The Democrat Convention---2004

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 10:39 pm
No, the medly of Williams' movie themes was bookended by War of 1812.

Not humor, not partisanship, just irony.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 11:46 pm
'Help is on the way,' Kerry tells middle class
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2004/ALLPOLITICS/07/29/dems.main/vert.2259.kerry.jpg
Quote:
Sen. John Kerry opened his pivotal prime time speech Thursday at the Democratic National Convention by re-introducing himself to the party faithful and, he hopes, to undecided voters.

"I'm John Kerry, and I'm reporting for duty," the Massachusetts senator said while saluting the cheering crowd of Democratic delegates that packed Boston's FleetCenter.

He arrived on stage to cheers and the musical strains of Bruce Springsteen's "No Surrender."

Kerry's speech, in which he accepted his party's presidential nomination, focused mainly on the economy and the war in Iraq. (Key points)

"America can do better, and help is on the way," he said repeatedly.

In an attempt to appeal to middle class workers, he said that "wages are falling, health care costs are rising" under the Bush administration, and then promised steps to reverse that.

"I will cut middle class taxes. I will reduce the tax burden on small business. And I will roll back the tax cuts for the wealthiest individuals, who make over $200,000 a year, so we can invest in job creation, health care and education."

He also vowed to neither privatize Social Security nor cut the benefits.

But with polls showing Americans have more trust in President Bush than Kerry on national security matters, defense and security made up much of Kerry's speech.

"I defended this country as a young man, and I will defend it as president," he said after being introduced by former Sen. Max Cleland of Georgia, a fellow Vietnam veteran, who lost both legs and an arm in the war.

story
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 12:11 am
In the story Thok posted, here we are again:

But CNN's Jeff Greenfield was surprised by something that was almost missing in Kerry's speech.

Quote:
"I really have never heard an acceptance speech where 20 years of a guy's life in the U.S. Senate is kissed off in three sentences," Greenfield said.

Those three sentences were:

"When I came to the Senate, I broke with many in my own party to vote for a balanced budget, because I thought it was the right thing to do. I fought to put 100,000 cops on the street," Kerry said.

"And then I reached across the aisle to work with John McCain, to find the truth about our POW's and missing in action, and to finally make peace with Vietnam."

Even Kerry must realize his voting record is damning to anybody who cares about the economy, about the military, or about the War on Terrorism. And of course, if he talks about his Senate record, he opens the door for the big "L" - it will be pointed out that he is rated at or near the top so far as his score for voting liberal.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 05:33 am
historically speaking, Kerry's voting record is of zero significance. The few moments that I listened to his "speech" on the car radio were enough to give me a headache because he had just about as little to say as does Bush. So far I have seen/listened to about 15 minutes of the convention so I may have to "write in" al sharpton. this election year is a good match for the last one (gore-bush) tweedledum vs tweedlledee)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 06:23 am
It doesn't bother you that Kerry's had 17 years to push his initiatives and he has done next to nothing? How can any of his promises be considered trustworthy? He'll be fighting a republican congress if he wins. I just don't see him being able to live up to his promises.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 06:33 am
the only thing that bothers me is that the dregs of the body politic are being offered by supposedly opposing party's as viable candidates for the voter to chose from.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 06:49 am
dyslexia wrote:
the only thing that bothers me is that the dregs of the body politic are being offered by supposedly opposing party's as viable canditates for the voter to chose from.

Laughing
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 06:51 am
Foxfyre wrote:

Even Kerry must realize his voting record is damning to anybody who cares about the economy, about the military, or about the War on Terrorism. And of course, if he talks about his Senate record, he opens the door for the big "L" - it will be pointed out that he is rated at or near the top so far as his score for voting liberal.

You are way off base about that.

If Kerry were truly liberal I would support him wholeheartedly.

I only wish you were right.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 09:01 am
Well you might as well vote for him ebrown as both the liberal and conservative gurus give him a massive liberal rating. Of course the liberals see this as a good thing and the conservatives see it as a negative.

I'm really curious about the GOP convention now to see if they can come up with as many non issues and as little substance as the Dems did.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 09:05 am
Now, that's sorta puzzlin' ebrown. Did the Centrist Costume Kerry donned for the Convention blind you to the fact he has the most liberal voting record of any sitting Federal Legislator?

