Ladies and Girlie men

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 05:23 pm
The simple truth in my position is not going to go away, Set. I made a simple, observation and you've become increasingly unglued in your attempt to prove it false. I've absorbed a whole slew of insults from you in addition to your overly patronizing tone about how slowly you need to go over things and what not and you're offended because I called you friend? Fear not. If this is the way you intend to treat me, I won't make the mistake again. Rolling Eyes

A child could see it is you who is upset, and viewing this thread with undue importance, "raising the level of discourse to hysterical accusation", not I. You think I'm "bullyragging" you? Really Setanta, this is disappointing. Trade shoes, re-read the thread and see how wrong you are. Or don't... I really don't care. Rolling Eyes

Btw, does Senator Orrin Hatch qualify as a staunch conservative? Click here.
(shakes head in disbelief)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 07:02 pm
How well "glued" i may or may not be is not a subject upon which you have any authority to speak. In speaking to my Sweetiepie this evening, i heard her unspoken criticism, and have thought about it and agree that i ought not to have spoken ill to you. For that you have my sincere apology. For your feeble theory of ideological hypocricy with which you are attempting to tar those with whom you suspect you disagree, without even being certain, i have no regard and retain no interest.

I am genuinely sorry to have spoken unkindly to you. I am genuinely uninterested in your further attempts to belittle an entire class of people. But, you go ahead if it entertains you . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 07:24 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
D, this is the second time in as many weeks I've seen someone reach all the way down to the nigger-card for comparison sake, and you are flat out wrong to do so. The term girlie may not be to your liking but it is hardly on parallel with the most hateful single-word degradation in the English language. Snap out of it.

And those of you suggesting that it's indicative of all this woman-hating bla, bla, bla... stop it. You know that isn't true of me, so don't label the joke evil just because you don't approve of the man.

It strikes me as terribly funny that the very people who are supposedly upset about the comment have insured that a Billion more people than the original relative handful will hear it.

Lighten up girlie men, manly girls and dogly cats.

No, Bill - I won't "snap out of it".

But - let me preface my remarks to say that if your thread is referring to some SNL skit, not to a dismissal as funny of Schwarzenegger's stupid insult, then I know nothing of such a skit - and I am responding to you with the view that you have said that we oughta not take his bull seriously - that it is just funny, ok?

If it is about some skit - no worries.

And yes, I know you are not a woman-hating bla bla - that is why I have said that I am more upset about folk like you saying lighten up than I am about an idiot speaking like one, ok?

So - why shouldn't I just laugh at Arnie?

What do you think he meant by "girlie men"?

I assume it to mean that he used the word girly to mean weak, wimpy, un-courageous, pathetic. Do you agree?

Do you agree that this uses a negative (of course) stereotyping of females and female attributes to insult a group of men?

Kind of like "you're an old woman" to insult a timorous man? "Hysterical" to insult behaviour by comparing it to women? (You know, of course, that hysteria was thought to result from the untoward movement of the womb around the body?), "What are you? A GIRL?!" and the whole plethora of insults used to put down men (and women) by saying their behaviour is feminine.

You have no trouble denouncing such stereotyping as disgusting if used of blacks, Jews etc. Why the trivialising if used of women?

Actually, I DO find using words referring to my gender being used to condemn people for weakness and cowardice disgusting. I DO find using femaleness as a signifier for weakness and ridiculousness disgusting. I do find stupid negative stereotyping of any group hateful.

And tough titty to you, Bill, if you think that a joke.

It wasn't that long ago that being female meant not being a legal adult or a citizen. It meant not having rights over your own property. It meant getting half a man's pay for the same work. It meant not being allowed to work at things like medicine and typing and nursing. It meant not being able to attend university. I could go on - for a LONG time, but I won't, because, hey - that is just trivial and funny, eh?

Imagine 50 years in the future - and "acting like a man" (as some men already complain it has become) is seen as a somewhat humorous (for women) insult - meaning mindlessly violent, stupid, dominated by sexual needs and unable to act rationally because of them.

Chelsea Clinton is president - and is very upset by the female-dominated congress' inability to get legislation through. She comes in to rally and castigate the troops "You're not real women" she says (ignoring the handful of male legislators) "You're manly-women! You haven't the ovaries to get off your tushies and make things happen!

Of course, now, this just seems hilarious, because you cannot really imagine it - though I notice men getting very upset over negative stereotyping of males already - after just a couple of decades of a semblance of it. What MEN! How testicular! Try several thousand years - but this is a digression - it is just as crappy to denigrate men as it is to denigrate women.

