The Democrat Convention---2004

Sofia

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 05:57 pm
Anybody else excited?

Conventions are quite a heady time, and political season gets REAL soon after.

Thought it would be fun to follow convention news.

Kerry's daughter, on FOX and CNN the other day, alluded to a planned "surprise". Hmmm, could it be a Whoopi Goldberg anatomy lesson? Bon Jovi for Secty of Defense? Colin Powell, bound and gagged, with a Kerry for President sticker on his bum...? Sandy Berger produces the classified documents he 'lost', and Kerry reads them, while Barbra Streisand sings background riffs?? WHAT COULD IT BE???

Looking forward to seeing what it is... Very Happy

Any ideas?

Who will watch? Who won't? What are you looking most forward to? (Me: Elizabeth Edwards and Teresa Heinz--for completely different reasons...)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 11,480 • Replies: 227
No top replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 06:18 pm
Democratic convention preview

A friend has forwarded us a pirated copy of the Democratic convention schedule for what appear to be the climactic festivities in Boston on July 28 or 29:

FOR THOSE OF YOU GOING TO BOSTON, HERE IS THE SCHEDULE OF EVENTS FOR THE DNC.

6:00pm - Opening flag burning ceremony.
6:00pm - Secular prayers by Rev. Jesse Jackson and Rev. Al Sharpton - collection taken during the prayer for palimony.
6:30pm - Anti-war concert by Barbra Streisand.
6:40pm - Ted Kennedy proposes a toast.
7:00pm - Tribute theme to France.
7:10pm - Collect offerings for al-Zawahri defense fund.
7:25pm - Tribute theme to Germany.
7:45pm - Antiwar rally (Moderated by Michael Moore)
8:25pm - Ted Kennedy proposes a toast.
8:30pm - Terrorist appeasement workshop.
9:00pm - Roundtable discussion of Taxes: "Calling for Higher Taxes on Others While You Pay None."

9:30pm - * Intermission * Special Guest SOLOIST JANE FONDA

10:00pm - Posting the Iraqi Colors by Sean Penn.
10:10pm - Reenactment of Kerry's fake medal toss.
10:20pm - Cameo by Dean "Yeeearrrrrrrg!"
10:30pm - Seminar: "The Boy Scouts and Other Paramilitary threats to National Security."
10:40pm - Ted Kennedy proposes a toast.
10:50pm - Pledge of allegiance to the U.N.
11:00pm - Alternative marriage ceremony.
11:15pm - Maximizing Welfare workshop.
11:30pm - "Free Saddam" pep rally.
11:50pm - Ted Kennedy proposes a toast.
12:00am - Nomination of Democratic candidate.
12:01am - Ted Kennedy proposes a toast.
12:02am - Ted Kennedy proposes a toast.

-----
<hee>
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 06:28 am
Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 08:30 am
Smile

Watching this 'labor unrest' in Boston, however, do you have any suspicion this is a ploy to ensure that Kerry can't cross the picket line, therefore his official nomination will be postponed, therefore he can continue to spend all the campaign money he wishes to spend?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 07:27 pm
I had thought he would do that, but looks like they're going ahead...

So, who's whispering in his ear about security matters, now that Berger is too dirty?

You think they'll dust off Captain Fantastic...(Wesley Clarke.) Umm, hey. What Dem is suspected of knowing anything about foreign policy?

Iwill tell you this--Kerry's "message", and the banner: 'Stronger at Home, Respected Around the World' is going to sound tainted every time they say it--With everyone knowing WHY he seems to have inside information about the status of our ports... Took another one between the eyes...

I do think Berger has rained on their parade.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 12:56 pm
Quote:
An area designated for organized protests appears enclosed by mesh and chain link fencing near the site of the upcoming Democratic National Convention, in Boston, Wednesday, July 21, 2004. A new federal lawsuit has been filed against the city over the fenced-in protest area that has been called a 'demonstration zone,' and a 'free speech zone.' (AP Photo/Steven Senne)
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/040721/480/bx11407212244

No word yet on what they'll do about the homeless around the convention center.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 05:38 pm
You'd better keep your eyes on yoyr 'Flocks" gathering

http://www.unitedforpeace.org/rnc

WE'RE COMING TO SAY "NO MORE WAR--NO MORE EMPIRE--NO MORE BUSH!
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 05:39 pm
PS.

Check out http://www.thenation.com for coverage of the convention the CEO's won't give you.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 05:42 pm
Hmmm no comment on the treatment of protesters at yours Neo? You're already highjacking Sofia's thread and jumping ahead to August?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 06:14 pm
No worries. Neo is welcomed with whatever he'd like to bring.

I think there will be plenty of positive and negative here to please everyone.

I knew the GOP would have protesters. Haven't read about the Dems' crew yet.

What about how the Dems are treating protesters? Let's have it!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 06:15 pm
Well the Dems are caging their protesters it seems. See the post a few posts back on this thread. A picture of the 'cage' was on the Drudge Report at some point today.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 06:18 pm
Sorry, Fox, I see the link.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 08:18 pm
I know this is Drudge and normally I wouldn't post him but this is just too good. He's giving this report almost verbatim on his radio program tonight (Sunday). Apparently the Dems can't touch Ted Kennedy and Al Gore, however, and are worried about what they'll say about Bush. They're editing speeches and trying to eliminate anti-Bush signs in the crowd in an effort not to make this a bash-Bush fest that will backfire on them.

http://www.drudgereport.com/dnc.htm

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX SUN JULY 25, 2004 17:02:35 ET XXXXX

INTERNAL FIGHT OVER HOW MUCH BUSH BASHING AT CONVENTION

Democrat party officials are struggling to contain the amount of anti-Bush and anti-war comments to be delivered this week during the convention in Boston, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

DNC chair Terry McAuliffe has expressed concern that nonstop Bush bashing from the podium could quickly spiral out of control and backfire.