Not at all to the same point, but interesting as well regards Kerry's record as a Federal Legislator is that in his 20 years there, he has personally sponsored or co-sponsored fewer than a dozen bills, most of which were procedural or ceremonial, including, in 1996, Senate Bill 1580, "A Bill To provide funding for community-oriented policing, to reduce funding for the Department of Defense, and for other purposes", which carried the name of no other Senator and failed 73 - 27. For a man who now says he wants to change the way things are done, he doesn't seem to have done much to get it done his way.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 09:32 am
well, it's interesting, at least to me, that I would regard Kerry's "liberalness" on a par with Bush's "conservativeness". Both being more fiction than reality, but hey, I'm the resident anarchist so what would I know.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 09:38 am
Here's a plan, dys ... how 'bout you start a movement to organize the anarchists? :wink:
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 09:42 am
I don't advocate or join groups of any kind (other than my bowling team) and movements are reserved for my bowels.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 09:49 am
The last time i joined anything, it was the United States Army . . . that exhausted my lifetime supply of joining fervor . . .

I found it hilarious last night to see resident conservatives bashing the Dem convention--as though there would be no planned "spontaneous" demonstrations at the GOP convention, no fulsome speeches reeking of hypocricy, no baloons, no confetti . . . geeze, i was laughin' myself silly.

There's a sucker born every minute, and two born to take advantage of him . . .
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 09:49 am
Well the record is pretty clear that Kerry never met a liberal issue he didn't like and his voting record reflects that. He is also on record pretty much 100% that the very few 'conservative' issues he has voted for, he now regrets his vote. Smile

Bush I don't think is a fiscal conservative at all, at least certainly not as much as us real conservatives would wish. He also is not as much of a social conservative as some of the far right wingnuts would wish, though I think he's hit a pretty good balance between conservative and liberal on social issues.

I'm hoping the Dems shot themselves in the foot (painlessly of course.) They did their dangdest to show Kerry as a moderate or even slightly right of center--Kerry even threw a bone to the religious right--but their constituency wasn't watching, and they put a lot of stuff out there that won't hold up once the GOP starts picking it apart.

That's assuming the GOP was paying attention and will be smart enough to pick it apart without playing the 'gotcha' card or being overtly hateful.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 09:54 am
This idea that Kerry is a hard-core liberal intrigues me, because the people I now would qualify as hard-core liberals don't think of him as such. It's the conservatives who make this claim.

I don't think the right wing really believe this, but it must seem like a useful club to beat him up with. We'll see if the voters buy it...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 09:59 am
Cogent observation, D'art . . . he's about as liberal as my neighbor's bull terrier . . .
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 10:08 am
One thing I noticed about the convention was how poorly dressed many of the delegates were. Here they are in a fairly dressy eastern city, nominating the person they hope is the next president, and they're wearing jeans and t-shirts? What's up with that? It didn't seem right.

I'll will comment as well on the dress of the R's after their convention in NYC.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 10:09 am
timberlandko wrote:

Kerry's Handlers wrote:

Quote:
Robert Shrum, Mr. Kerry's chief image guru, emerged from an undisclosed secure location - just where has the usually quotable Mr. Shrum been these last few months? - accompanied by Terry Edmonds, the chief speechwriter, supposedly to talk up Mr. Kerry's address. But they struck terror into the hearts of Democrats with the following revelations:

1) The candidate had written his own speech.

2) The candidate would try to be funny.

Mr. Kerry "wants to have fun with it," Mr. Edmonds said. "He wants to have a few moments of humor in it and lightness. So I think you will see a different John Kerry tonight."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/30/politics/campaign/30points.html
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 10:11 am
Quote:
I'm hoping the Dems shot themselves in the foot (painlessly of course.) They did their dangdest to show Kerry as a moderate or even slightly right of center--Kerry even threw a bone to the religious right--but their constituency wasn't watching, and they put a lot of stuff out there that won't hold up once the GOP starts picking it apart.

I don't think you could be more wrong about the situation.

It was a good speech. Kerry did what needed to be done. You can keep telling yourself that noone was watching... but the media was watching. The analysts all agreed that he did well, and had a lot of good things to say. People watch analysis, opinions are formed, etc.

Better watch out. The next few months are gonna be pretty uncomfortable for your boy Bush - remember, he has a few debates to get through, and Kerry can't wait for them, I guarantee. He has so much more ammo than Bush does....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies