The Democrat Convention---2004

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 10:44 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Well apparently Teresa Kerry told a TV pundit to shove it tonight. It was big news in Boston. Smile

My estimation of Teresa has gone up - but I still don't want to see her in a see through blouse.

I have to append my list:

I'm looking forward to seeing if Mrs Edwards is the same little speed demon she appeared to be at the announcement that her husband was Kerry's running mate.

I'm looking forward to seeing if Teresa backhands one of the Edwards kids for picking their noses on stage.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 10:49 pm
Finn writes:
Quote:
My estimation of Teresa has gone up - but I still don't want to see her in a see through blouse.

I don't know. I think she is a reasonably attractive woman and she is nicely stacked. Very Happy I haven't been able to work up any negative feelings about her except for the very left advocacy groups that she supports handsomely with her billion dollar foundation. Her personally I like.

I do think the campaign is worried about her as something of a losse cannon. Drudge is threatening to release some quotes of her from the 1970's that are supposed to be 'eye opening' but he did not elaborate on the radio tonight. (We get him for 2 hours on our regular news radio station on Sunday nights.)

Things are so quiet and so civil and so 'proper' in Boston this weekend, you almost feel the tension building. Should be fun to watch.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 11:10 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Finn writes:
Quote:

I don't know. I think she is a reasonably attractive woman and she is nicely stacked. Very Happy I haven't been able to work up any negative feelings about her except for the very left advocacy groups that she supports handsomely with her billion dollar foundation. Her personally I like.

I do think the campaign is worried about her as something of a losse cannon. Drudge is threatening to release some quotes of her from the 1970's that are supposed to be 'eye opening' but he did not elaborate on the radio tonight. (We get him for 2 hours on our regular news radio station on Sunday nights.)

Things are so quiet and so civil and so 'proper' in Boston this weekend, you almost feel the tension building. Should be fun to watch.

Not to be a sexist pig, but Teresa has seen better days. I have little doubt that she was hot in her day, but these days she is as stacked around the waist and butt as she is on top. Of course she's Miss America compared to John Edwards' wife. The other day I read an op-ed piece that was fulsome in its praise of Elizabeth Edwards, to the point that it declared her a very attractive woman.

I suppose this has something to do with a desire to not offend the obese, but, sorry folks, she's obese. This doesn't make her a bad person and by all accounts she is a terrific wife and mother, and, I would not be surprised, a terrific person in her own right, but very attractive?

Teresa is something of an odd duck. She has publicly declared that her first husband is the love of her life. Isn't this odd? How would you react if your spouse declared that his/her former spouse was the love of his/her life?

I wouldn't be surprised if, by the time the election is over, one or more of her utterances makes the front page. Who cares though? We're not electing the spouses of the candidates, and only Willie Clinton was so beholding to a wife that was so ambitious, that the wife was a real factor.

I have no negative feelings for either of these women. It's pretty clear that neither of them have any interest in being Co-President or Co-Vice President and so who they are is pretty irrelevant to the election.

(The bait has been cast, let's see if I catch anything)
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 04:13 am
(cough) Okay, we'll accept you don't mean to be sexist Finn. LOL

My favorite first lady ever was and is Barbara Bush. And I think she's beautiful. So it's all in a matter of taste I think.

I agree the demeanor of Heinz Kerry is bizarre in how she speaks of her first husband as "my husband" and how "she would give up everything" to have him back. It would seem that the marriage between her and John is more a marriage of opportunity for both rather than any love match. But then I never believed for a minute that Bill and Hillary loved each other either.

I don't share your observation that Heinz Kerry will not have interest in being co-president. Just watching the demeanor and body language, I suspect she wears the pants in the family. I don't think she has any intention of being just an adoring supportive wife if Kerry wins.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 04:26 am
Looks only the political junkies will be watching the convention as the 'free' alphabet channels are pretty much electing not to cover it:

Networks: Conventions bad; bug-eating good

Sun Jul 25, 5:19 AM ET

Brian Lowry, STAFF

Despite bowing to no one in my admiration for Ted Koppel, the newsman's newsman has fallen prey to thinking inside the box -- a narrow-mindedness that also has gripped network news divisions, major sponsors and the Democratic and Republican national committees.

