how do i get past partners emotional affair

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2015 04:01 pm
2 years ago i found out my bf had been textn a coworker ALOT. They had also stayed after work to talk and he admitted hed been to her house to help her with her studies. The texts did not insinuate anything sexual except 1 where she said 'i want to kiss you' to which he said 'im smiling so much-my face hurts'. He had said stuff like 'ive never felt this way'. I was crushed. We had been together 10years. He since has cut off contact, changed jobs after a year of me questioning everything and allows me access to phone etc. He doesnt even turn phone on at weekends. I just still at times think back and wonder if more happened. If those visits were sexual or if he lied when he went to sports clubs etc i couldnt bear it. He denys anything like that and as i said i didnt SEE anything of that nature but it plays on my mind, i remember him sayn he met her after shed been to the gym once and now out of nowhere it came to me that it must have been another time other than after work?? He says im lettn it rule me and nothing happened. How do i let it go n stop dwelling
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 903 • Replies: 8

ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2015 04:34 pm
@justwantanswers,
Arrange to see a professional counsellor.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2015 07:29 pm
@justwantanswers,
I agree with EhBeth. I went through a similar situation and overthinking it won't get you anything aside from intensified trust issues and strain on the relationship. No internet advise can help you fell better. Some people will say leave, some will say try to make it work. A counselor is trained to deal with trust and communication issues. Don't spend another year wondering and then wishing you'd done something sooner. Good luck!
justwantanswers

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 12:04 am
@Crazielady420,
What happened with you? Did everything work out? Would councilling alone be ok?
Crazielady420

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 07:06 am
@justwantanswers,
Please remember that every story is different. I was married and there were several emotional affairs. I tried couples counseling twice and in the end I filed for divorce. For me it was the right thing to do as he'd never change but he has a lot of issues on his own.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 07:09 am
@justwantanswers,
The counselling is to help you deal with your reaction to something that happened two years ago. It is not meant to be a relationship saver. It could help you in the relationship, but I suggested it to help you deal with your ongoing worrying.
justwantanswers

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 08:46 am
@ehBeth,
Ok thanks i appreciate that, ive never been good at 'forgetting' anything although i have never had to deal with anything like this.
justwantanswers

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 08:47 am
@justwantanswers,
Am i mad for even trying/staying?
jespah

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 10:10 am
@justwantanswers,
Of course not. You do what's best for you. I agree with everyone who's suggested counseling. Get this out with an impartial professional.
0 Replies