Does "to “patch” two living neurons" refer to "to “fix” two living neurons"?

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 01:28 am

Context:

For decades Henry Markram has dreamed of reverse engineering the human brain. In 1994, as a postdoctoral researcher then at the Max Planck Institute for Medical Research in Heidelberg, Germany, he became the first scientist to “patch” two living neurons simultaneously—to apply microscopic pipettes to freshly harvested rat neurons to measure the electrical signals fired between them. The work demonstrated the process by which synapses are strengthened and weakened, making it possible to study and model how the brain learns. His work landed him a position as senior scientist at the prestigious Weizmann Institute of Science in Rehovot, Israel, and by the time he was promoted to professor in 1998, he was one of the most esteemed researchers in the field.

More:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-the-human-brain-project-went-wrong-and-how-to-fix-it/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 887 • Replies: 16
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
McTag

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 07:17 am
@oristarA,

Quote:

The meaning is precisely given in the next phrase.

Quote:
he became the first scientist to “patch” two living neurons simultaneously—to apply microscopic pipettes to freshly harvested rat neurons to measure the electrical signals fired between them
oristarA

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 07:38 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
he became the first scientist to “patch” two living neurons simultaneously—to apply microscopic pipettes to freshly harvested rat neurons to measure the electrical signals fired between them

"Patch" - to apply pipetttes to neurons to measure signals fired between the neurons?

I still failed to get a clear picture for the word "patch", which is defined as "to join or unite the pieces of" in my dictionary.
McTag

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 10:15 am
@oristarA,

From the fact that the author put "patch" inside quotation marks, you may conclude that the author wasn't too clear himself. He evidently decided to borrow the word to describe the action taken/ method used.
Perhaps there isn't a word to cover it.
Would anyone like to suggest one?
oristarA

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 10:30 am
@McTag,
Would you like to give a definition for the word "patch"?
McTag
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 01:02 pm
@oristarA,

You do see the word "patch" used in a variety of different ways, usually to do with improvised actions.
I couldn't improve upon the definition given above for this particular technique, however a generally useful definition might be " to use ingenuity to get over a practical difficulty, however unorthodox".
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 01:19 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Quote:

"Patch" - to apply pipetttes to neurons to measure signals fired between the neurons?

I still failed to get a clear picture for the word "patch", which is defined as "to join or unite the pieces of" in my dictionary.

have you tried using join or unite in the place of patch ?

he became the first scientist to join two living neurons

he became the first scientist to unite two living neurons

(join works better in this context)

n.b. patch generally refers to a temporary connection when used like this

Quote:
4. To connect temporarily (electronic components), as with a patch cord.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 02:42 pm
@oristarA,
The word "patch" here is borrowed from the world of electronics. If you connect two components together using a piece of wire you are patching them together. In the old days I patched my sound system into my VCR (by connecting my amplifier to the audio output from the VCR).

This is the image I get from this piece. He is forming a new connection between two neurons so the output from one goes to the input of the other.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 03:48 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The word "patch" here is borrowed from the world of electronics.

To make temporary and/or ad hoc connections.

Patch cords
http://www.cablexpress.com/default/assets/File/patch%20cable%20spray(1).jpg
McTag

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 01:09 am
@Tes yeux noirs,

So, my effort was quite good. But I'm not a patch on my brother.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 08:00 am
Thank you guys; all excellent replies.
So here is a new question: to whom the ribbon should be given?

First, kudos go to Tes yeux noirs. You'll be honored but you will not join the competition for the ribbon, because your reply is not an independent one.

Second, three competitors, McTag, ehBeth and Max, have the equal opportunity to win the ribbon.

Third, I've worked out a plan to ensure a fair play will be made. Here it is:
American Roulette
http://www.rouletteedu.com/american-roulette.php

Each competitor please click the Spin button on the roulette page and report the first number you get there. Remember Honesty Is the Best Policy. The competitor with the biggest number will be the winner and get the ribbon. If two competitors got equal numbers, then the two will enter into next round of roulette to decide the championship.

If there is no objection, please proceed and report your result here.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 11:40 am

Truly there never was a pupil like OristarA. I remember when he took his first faltering steps in the language. Makes you proud, doesn't it?
Smile

0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 01:58 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Your explanation is excellent. In basic talk ( electronics) the connection ( patch) is the result of the" male" >" female" interaction via the axon /dendrite connections,in vitro and in vivo.

One point to be made, is that contrary to the male/female connection observed in vitro ( electonic connections), under the microscope with intact rat neurons in vitro ,the synapse is very small and the action potentials that travel along the two sections ( axon/dendrite) and across the synapse, are driven biochemically via pumps regulated via Na/K flux.

The neurons were said to be "living". What should have been said, was the neurons were physiologically and metabolically functional. They weren't living .

The scientist performing these experiments has an autistic son and this supposedly is what is driving the research.

oristarA

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 09:25 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Your explanation is excellent. In basic talk ( electronics) the connection ( patch) is the result of the" male" >" female" interaction via the axon /dendrite connections,in vitro and in vivo.

One point to be made, is that contrary to the male/female connection observed in vitro ( electonic connections), under the microscope with intact rat neurons in vitro ,the synapse is very small and the action potentials that travel along the two sections ( axon/dendrite) and across the synapse, are driven biochemically via pumps regulated via Na/K flux.

The neurons were said to be "living". What should have been said, was the neurons were physiologically and metabolically functional. They weren't living .

The scientist performing these experiments has an autistic son and this supposedly is what is driving the research.

Informative.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 05:22 am
It seems Roulette would make some people uncomfortable.
How about award the ribbon according to reply time sequence?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 08:42 pm
Well, silence conveys agreement.
First come first served.
The ribbon has been rewarded to the first.
Thank you for paying attention.
McTag

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2015 01:50 am
@oristarA,

Good choice.
0 Replies