Ladies and Girlie men

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 08:19 pm
Does anyone think this is really worthy of complaint? Laughing

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2004/ALLPOLITICS/07/19/arnold.girlie.ap/vert.arnold.ap.jpg
( Rolling Eyes Hyper-PC Girlie men :wink: )
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 11,332 • Replies: 203
No top replies

fealola

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 08:23 pm
No. Funny!
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 08:27 pm
oops voting!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 08:28 pm
The girlie men thing? I didn't think it was in real good taste.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 08:30 pm
No, but I can't help it. Funny. Not PC. I don't agree politically etc. but hey, let's not lose our sense of humour! Laughing

Me bad.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 12:15 am
Sure - using insults which are contemptuous of half the human race is of no import.

Imagine if he had said "nigger men" or "faggot men".

Sheesh - and, of course, to object and say this plainly paints him as the smeg head he is is to be humourless and "PC".

Bring on humourless and PC, I say.

Of course, I have no intention of allowing the dribblings of idiots to upset my life - but man I hate it when the "just funny brigade" get going.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 12:30 am
I've no problem with the joke girlie Bill ;-) , but I'd rather have a governor with more maturity.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 12:58 am
Sexist PIG
The remark demonstrates the CA governor is a sexist pig.

Schwarzenegger intended the phrase "girly men" to be an insult. His insult was directed at the state's male legislators--but it is also an insult to women. Although the female legislators are probably just as "guilty" for not getting the budget passed on Arnold's time table, he doesn't even consider women legislators significant enough to address.

He essentially said, "Women are just an obstacle in men's work--and you men are falling down on your jobs--you miserable girly boys."

He was clearly implying that the male legislators didn't have the "balls" or the "testicles" to get the job done. Apparently, anyone with girl-like qualities is unacceptable in Schwarzenegger's view--he only wants people with testicles on his team.

Ahhnold, you are a sexist pig, sexist pig, sexist pig.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 01:32 am
Debra
You go girl ;-)
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 01:38 am
His statment shows: Schwarzenegger must still practise his job. He has in nine days his birthday, so there a stamp will be released July 30, Schwarzenegger's 57th birthday. That is it:

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2004/WORLD/europe/07/17/austria.schwarzenegger.ap/story.arnold.stamp.postal.jpg
0 Replies

Earl Grey

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 03:32 am
I have mixed feelings about this.
On the one hand I find the expression funny - probably because I absolutely loved those SNL scetches - and on the other hand I think it's the lowest form of rhetoric as well as insulting.
It fits well with how I perceive Arnold, so I'm not surprised. In the event he was working on being viewed as more serious it can only be considered a step back.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 03:34 am
Earl Grey wrote:
it's the lowest form of rhetoric as well as insulting.

exactly

So also for Arnold Schwarzenegger in his job: Practice makes perfect...........
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 03:52 am
Storm in a teacup. I mean, c'mon. First off, it mostly just makes him look stupid - like some stupid jock. But then he always looked that part, so nothing new there. He came into the job with all kinda promises, now its the first time it gets rough and it turns out he cant cut it - so he starts behaving like some dumb kid. But the only way you make the epithet actually look like more than that, is by getting all worked up about it - if you get all worked up about this, then you might deserve it after all ... imho ...
0 Replies

Earl Grey

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 04:09 am
nimh wrote:
Storm in a teacup.

Very Happy
You know I had to respond to that! Wink

Seriously though, he is Arnold so it could be seen as self irony... sort of. But then he actually is the governor from whom it is fair to ask more.

Personally I'm not upset about it, but I don't live in California. To me it is something in a teacup...
0 Replies

smog

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 04:14 am
Earl Grey wrote:
Personally I'm not upset about it, but I don't live in California.

With various controversies surrounding politically correct speech and the growing hostility between Republicans and Democrats and the whole Whopi Goldberg incident, people all over the country are getting upset over this incident, not just residents of California.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 04:24 am
Earl Grey wrote:
nimh wrote:
Storm in a teacup.

Very Happy
You know I had to respond to that! Wink

LOL! No personal slight intended, me'lord ...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 04:45 am
I wouldn't make a big stink about it, but I think that the remark DOES demonstrate Arnold's deepest feelings about women. Bottom line, unfortunately that is the attitude of many (note that I did not say "most") men!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 06:44 am
Hey Sam, next year the VLT goes online and will be 50 times more powerful than Hubble. Already, they are using Hubble as a viewfinder!

Hey Sam, next year the VLT goes online and will be 50 times more powerful than Hubble. Already, they are using Hubble as a viewfinder!

LMAO. The S&L skit, by design, made the users of the term look stupid. As a matter of fact; the entire skit was designed to make body builders look stupid. Suggesting a man is girlie is indeed an insult, but no more so than suggesting a woman is boyish. The super-ridiculous part is the fact that this has gotten such huge billing in the news. There is nothing earth shattering here.

D, this is the second time in as many weeks I've seen someone reach all the way down to the nigger-card for comparison sake, and you are flat out wrong to do so. The term girlie may not be to your liking but it is hardly on parallel with the most hateful single-word degradation in the English language. Snap out of it.

And those of you suggesting that it's indicative of all this woman-hating bla, bla, bla... stop it. You know that isn't true of me, so don't label the joke evil just because you don't approve of the man.

It strikes me as terribly funny that the very people who are supposedly upset about the comment have insured that a Billion more people than the original relative handful will hear it.

Lighten up girlie men, manly girls and dogly cats.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 06:54 am
Dogly cats, hahaha!!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 07:03 am
Where's all that enthusiasm for amending the constitution to allow the foreign-born citizen to stand for President? How much longer will you folks wait?

Are you ready to sign on now?
0 Replies