who is your favorite generals in history?

Xavier

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 01:11 am
For me:
1) General Augusto Pinochet Ugarte because he saved his country from communism.
2) Octavius Augustus, First Roman Emperor.
3) Bohemond of Tarento, first Prince of Antioch and hero of the First Cruzade.
4) Richard I (The lionheart) King of England
Regards.
Xavier
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 10:31 pm
^JB^ wrote:
Zhu Ge Liang.

Anyone who have read "The Romance of Three Kingdoms" certainly know him.

I watched the movie. talk about the genius of the world. If only he was alive now...China would benefit heaps from his wisdom. Why do smart ppl like him only live in history?

Its not fair.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 12:10 am
Xavier wrote:
For me:
1) General Augusto Pinochet Ugarte because he saved his country from communism.
2) Octavius Augustus, First Roman Emperor.
3) Bohemond of Tarento, first Prince of Antioch and hero of the First Cruzade.
4) Richard I (The lionheart) King of England
Regards.
Xavier

I can't understand how you can mention Pinochet before the others. He may have been an efficient anti-democratic dictator, just as ruthless and cruel to his enemies as the other three, but his military credentials are zero: he never fought a single battle unless you count deposing a democratically elected president in a bloody coup d'état and assassinating thousands of unarmed civilians.

Troll, right?
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 12:16 pm
1. Alexander the Great
2. Leonidas
3. Miltiadis
4. Pausanias
5. Theodoros Kolokotronis
6. Pavlos Melas
7. Napoleon Bonaparte
0 Replies

Milfmaster9

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 04:47 pm
1. Leonidas of Sparta.. Legend...

2. Demosthenes (and Cleon) at Pylos, defeated the Spartans and captured 292 of them for minimal casualties...

3. Me, my battle will happen soon... One man vs. The Armies of the AntiChrist... After much bloodshed, I win and become a new god... (Destiny)
0 Replies

eliana09

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 10:37 am
1. Alexander the Great

2. Napoleon Bonaparte

3. Hannibal

4. Eisenhower

5. MacArthur

6. Charles De Gaulle

7. Marc Anthony

8. and the very British Churchill
0 Replies

Alexander Masan

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 09:53 pm
1. Alexander the Great
2. Hannibal
3. Julius Caesar
4. Napoleon Bonaparte
5. Erwin Rommel

If I had to choose one of them, I would have to choose Alexander the Great, with Rommel in close second.
0 Replies

jbruce

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:32 pm
My Favorite General
Arthur Wellesley, the Duke of Wellington

Proved his worth in the Peninsular War, and while I dont agree ( with the benefit of hindsight) on his politics he was an excellent tactician and a good, albeit harsh, commander. He had a sense of style I can't help but admire.Posted below is one of his letters ( a brilliant letter and one I suspect many a Commander would just love to write).

Gentlemen,

Whilst marching from Portugal to a position which commands the approach to Madrid and the French forces, my officers have been diligently complying with your requests which have been sent by H.M. ship from London to Lisbon and thence by dispatch to our headquarters.

We have enumerated our saddles, bridles, tents and tent poles, and all manner of sundry items for which His Majesty's Government holds me accountable. I have dispatched reports on the character, wit, and spleen of every officer. Each item and every farthing has been accounted for, with two regrettable exceptions for which I beg your indulgence.

Unfortunately the sum of one shilling and ninepence remains unaccounted for in one infantry battalion's petty cash and there has been a hideous confusion as to the number of jars of raspberry jam issued to one cavalry regiment during a sandstorm in western Spain. This reprehensible carelessness may be related to the pressure of circumstance, since we are at war with France, a fact which may come as a bit of a surprise to you gentlemen in Whitehall.

This brings me to my present purpose, which is to request elucidation of my instructions from His Majesty's Government so that I may better understand why I am dragging an army over these barren plains. I construe that perforce it must be one of two alternative duties, as given below. I shall pursue either one with the best of my ability, but I cannot do both:

1. To train an army of uniformed British clerks in Spain for the benefit of the accountants and copy-boys in London or perchance;

2. To see to it that the forces of Napoleon are driven out of Spain.

Your most obedient servant,

Wellington
0 Replies

Milfmaster9

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 06:35 pm
and he was irish! although he never admitted it...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 08:22 pm
From a groundpounder's perspective, no doubt about it; my favorite General of all time was

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/9017/chestypuller8qw.th.jpg

Lieutenant General Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller

37 years of service, with active duty both enlisted and commissioned, 5 Navy Crosses, The Distinguished Service Cross, Silver Star, 2 Legions of Merit (with Valor Device), Bronze Star (with Valor Device), the Air Medal, the Purple Heart (with clusters), assorted other decorations, and numerous awards and citations granted by Non-US governments and militaries. Among his more memorable quotes are these three, quite illustrative of his spirit and attitude:

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away this time."

"We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem."

"We're here to fight."

Chesty lived, ate, slept, and fought, and bled with the troops he led, asking no man to do anything he would not do, and in many cases had done. A hard but just taskmaster, Chesty led by example, earning the respect and admiration of all who served with him. While it has been my privilege to have met him, I never had the honor to be under his command, but my dad did - twice.

Good night, Chesty, where ever you are.
0 Replies

upstudio

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 04:59 pm
1.Sun Wu
2.Hannibal
3.Cao Cao
4.Cornelius Scipio (Africanus)
5.King Alexandria
0 Replies

upstudio

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 05:03 pm
PS:Seems that Sun Wu is called "Sun Tzu" in English
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 05:04 pm
Zapata
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 05:15 pm
upstudio wrote:

Any relation to Sun Che?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 05:56 pm
Gyorgyi Klapka.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 06:22 pm
General Gau kicks ass.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 06:24 pm
gust wrote:
Put me down for Gerneral Admission

That'll cost you 20% more than senior prices. Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 06:26 pm
Has anybody named Genghis Khan?
0 Replies

upstudio

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 07:06 am
Setanta wrote:
upstudio wrote:

Any relation to Sun Che?

Maybe Sun Tzu was the ancestor of Sun Che, but there's no evidence shows that.
Sun Che was one lived in SanGuo period, and it was him who died very young; while Sun Tzu lived hundreds years ago.
Sun Che was very good at personal fighting, not so good at tactics and strategy.
In contrast, Sun Tzu was very good at tactics and strategy.
Hope I made myself clear.
I think you're familar with Chinese history, few people knows Sun Che out of China.Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 07:43 am
Now i feel really stupid . . . you're referring to Sun Tzu who was the author of The Art of War in roughly the sixth century BCE . . . oops . . .

As for Sun Che, i stumbled on The Romance of the Three Kingdoms many years ago, and so became familiar with Sun Che, Cao Cao, Lu Bu, Dong Zhuo, Liu Bei, Guan Yu--the entire cast of characters, both historical and fictional. I had previously been familiar with the dynastic history of Chinese empires, but RTK was my first exposure to detailed Chinese history.
0 Replies