And I take such denigration seriously - whether it be about blacks, moslems, women or people with big bums (like me).

Heavy up Bill - this stuff ain't funny.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 07:31 pm
heavy up . . . heeheeheeheehee . . . nice turn of phrase . . . hey, don't point that thing at me, i didn't say nothin' about the girls . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 02:36 am
Oh, fear not, Set - I NEVER point things at men - it ain't chivalrous.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 05:28 am
I would certainly never expect you to tradduce chevaucerie, Dear Wabbit . . .
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 06:27 am
Setanta wrote:
I am genuinely sorry to have spoken unkindly to you.
Apology accepted with neither hesitation nor reservation.
Setanta wrote:
I am genuinely uninterested in your further attempts to belittle an entire class of people.
I don't even know what the hell you are talking about. If I belittled anyone, it would be the hyper-partisan among us from both sides of the political fence. Since some of my favorite people fit the description, and I kid them about it quite regularly, I'd be horrified to learn they reacted as you have. Fortunately, I know most don't.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 08:30 am
dlowan wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Lighten up girlie men, manly girls and dogly cats.

No, Bill - I won't "snap out of it".
Yikes… I guess not. I sincerely hope I don't offend you by answering your post honestly. I know no other way to do so.

dlowan wrote:
But - let me preface my remarks to say that if your thread is referring to some SNL skit, not to a dismissal as funny of Schwarzenegger's stupid insult, then I know nothing of such a skit - and I am responding to you with the view that you have said that we oughta not take his bull seriously - that it is just funny, ok?

If it is about some skit - no worries.
Well, it came from a skit D that was designed to make fun of people like Arnold. Hans and Franz (Kevin Nealon, Dana Carvey) would come out like a couple of jackasses with badly faked muscles stuffed in their clothes and announce in Arnold like accents that; "We're here to PUMP (clap) you up." Then they would proceed by calling people who don't body build silly names like girly men. This was a recurring skit that was once joined by Arnold himself while he was hosting the show… and it was all in good fun.
http://www.schwarzenegger.com/en/life/didyouknow/images/arn_hanz_franz.jpg
Arnold also made several references to this skit during his campaign.
Quote:
The Austrian-born actor appeared to pay tribute to Hans and Franz's favorite phrase -- "We want to pump you up!" -- when he announced his political intentions on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno."
"I can promise you that when I go to Sacramento, I will pump up Sacramento," Schwarzenegger said.
(The original Reuters piece appears to be gone, but someone had quoted it here.)

dlowan wrote:
And yes, I know you are not a woman-hating bla bla - that is why I have said that I am more upset about folk like you saying lighten up than I am about an idiot speaking like one, ok?
I understand you, thank you.

dlowan wrote:
So - why shouldn't I just laugh at Arnie?

What do you think he meant by "girlie men"?

I assume it to mean that he used the word girly to mean weak, wimpy, un-courageous, pathetic. Do you agree?
Weak? Yes. Wimpy? For a man, yes. Un-courageous? Stretching badly. Pathetic? Wholly imagined by you.

dlowan wrote:
Do you agree that this uses a negative (of course) stereotyping of females and female attributes to insult a group of men?
Yes. As I said in my last post, to accuse a woman of being extra-masculine, is the same type of insult. I am equally amused by both.

dlowan wrote:
Kind of like "you're an old woman" to insult a timorous man? "Hysterical" to insult behaviour by comparing it to women? (You know, of course, that hysteria was thought to result from the untoward movement of the womb around the body?), "What are you? A GIRL?!" and the whole plethora of insults used to put down men (and women) by saying their behaviour is feminine.
No, I didn't know that… And I suppose once upon a time I would have been more inclined to take the gripes more seriously. There are plenty of places I would today. California isn't one of them and is in fact probably the very last place I would.

dlowan wrote:
You have no trouble denouncing such stereotyping as disgusting if used of blacks, Jews etc. Why the trivialising if used of women?
NOT in this category.

dlowan wrote:
Actually, I DO find using words referring to my gender being used to condemn people for weakness and cowardice disgusting. I DO find using femaleness as a signifier for weakness and ridiculousness disgusting.
dlowan wrote:
I do find stupid negative stereotyping of any group hateful.
I see that. But I think it would serve you well to consider the degree of the offense instead of the all-or-none grouping you are employing here.

dlowan wrote:
And tough titty to you, Bill, if you think that a joke.
No, I don't. And I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you are not further offended by my honest discourse.

dlowan wrote:
It wasn't that long ago that being female meant not being a legal adult or a citizen. It meant not having rights over your own property. It meant getting half a man's pay for the same work. It meant not being allowed to work at things like medicine and typing and nursing. It meant not being able to attend university. I could go on - for a LONG time, but I won't, because, hey - that is just trivial and funny, eh?
Not at all.

dlowan wrote:
Imagine 50 years in the future - and "acting like a man" (as some men already complain it has become) is seen as a somewhat humorous (for women) insult - meaning mindlessly violent, stupid, dominated by sexual needs and unable to act rationally because of them.

