Angst and confusion with friend's X

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2015 10:06 am
I think I’m in love with my best friend’s ex (F and X); they were together for 2 years but split about a year ago. Last friday I met her at a farewell party that turned out to be for her present bf. I was doped as ****, paranoid withdrawn —the freak of the party—, yet all night she stayed next to me talking, dancing, joking, drinking, etc. She would briefly go to her bf’s group but then return. The following day I felt like ****, as if my heart had been sucked off and crushed by a steamroller… so I realised this **** was deeper that I thought! Anyways, my friend F told me that she is not going after his bf, so she is soon to be single. This made me rethink that night: could she had been “throwing” signals at me?

When she was engaged with F she would stare at me, get very close to me in conversation, laugh at my jokes, show admiration, etc. All this in plain sight of my friend, who was visibly uncomfortable. Some would consider her attitude as disrespectful: for instance, one time while tripping balls she asked a mutual friend to tell me that she loved me… again in front of F (love is a big word around here, though it may have been just gratitude, as I provided the acid and it was her first time). Needless to say this was all very painful, but I eventually resolved to make some subtle advances to test her reaction… and she ignored them.

I know, it all sounds like your typical case of friend zoning and/or that she’s a bitch, but she’s not. I'm hooked to her, and I can feel she has a strong affinity to me. What are your opinions? FORGET HER? MAKE A MOVE?

jespah

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2015 10:53 am
@angstforangst,
They split up a year ago. The Statute of Limitations has run.

Ask her out. And don't talk love until at least your third date.

Name your first kid after me.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2015 11:04 am
@angstforangst,
angstforangst wrote:

Last friday I met her at a farewell party that turned out to be for her present bf.

so she is soon to be single.

Her current boyfriend is leaving town. She is not single right now.

Wait til it's confirmed that she is single. Then ask her out for a coffee/whatever. Start with something somewhat casual. She may not be prepared to go from "in a relationship" to dating immediately.
0 Replies

angstforangst

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2015 11:04 am
@jespah,
@jespah
If positive, our kid shall have your name, bunny ears and dog face!

Any other opiniones out there? I'm still way insecure about this. She might just be a friendly girl after all...

BTW, I'm being so cautious because she still has contact with my friend. They had a dog when they were together and now they have "shared custody". My friend is getting married and AFAIK she is also way past him. I would hate to ridicule myself though, in this context.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2015 11:06 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

They split up a year ago.

and she's got a current boyfriend
PUNKEY

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2015 12:08 pm
All this happened when you were high?

Then it was all fantasy.
jespah

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2015 12:22 pm
@ehBeth,
Oops, missed that part.

So - wait for her to be free, then ask.

If, in a few years, I meet a couple with a kid who looks like a Boston Terrier in a pink bunny suit, I'll know it's you.
0 Replies

angstforangst

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2015 01:21 pm
@PUNKEY,
@punkey:

Yes, I was high that night, but everything I wrote is based on objective, actual facts. From the moment I arrived, left, returned (went to check out another party in the vicinity), and finally left for real, she was with me about 90% of the time. That must have lasted 3-4 hours.

Who knows? Perhaps she was just bored and wanted some of that cheap wine I was carrying.
0 Replies