DNC staffers have also been told to be on the lookout for "unreasonable" Bush bashing signs held by delegates on the convention floor which could be highlighted on television.

"We are not Michael Moore," McAuliffe has told his top staffers, according to a well-placed source. "Let's tell the voters what we stand for, not only what we stand against."

McAuliffe has reportedly given orders to senior staff that hard-core Bush bashing should be saved for other forums and surrogates.

"Of course there will be a fair amount of pointing out the president's record," a top party source explained from Boston.

Top Kerry strategist Bob Shrum is also warning not to turn the convention into a default Hate Bush rally.

But the temptation to rip Bush without mercy is proving to be too much for many of the speakers.

Kerry operatives are editing convention speeches, sources say, with only Al Gore and Ted Kennedy believed to be off-limits.

[The move is reminiscent of Nixon at the 1968 convention in Miami, when the campaign edited out anti-war liberal Republicans.]

Developing...
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 08:32 pm
This will be quite interesting.

They can't control the floor, and some speakers-- and Middle America is not down with the nastier aspects of President- and Bush-bashing.

It will also reveal the ABB heart of the whole party--and the fact that Kerry is their pawn.

Lead speaker, Obama, is on record as criticising Kerry on a number of issues.... Wonder which news org will share THAT during his keynote address.

I heard Ron Reagan on NPR today. Extremely anti-religious. Says he's not a Dem or Rep--and he knows he's being used by the Dems to throw stones at Bush. He said he doesn't mind, because he's using them for the platform to stump for stem cell research.

Though he has a right to speak his mind--his dad would never be for stem cell. And, no one would give a damn about his opinion, but for who his dad was. Reagan was the only conservative in his family.

(Hoping the GOP doesn't drag Michael Reagan out... <Bet they will.>)
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 08:48 pm
I am looking forward to this convention.
I believe that the true voice of the Democratic Party will be heard.
I am hoping that such stalwarts as Ted Kennedy; Al Gore; Bill Clinton and Al Sharpton; and of course, John Kerry, will rouse the American people to understand the stark choices that must be made in this election.
I believe that America will be stirred by all of the interesting speeches that these fine Democrats will make and that all Americans will finally understand the difference between these two parties.
Yeah!
YEEEEEAAAHAHHHHHRGHHH!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 09:15 pm
Hey Moishe3rd, where are those weapons of mass destruction that were found in Iraq?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 09:29 pm
ugh, I'm not excited, I'm trying to avoid the dnc, literally. It's not going to be a pretty week here.

Why so sure that Papa Reagan would have been against using stem cells for research? Any quotes?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 09:32 pm
Yes Reagan was 100% opposed to stem cell research--it was called fetal tissue research in his day. Bush is much less opposed than Reagan but is wanting safeguards against human cloning in place before he relaxes his stance any. I have a great speech he gave on the subject posted somewhere here on A2K.

Was interested in one take on all this tonight - the Dems are seeing the economy issue slipping away from them and the dilemma for Kerry is to whether it is more politically prudent to present himself as the peace president or one capable of running the war in Iraq. Apparently they feel the polls favor Kerry as a peace president but Bush has a strong advantage as a war president.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 10:33 pm
Re: The Democrat Convention---2004
Sofia wrote:
Anybody else excited?

Conventions are quite a heady time, and political season gets REAL soon after.

Thought it would be fun to follow convention news.

Kerry's daughter, on FOX and CNN the other day, alluded to a planned "surprise". Hmmm, could it be a Whoopi Goldberg anatomy lesson? Bon Jovi for Secty of Defense? Colin Powell, bound and gagged, with a Kerry for President sticker on his bum...? Sandy Berger produces the classified documents he 'lost', and Kerry reads them, while Barbra Streisand sings background riffs?? WHAT COULD IT BE???

Looking forward to seeing what it is... Very Happy

Any ideas?

Teresa is going to wear a see through blouse.

Who will watch? Who won't? What are you looking most forward to? (Me: Elizabeth Edwards and Teresa Heinz--for completely different reasons...)

I will be watching religiously.

I will be looking forward to listening to and assessing the new wave of Democrats that are to be featured.

- Who is that young African American congressman from tennessee? I haven't seen as much of him as I would have expected after the last convention. An impressive young man. Does he have a future in the party?

I will be looking forward to Bush Bashing. The Kerry Campaign is adamant about keeping the tone positive, but I find it hard to believe that the speakers will be able to resist - particularly since they don't have anything new to promote.

I will be looking forward to seeing the city of Boston stick it up the butt of threatening terrorists.

I will be looking forward to Hillary and Slick Willie to see if it is all about them or all about Kerry.

I will be looking forward to finding out what the Kerry/Edwards theme song is.

I will be looking forward to anti-war pacifists getting in fights with anti-abortion protestors.

I am looking forward to at least one TV pundit telling it like it is.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 10:37 pm
Well apparently Teresa Kerry told a TV pundit to shove it tonight. It was big news in Boston. Smile
0 Replies