The Democrats mount their quadrennial convention this week, and grizzled broadcasters like Koppel insist it's destined to be a news-free John Kerry (news - web sites) infomercial that merits sparse attention from the major networks. Eight years ago, Koppel walked out on the GOP's powwow to make precisely that point.

CBS News president Andrew Heyward articulated this theme to reporters last week, saying scaled-back coverage -- a mere hour in primetime on three of the four nights -- is more than sufficient. . .

http://news.yahoo.com/
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 04:48 am
There is a live coverage on the offcial site,also a live chat all this starts today: http://www.dems2004.org/
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 12:22 pm
Little tidbits of the call for no 'irresponsible' Bush bashing are showing in several news stories today.

Speeches have been filtered as if the whole Dem party is to be camouflaged. The bashing rhetoric has been okay for three years but now it's a no-no? Peculiar....the Dem party may be realizing that not only have they damaged this Admin with the 'lie' mantra, they have to degree damaged their own with it.

Funny thing is that most of the adamant perpetrators of the mantra are the ones being told to stop it , at least for now... Rolling Eyes

With the state of chaos that the convention has put Boston in, cages for protestors and the filtering of free speech, I wonder which has impeded human rights more.....the Patriot Act or the DNC?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 05:31 pm
After the ragging the poor NY Post took over naming Gebhardt as Kerry's running mate, I sort of enjoyed this: Smile

Washington Post Makes Printing Error
Special Convention Issue in Boston Has 'Election 2000' Banner
By Howard Kurtz
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, July 26, 2004; 1:24 PM

BOSTON, July 26--Those who say The Washington Post is out of step with the country just got a new round of ammunition.

The newspaper is printing 10,000 copies a day of a special convention issue that is being distributed for free among journalists and delegates attending the Democratic gathering here. And in large type at the top of Monday's second section, above a picture of John Kerry and John Edwards, is a banner: "ELECTION 2000."

Right topic, wrong year.

It seems that the paper's news desk used the same template as the last time a special convention issue was published, but forgot to update the year. The Post, however, isn't confiscating the copies. . .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 09:17 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

My favorite first lady ever was and is Barbara Bush. And I think she's beautiful. So it's all in a matter of taste I think.

You must also find Pugs and Japanese Goldfish beautiful Twisted Evil

http://www.canucklehead.ca/images/pug.jpg
http://www.swimming-goldfish.com/gfpics/telescope-eye.jpg

I agree the demeanor of Heinz Kerry is bizarre in how she speaks of her first husband as "my husband" and how "she would give up everything" to have him back. It would seem that the marriage between her and John is more a marriage of opportunity for both rather than any love match. But then I never believed for a minute that Bill and Hillary loved each other either.

Just look at these pictures. Can't you see the love?

http://gfx.dagbladet.no/magasinet/2004/02/18/valg1.jpg

http://svt.se/content/1/c6/16/68/81/kerry_teresaPRB120.jpg

http://www.ftd.de/FtdImage/kerry_vorwhl_t,0.jpg

Can't you see her melting in his embrace?

Does he have a forehead fetish?

I don't share your observation that Heinz Kerry will not have interest in being co-president. Just watching the demeanor and body language, I suspect she wears the pants in the family. I don't think she has any intention of being just an adoring supportive wife if Kerry wins.

Perhaps, but I tend to think otherwise.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 09:38 pm
Well, it's over for the night.

Unfortunately I had a business dinner and missed most of the speeches: Gore's and Carter's in particular - the latter apparently was peppered with some cheap shots one might not expect from a Born Again Christian.

But I did get to see the Clintons.

