Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Cool
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,605 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 06:23 am
Homonymns and Homophones are the bane of all Spell Checkers, however, a good Grammar Checker will pick most of these up as inconsistent.

Nice rhyme.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 06:33 am
Well, all the misspelled words exist in English. The text lacks any sense, but the spell checker cannot "see" this, it just compares spelling of every word with the words stored in its vocabulary. From the other side, spellcheckers often flag properly spelled words as errors, especially common abbreviations (like U.S. or IMHO), proper and family names of political leaders (Saddam Hussein, for example), etc.
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 08:00 am
When a Spell checker does higlight a word that its dictionary doesn't recognise, just right click on the word and select "add" - it will now be added to your checker's dictionary - no more problems in future.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 10:48 am
Bib, If I get those spell checker warnings about 75 percent of the time, does that mean the spell checker just lacks all the words in the English language? Right clicking may expand my dictionary, but after awhile, people may not recognize the meaning of my posts. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 10:53 am
Don't laugh to hard c.i.! As you may have noticed I am really bad at typing out "the" as 'teh". I had run a dioument through Word's Spellcheck feature and clicked a box to fast and added "teh" to the dictionary by mistake.

It never pointed out "teh" as spelled incorrectly again! lol

oiy! Sometimes 'puters aren't as smart as we think they are!
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 04:33 pm
C.I. === you sure your spell checker isn't rigged up for Double Dutch or even worse, it's a Spell Checker For Wiches, as in Macbeth
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 05:19 pm
oak, The idea of Wiches or Macbeth never entered my mind. My education ended with grade 16, and not in English lit. c.i.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 02:53 pm
spellcheck
hi ci - my problem with spellcheckers is that they constantly offer me American spelling even when set to UK English.

I have to add the dictionary constantly - colour, recognise, advertise etc....

I constantly type teh instead of the Rolling Eyes , so set it up as an autocorrect - that solves the problem.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 05:59 pm
c.i. -- my students are constantly telling me they don't need to learn how to spell because they have Spell Check on their 'puters. That's when I pull out your poem (or something similar) to demonstrate that Spell Check will have no effect on homophones, which are the most common spelling errors that people make. You simply have to know the difference between 'there' and their'; 'then' amd 'than'; 'threw' and through' etc.

Bib -- thanx for that right-click tip. I didn't know that. Learn something new every day.
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 11:23 pm
hmm i suggest u download a spellcheck www.downloads.com thats where i got my spellcheck it work's great for me just search for spellcheck.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 07:12 am
Hi, Mr. Thoughts. Didn't seem to be working for you just now, when you inserted that unnecessary apostrophe in the word 'works.' Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 11:34 am
It's only important to see that a arcane topic like this one can be educational for some of us! LOL c.i.
0 Replies