Chelsea Clinton is president - and is very upset by the female-dominated congress' inability to get legislation through. She comes in to rally and castigate the troops "You're not real women" she says (ignoring the handful of male legislators) "You're manly-women! You haven't the ovaries to get off your tushies and make things happen!

Of course, now, this just seems hilarious, because you cannot really imagine it - though I notice men getting very upset over negative stereotyping of males already - after just a couple of decades of a semblance of it. What MEN! How testicular! Try several thousand years - but this is a digression - it is just as crappy to denigrate men as it is to denigrate women.
Did you really write that without cracking a single smile? That sounds like a Saturday Night Live skit in the making. And don't write off my response as not having the imagination to see your point. I do… and that's when I started laughing. I think Chris Rock is a riot when he gets on Black people's cases. I laugh like hell at the way television portrays men in general to be the "mindlessly violent, stupid, dominated by sexual needs and unable to act rationally" creatures you describe. I also found the Hans and Franz S&L skit funny as well as Arnold's revisiting of it. It's all in good fun.

dlowan wrote:
And I take such denigration seriously - whether it be about blacks, moslems, women or people with big bums (like me).
So do I; if needs to be taken seriously, Dlowan, so do I. And, I think you know that. I'm an "ignorant hick" from Wisconsin with a dome giving way to chrome and the grammar skills of a 12 year old. When people slight me for these traits, with varying degrees of malice; I take it with various degrees of humor depending on their intent and whether or not it's funny. If it's funny, I laugh. If it's not, I shrug. I never promote any insult to the hateful import of the N-word or for that matter the C-word. These two words I have no use for and find virtually any comparison to them absurd.

I've been known to laugh at the most serious of subjects. When my mom was dying of cancer and the Chemo treatment made her hair fall out, I chided her that she "couldn't eat just one, eh?" (Potato chip commercial reference) and "you just had to look like Mike? (Jordan). When the steroids made her face inflate, I called her pork chop. Just because words are used to lighten a serious subject, doesn't mean the subject is taken lightly. Conversely, when someone takes a light subject out of context for the purpose of serious censure, I find it very silly. Humor is usually a very good thing.

dlowan wrote:
Heavy up Bill - this stuff ain't funny.
Again, I hope you are not offended but... Heavy up... That, my dear, is funny.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 09:55 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I don't even know what the hell you are talking about. If I belittled anyone, it would be the hyper-partisan among us from both sides of the political fence. Since some of my favorite people fit the description, and I kid them about it quite regularly, I'd be horrified to learn they reacted as you have. Fortunately, I know most don't.

I am sad to say, you probably don't know what i'm talking about. Your entire rant on this topic--blown enormously out of the proportion suggested when i made a silly remark only for the humours effect--inferentially charges those whom you identify as "liberal democrats" with ideological hypocricy. You make your case entirely out of straw men, and you raise the level of accusatory dialogue to near hysteria with the use of a term such as "hyper-partisan." As i've already pointed out, this is a molehill into mountain exercise. As Dart and Redheat pointed out, before i pointed it out more than once myself, this is a non-issue except with regard to Arnold. Your inferential accusation of ideological hypocricy smears an entire class of people. I was personally offended to see you using an attack-posting style reminiscent of some of the most egreggiously partisan posters here such as Karzak (on the right) or Infowarrior (on the left), employing wildly extravagent claims, and extrapolating from little to no data (in this case, Phoenix saying she opposes such an amendment) to a contention that "liberal democrats" (without further qualification, this means all liberal democrats) want to argue against the extension of rights to immigrants. That very language is disingenuous, in the kindest construction; in the most critical, it appears that you're hysterically reacting to casual, silly remarks to manufacture an excuse to attack those with whom you suspect you disagree, without actually knowing if they do disagree.