I know Hilary was quite keen on getting a shot at the podium, but she didn't do herself any good by placing herself in her husband's shadow. At best, her speech was forgettable.

It was poor by any standard, but horrible in comparison with Bill's. Say what you will about him, he sure can give a speech. What a shame such talent was undermined by low character.

I think Hilary suffers any time she tries to give a speech in a wide open forum. For some reason, she seems to believe that shouting implies gravitas, but rather than coming across as sonorous, she seems strident and forced. She is much better in an interview format where she doesn't feel the need to practice her Toastmaster's schtick.

It's tough for a woman to pull off the sort of full throated rhetoric. In my memory, only Barbara Jordan has succeeded with this approach. One has to wonder though why Hilary even tries. One would think that having been in such close proximity to Bill for so long some of his technique might have rubbed off. Bill raises his voice infrequently and only when it works rhetorically. Maybe it chaps her butt to even consider emulating him.

I did get a kick out of his constant use of the pronoun "they." Who are "they?" Surely not simply Bush and the members of his cabinet. The Republicans? The Conservatives?
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 09:53 pm
Roflmao! But I'm tipsy & I blame it on CF's recipe...
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

You must also find Pugs and Japanese Goldfish beautiful Twisted Evil

http://www.canucklehead.ca/images/pug.jpg
http://www.swimming-goldfish.com/gfpics/telescope-eye.jpg

Just look at these pictures. Can't you see the love?

http://gfx.dagbladet.no/magasinet/2004/02/18/valg1.jpg

http://svt.se/content/1/c6/16/68/81/kerry_teresaPRB120.jpg

http://www.ftd.de/FtdImage/kerry_vorwhl_t,0.jpg

Can't you see her melting in his embrace?

Does he have a forehead fetish?

Perhaps, but I tend to think otherwise.

I still like the Kerrys as a couple. I understand how 2nd marriages differ from 1sts.

I missed the speeches. I read the transcript of Gore, Carter, and HRC. I'm wondering, how was Gore's timing delivering the jokes? I thought they were great to read... but live timing would make or break them... Did he say them with a smile? I can't wait to see the videotape. Very Happy And Carter, if he wrote his own material, he must really be pissed. Them was practically fighting words coming outta his mouth! Shocked He was debonnaire in his attacks on the sitting president, though. (I wish this site had a flag waving emoticon to convey my feelings about what former President Carter said!)
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 10:33 pm
I thought Hilliary did fine, considering that her main function was to introduce her husband. She also had to appear wholeheartedly behind Kerry with no hint of her own ambition. She did her turn as a good soldier.

Bill Clinton exuded his folksy charm and he helped to package the candidate. He does that sort of thing very well. That just isn't Hillary's style. She'd be a fool to try to woo an audience in the same way. I don't find her forced or unnatural, she just seems very prepared and well rehearsed. Every hair in place, so to speak.

Carter certainly pulled no punches. I was glad that at least one person really came out swinging.

It's not Hilliary who has to learn from Bill's technique--it is Kerry.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 05:18 am
Hillary did fine, her role was to introduce her husband and she did that quite well.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 12:54 pm
apropos, I notice that we have many here from Boston:
Fun, heeven , limbodog etc.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 12:59 pm
She almost made it seem like she wanted Kerry to be president. Of course we know that's not true.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:12 pm
Bill may not give a flying fig who wins this election but there is no way I believe Hillary wants Kerry to win. If he does win, that means another eight whole years before she can run, and I do believe she intends to run.

All in all from Gore to Carter to the Clintons, the constituency hungry for red meat got it. It was pretty much a Bush bashing session from beginning to end; they just avoided saying Bush's name. Bill did shine in comparison to the othes, but Nielson reports a pitiful viewership from the beginning that steadily fell off during the evening including a falling off during Clinton's speech. All in all, for most pretty ho hum I think.

