Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 12:27 pm
I want to improve my writing skill. I live in such a area where experts in English language are not available. I want to write something daily in this forum/website to have corrected. If I do this, does this kind of activity go against the rules of this site? If I write something to have corrected, will I get help from the member of this site? Member of this site helped me a lot before. I think, now they will again help me, or they will show other useful websites where I can write something to have corrected for free.

Thanks to everybody. May Allah help the every helpful member of this site.

maxdancona

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 12:58 pm
@Nousher Ahmed,
It is completely appropriate for you to post things here to be corrected. Just understand that this is a public site and people are under no obligation to help you. There are a couple of posters (for example Oristara) who are English learners who post here and get a lot of help with the language.

So post away...

One note, the US is a secular society. Most of us consider religion to be a private thing and a few of us are annoyed by outward displays of religion. Of course, you have every right to post whatever you want... but you might find a more favorable response if you keep your posts secular.
Miller

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 01:07 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

One note, the US is a secular society. .. a few of us are annoyed by outward displays of religion... but you might find a more favorable response if you keep your posts secular.

Quote:
One note, the US is a secular society

But, recall that 70% of the US population is Christian ( according to the US Census). Doesn't sound like a "secular society to me"...But then I'm not a wasp as is MAXDANCONA.

Quote:
a few of us are annoyed by outward displays of religion...

Yes, and thank the good Lord, these non-believers comprise only a minority of the US population.

Quote:
keep your posts secular

You don't have to keep your posts secular. If you believe in God, so be it and the better for you, I say.

Shalom
Very Happy
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 02:24 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
the US is a secular society

Although this site is hosted in the US, and does appear to have a majority of US users, it is not exclusively American, and there are a goodly number of contributors from outside the USA. Users often get less-than-helpful answers from people unaware that there are multiple varieties of English. For example, a usage that is mainly US or British English may be labelled "wrong" by a member of the other English community, when very often the truth is that the usage is common in both, but a majority usage in one, and a minority usage in the other.
Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 02:30 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
I think you've coloured this site off-centre.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 02:34 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I think you've coloured this site off-centre.

I'd better go and have a fag.
Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 02:36 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
I feel sorry for the Canajuns . . . they have the worst of both worlds, they spell like the English, but speak like Americans, except for the word schedule.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 03:15 am
In Soviet Russia, poutine drinks you!
0 Replies