I took this pretty easy for a while when the exchange first took place, but i finally grew weary of your pig-headedness in insisting on employing a sledgehammer to swat a fly. One of my first experiences of your participation in these fora was in defending you against just such an outrageous attack made on you by the Hobbit (Dog rest his virtual soul). It has been a disgusting experience to see you employ the same shabby tactics here as those which i condemned when the Hobbit used them on you. For that, i resent you deeply. For that, i have little reason to consider you a friend. Friends don't betray trust so casually, and for so little reason, in such a dubious cause.

Please respect my request that you not address me again on this stupid, useless, manufactured topic.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 12:20 pm
What a fun argument! Please don't let it end. I am loving this virtual brawl. Is that wrong? Laughing
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 12:21 pm
kickycan wrote:
What a fun argument! Please don't let it end. I am loving this virtual brawl. Is that wrong? Laughing

step aside Eddie Haskell.....before someone gets hurt Laughing
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 01:00 pm
Setanta wrote:
Please respect my request that you not address me again on this stupid, useless, manufactured topic.

No, I will not respect a request to not respond to yet another long insulting, inaccurate tirade on a topic that you, yourself manufactured. Feel free to ignore my response if it pleases you, but I don't lay down for groundless attacks on my character from those preaching as if they are holier than thou while clearly demonstrating that they are not.

This is the post that got this ball rolling:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Redheat wrote:
D'artagnan wrote:
I might favor an amendment to allow foreign-born citizens to run for President, if it weren't for the fact that Arnold is the poster child for the campaign. No thanks. He give new meaning to the word "unevolved."

Yeah I'd like to see their faces if say a Muslim ran. Of course they are only thinking of one person and sorry but if Arnold is the best they can do then we are in a heap of trouble.
What is the reason for this idiotic babble? Who are "they"? It makes little difference who runs... what matters is who wins. Idea

Put the gropinator out of your minds for a moment and I wonder how many of you hyper-partisan folks would be forced to switch sides.

My entire point was that because Arnold is currently the only candidate likely to be affected by such a change, people from both sides of the political fence are arguing opposite sides from where I would normally expect them to be.

Redheat's; "Yeah I'd like to see their faces if say a Muslim ran." Struck me as idiotic, so I said so and why. Take note of who here is presuming positions to argue against. It isn't me. My response was direct and utilized a single quote to isolate what I am responding to.

D'artagnan's words; "if it weren't for the fact that Arnold is the poster child for the campaign" make it quite clear that he too found that Arnold was the reason for a change of thought. Later, he even asked who's partisanship came first. Obviously, my point wasn't lost on him.

Setanta wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

I am sad to say, you probably don't know what i'm talking about. Your entire rant on this topic--blown enormously out of the proportion suggested when i made a silly remark only for the humours effect--inferentially charges those whom you identify as "liberal democrats" with ideological hypocricy.
Set, I was being polite. I should have said you don't know what the hell you are talking about. Your inferred charges exclusive to "liberal democrats" are wholly imagined. The hypocrisy I implied had no partisan boundary whatsoever. While your defense of Redheat is admirable, your inclusion of yourself as being painted by my comments is silly. You volunteered to be counted with the ranks of the hyper-partisan and now you feel I've betrayed your friendship, because of your false inference. That's BS, but we'll get to that later.
Setanta wrote:
You make your case entirely out of straw men, and you raise the level of accusatory dialogue to near hysteria with the use of a term such as "hyper-partisan." As i've already pointed out, this is a molehill into mountain exercise.

Up until now Setanta, all of the hysterical accusatory dialogue is from you, directed at me. Again, I invite you to re-read the thread and watch you're shrill insulting tone accelerate at a pace that dwarves even the false perception you have of mine. As for your repeated Strawman accusation, Orrin Hatch introduced the idea in the Senate SPECIFICALLY about this, and I provided you a link. How could that be a Strawman? Every conservative republican (Orrin Hatch) who likes the idea and every liberal democrat who oppose it are doing so out of partisan loyalty, not ideology. This is where my charge of hyper partisanship comes into play. Since you haven't even voiced an opinion on the issue, any self-inclusion in that charge is 100% your own voluntary inclusion. Don't blame me.

Setanta wrote:
As Dart and Redheat pointed out, before i pointed it out more than once myself, this is a non-issue except with regard to Arnold. Your inferential accusation of ideological hypocricy smears an entire class of people. I was personally offended to see you using an attack-posting style reminiscent of some of the most egreggiously partisan posters here such as Karzak (on the right) or Infowarrior (on the left),

What you demonstrate here, is that you are capable of seeing the hyper partisan folks on both sides of the ball. Very good. My definition would include McG and Ican opposing Blatham, CI and yes Redheat as well. Since I've seen Setanta distribute the voice of reason from both sides of the ball, I would not include him here.