I don't expect the GOP to do much better though.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 04:50 pm
Hillary IMO did better than I expected, considering I expected her to be about her. As someone else said, Bill and Hill did at least give good lip service to Kerry. I did think it odd not to say much about Bill as her husband. No glowing personal comments there...

I do like that he occasionally comes out self-deprecating--and added himself into the mix when alluding to Bush and Cheney's military service, juxtaposed with Kerry's.

I do think Carter has 'paved his new low road', so to speak, with his comment Kerry "showed up" for service. He was the worst when it came to baseless, gossipy rhetoric against Bush.

It was a good thing for the GOP to have Carter criticising Bush's foreign policy. This is the first time Carter was asked to speak, since he was the nominee--because the Dems, along with the rest of the country, recognised him as a poor President. I don't think anyone, who was such a complete failure should think anyone values his foriegn policy analysis. He's 80 years old, and it shows in his increasing detour from his former high character. He tried to rewrite history, at one point saying he's always been an optimist. Somebody dust off his infamous "malaise speech"! The New Conservative Era of Reagan's optimism and Can Do-ism was born in the shadow of Carter's "misery index".

The crowd and some people were openly rude to FOX commentators and reporters, though Heinz didn't have opportunity to tell any of them to shove it. As I have stated, she is going to be a problem for her husband. They tried to laugh it off, but a First Lady as loose cannon won't go over well. You can tell she runs that marriage.

I was sorry to miss Obama, and I was surprised it was as controlled as it was. But, it's not over yet.

Kerry's pitch at the baseball game: I think most of the crowd booed because he throws like a girl.

I was hoping they would embrace their liberalism--draw distinctions between who they are, and the GOP. They still read like Conservatives Light--or We Will Do What They Are Doing, Only Better...
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 07:18 am
Night Two:

Obama was great, IMO. He has real potential. And, the DNC shot themselves in the foot BIG TIME in not giving the prime time spot to him--and giving it to Teresa.

She did quite a bit of damage, and completely missed the opportunity to 'humanize' Kerry--something he needed desperately. The speech, in and of iteself was OK, except for some put downs of America, which may resonate with Dems--but I have to say, being spoken in an accent, can not do anything but alienate Middle America. I can't remember exactly what they were, but my hackles went up. They weren't anti-Bush, but alluding to America being some misbehaved child, getting told the news by it's all-knowing, condescending Mother...

But, aside from that, she missed her mark. Unless SHE'S running for office, her task was to provide some humanity, warmth about her husband or some personal stories him--you know, the guy running for President...?

Kerry seems VERY LOW on his wife's list of priorities. She is torpedoing him. And, he is cast as a golddigger, who married and performs for her money.

It was a mistake to let her speak, in hindsight.

There's nothing wrong with an accent, or her age,or money, or any of those peripheral attributes. What becomes wrong is how you see they come together to illustrate her personality. The only thing about the accent, and her non-native status, is it makes criticism of America ABSOLUTELY OFF LIMITS, unless you don't mind losing a great number of Independants, and groups of other demographics. Though it may not be valid, it is an issue.

Kennedy was no better or worse than expected, IMO.

I heard Dean lit up the room. Missed it. I'll have to catch a repeat on CSPAN. Bet there were plenty who wished he had gotten the nod.

Look for John Edwards and his wife to completely overshadow the Heinz-Kerrys.

The Dems have picked the wrong guy.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 07:43 am
Sofia - just to let you know I enjoyed reading both of your thoughtful posts.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the TV coverage I saw of Kerry at the baseball game - the crowd started booing as he walked out to the mound - before he threw like a girl LOL. Teresa turned and looked in the stands as if to say....shove it...LOL.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 08:58 am
The liberal media is really trying to put the best face on Teresa's speech last night, but the honest ones have this blank stunned expression. She said two things that have them cringing: 1) when, in a time of war, she lauded the Peace Corps as America's most important institution and 2) when she promised John Kerry would reverse global warming. Smile
0 Replies