Resolved

briarwizard

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 07:36 am
The first thing I want to say is this woman is VERY lucky she has such a good friend and a good husband.

Unfortunately I've had 1st hand experience with two alcoholics in my family and niether one ever sought help after family members urged them to. One ended up almost dying twice from pancritius(sp?). Immediate medical intervention in the hospital saved his life. I thought after the first brush with death he'd get help. Then I was amazed that after his next brush with death he DIDN'T get help, (or didn't take advantage of the help that was given).

A few years later he ended up in prison after slitting his wrists.

That finally did it. As far as I know he's still clean. But by this time he'd lost his business. He's going to AA regularly.

The other alcoholic in my family "maintained" his alcoholism throught his life making himself and his family miserable. Now he's in a rest home and suffering from many health problems. He threw his life away in a bottle.

The point I'm trying to make is that alcoholics have to find their own "rock bottom" before they crawl out. Some NEVER hit that rock bottom their whole lives.

You're doing the right thing by helping her daughter and husband. And if your friend ever needs help, you're there for her.

Again, she may not realize it now, but she's very lucky she has you for a friend.
0 Replies