelege, and I won't deny it. But I don't extend it to others. In my perfect world, this would be a meritocracy. To hell with race and gender divisions.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 07:28 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
OK, you got a ticket. Did they pull your forcefully from the vehicle for no apparent reason? Call for dogs to sniff for drugs, even though you didn't smell of weed or show any impairment? Cuff you and hold you at gunpoint "for their own safety" even though you showed no signs of being violent? Or how about just outright shooting you because you moved your hand and scared them?

You are reading to many of Boobs posts. All these reports are exaggerated to keep the black base Democratic and angry.
FBM

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 08:29 pm
@coldjoint,
Horse ****.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 08:54 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
Horse ****.

That is what you like, you are drawn to like a fly. Do you think a fly knows it is eating ****? You don't either. And you prolong division and promote more racism.
0 Replies

tony5732

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 11:17 pm
@maxdancona,
So these are things that happen to all non white people?
0 Replies

tony5732

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 12:03 am
Ok, racial profiling, I get it. However, non white people who are born into middle class or higher don't seem to have these problems as much, and white people who live in lower class DO have the same problems and complaints. It seems to have more to do with what car a person drives or how nice their clothes are. I think it's because cops look at who would be desperate enough to steal/ thug for money and who already has it. I understand that a lot of whites have it easier because they have a higher chance of being born into money. On the flip side, a lot of blacks have it harder because they have a lower chance of being born into money. This is not the case all the time in either situation though, so is that really a race privilege or a class privilege?
FBM

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 04:34 am
White privilege example. Aside from his privileged cracker attitude, that is. This guy didn't get shot, didn't even get the snot beat out of him, despite him physically assaulting the manager several times:

McGentrix

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 06:08 am
@tony5732,
Chris Rock still gets pulled over by cops because he was driving while black. Chris freaking Rock. Everyone knows and loves him. Yet, he is still a black man in America.

Found this and it may help you.

20 Examples That Prove White Privilege Protects White People From the Police
engineer

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 06:17 am
@tony5732,
James Blake, the Harvard educated tennis star was tackled to the ground, cuffed and held for fifteen minutes on the ground outside his fancy NY hotel. Guess all his fancy manners don't help when no one bothers to speak with you.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 09:29 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
20 Examples That Prove White Privilege Protects White People From the Police

Written by a black woman who knows all about social justice and white people. Tell the other flies to move over, you are hungry too.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 09:50 am
@McGentrix,
Who in the hell is Chris Rock? Yes I know I am on a computer and can check him out but I suspect i wouldent be interested.
0 Replies