Does "emphasis mine" refer to "the emphasis is made by me"?

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2015 07:37 pm
Does "emphasis mine" refer to "the emphasis is made by me"? (And the emphasis refers to making "biggest mistake" italic)

Context:

“Do I really need to sleep?” As I travel around the world talking about sleep, I am asked this question over and over. The answer has always been clear—yes, everyone needs to do it. Just like hunger, thirst and sexual desire, the urge to sleep is a physiological drive. Exactly what spending a third of our lives unconscious gets us, however, has long mystified scientists.

In acknowledging our lack of an answer, Allan Rechtschaffen, one of the world's foremost sleep researchers, said in 1978, “If sleep does not serve an absolutely vital function, then it is the biggest mistake the evolutionary process has ever made” (emphasis mine). In the 1990s J. Allan Hobson, another leading sleep researcher, quipped that the only known function of sleep was to cure sleepiness.

More:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/beyond-memory-the-benefits-of-sleep/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 712 • Replies: 2
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
BillRM
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2015 07:59 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
Does "emphasis mine" refer to "the emphasis is made by me"? (And the emphasis refers to making "biggest mistake" italic)

Yes it mean that the person who is printing/posting/using the quote of Allan Rechtschaffen is the one who italic "biggest mistake" within the quote and not Mr. Rechtschaffen.
oristarA

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 01:25 am
@BillRM,
Thanks
0 Replies