Setanta wrote:
employing wildly extravagent claims, and extrapolating from little to no data (in this case, Phoenix saying she opposes such an amendment) to a contention that "liberal democrats" (without further qualification, this means all liberal democrats) want to argue against the extension of rights to immigrants. That very language is disingenuous, in the kindest construction; in the most critical, it appears that you're hysterically reacting to casual, silly remarks to manufacture an excuse to attack those with whom you suspect you disagree, without actually knowing if they do disagree.

Here, your own hysteria has blinded you completely. Phoenix, who is a friend of mine, whose ideology is remarkably similar to my own in many ways, usually leans towards conservative views in my opinion. I used her as an example of someone who DIDN'T let her conservative support of Bush interfere with her belief in that part of the constitution as written. How you failed to extract that meaning out of
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Phoenix was first to voice her opinion that only folks born on our soil should be allowed to hold the top office... which makes sense because it is in keeping with her standard politics.
is beyond me. I suspect the fact that you had already ignored my long before this got heated statement:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Republican's hyper-partisanship came first on this one, hands down. I wasn't picking sides on that.
left you somewhat desperate to find a way to blame me for your uncalled for outburst.

Setanta wrote:
I took this pretty easy for a while when the exchange first took place, but i finally grew weary of your pig-headedness in insisting on employing a sledgehammer to swat a fly. One of my first experiences of your participation in these fora was in defending you against just such an outrageous attack made on you by the Hobbit (Dog rest his virtual soul).
A defense that I appreciated immensely and will never forget. I, myself, have followed that lead in coming to the aid of unjustly attacked newcomers. However, My few sentence, single quote response bore no resemblance to hobit's shameless chopping of one of my posts into dozens of pieces in an attack that had no real reference to the point I was making. My "attack" was simple, to the point and directly addressed the point Redheat was trying to make. Your attack on me is far more reminiscent of the hobit. Perhaps when you get over the fact that you are wrong you'll be able to see that. This is the first post I am making on this thread that resembles Bob's work and even now I am directly engaging points you've intentionally made. You on the other hand…

Setanta wrote:
It has been a disgusting experience to see you employ the same shabby tactics here as those which i condemned when the Hobbit used them on you. For that, i resent you deeply. For that, i have little reason to consider you a friend. Friends don't betray trust so casually, and for so little reason, in such a dubious cause.
Look in the mirror my, eh, fellow A2Ker. You attacked me here, with no cause. I've treated you with nothing but respect from the beginning of this thread to the end. Not as much as you've earned by my estimation perhaps but certainly more than your behavior here deserves. I've made mention of my admiration of your demeanor on half a dozen threads at least, and meant it. Normally, I do consider you "the voice of reason".

If imagining you are part of a group that you have imagined I've separated for the purpose of insult is all it takes for you to imagine that I've betrayed your trust somehow; than by all means pretend that I caused this. You have exemplified every false accusation you made of me, here, even while you were making them… So, by all means, suit yourself… I've little use for fair-weather friends and even less for hypocrites, anyway. Good day.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 01:03 pm
I knew Bill wouldn't let me down. He's a pitbull, I tell ya!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 01:12 pm
Beat it Kicky. And get that damned tattoo removed, too.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 01:16 pm
Sheesh.
I finally came to see what was goin' on.
Pitbulls. Both of them.
Not covered under my insurance policy.

Popcorn's got lots of fiber, right?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 01:19 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Beat it Kicky. And get that damned tattoo removed, too.

Okay, I'm outta here. But let me just say one more thing.

You go, girl! Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 01:21 pm
Oh, man. Now O'Bill is even taking on against the tattooed.
I'm devastated. Sad
I was even gonna show him my next one.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 01:32 pm
kickycan wrote:
You go, girl! Laughing
Shocked How dare you? Well I never. Laughing

ehBeth wrote:
Oh, man. Now O'Bill is even taking on against the tattooed.
I'm devastated. Sad
I was even gonna show him my next one.
Don't know if you noticed that sick bastard's new sig line, but suffice to say my distaste for tats ends with him. Wait a minute. Did you you post that on the wrong thread? :wink:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 01:44 pm
Yes, I've noticed the Kcan's sig.
No, I didn't mean that for the restored circulation thread Laughing
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 01:47 pm
ehBeth wrote:
the restored circulation thread Laughing
Laughing
0 Replies