Do You Approve of Entertainers Becoming Politicized?

dlowan

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 04:11 pm
Well, the title to the thread sort of suggests that...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 04:21 pm
dlowan-

This was my title:

Quote:

What I wanted to know is if a person goes to somewhere for pure entertainment, do they want an entertainer to espouse their political views? That was explained in the body of my thread.

Fuggedaboudit. This damn election has become so divisive, that a person can't even ask a question without it being picked apart. As for me, I want entertainers to be entertainers, and politicians to be politicians. (except in the case of career change! :wink: )
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 04:40 pm
Lol! We ar we not having an election here - yet.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 04:44 pm
Quote:
Lol! We ar we not having an election here - yet.

You're lucky. This one over here is becoming a stiff pain in the butt. The level of rancor on both sides is unbelievable.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 04:46 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
dlowan-

This was my title:

Quote:

What I wanted to know is if a person goes to somewhere for pure entertainment, do they want an entertainer to espouse their political views? That was explained in the body of my thread.

Fuggedaboudit. This damn election has become so divisive, that a person can't even ask a question without it being picked apart. As for me, I want entertainers to be entertainers, and politicians to be politicians. (except in the case of career change! :wink: )

Phoenix, I knew what you were asking. I don't get why it was so confusing either. Seemed like a damn simple question to me.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 05:00 pm
Kickycan- You know what I said about the rancor? What has happened on this thread is a great example. I asked what I thought was an extremely simple question, which for some, has become convoluted way out of proportion!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 05:28 pm
kickycan, It's only a rhetorical question - not meant as a fact on this thread.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 05:54 pm
I don't see the rancor.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 05:55 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
kickycan, It's only a rhetorical question - not meant as a fact on this thread.

Huh?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 07:32 pm
I dont see any "rancour" either ... just people expressing their views. In as non-confrontative, even joking, a manner as you'll find on the Politics forum these days. Course, most of 'em didnt agree with you, Phoenix - but that doesnt make 'em "rancorous". <shrugs>
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 07:37 pm
Oh, as for the question - I dont give a flying toss. Musicians have spoken up about politics forever, in both articulate and ****-stupid ways. Sometimes you expect it, sometimes you dont. So what - its rarely likely to be more than the odd sentence or exclamation or two anyway, barring the really political performers. And like someone said, most of the time you pretty much already know (or suspect) what views the band you just paid a shitload to see hold anyway.

And if you're really pissed off about it, hell, boo 'em. Then they play the next song and you're dancing again. Sweat off whose back? They're artists - they're supposed to be a little unruly.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 08:01 pm
I guess Phoenix wouldn't approve of entertainers like Irving Berlin either. link

I'm having a real problem with the
Quote:
Becoming Politicized
part of the thread title. Entertainers sharing their political views is nothing new. Read a theatre program, liner notes ... it's out there, and has been for a very long time.

My political opinions are not going to be changed by learning about an entertainer's. I may <frown> or <nod> on learning about some of them, but <shrug>, it won't change anything.

<edit to add the missing link :wink: >
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 08:12 pm
Yeah the politicized part was what bothered me too. I read it as the individual entertainers become politicized... not sure how it was meant. In that reading, I think it's more a matter of comfort level, lack of fear of repercussions/ loss of audience. I.e. it's not that they suddenly discover some conviction (except perhaps in the case of maturing child actors), but that they feel comfortable expressing an already-held conviction. And I think that comfort level is good.

Meanwhile, since I said something on another thread about rancor, I think there's plenty of political rancor to go around but not particularly here. There definitely seems to be an opinion/ message being put forth in this topic; even if that opinion/ message was not intended, it isn't surprising that the apparent opinion/ message was responded to.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 08:37 pm
Of course, Phoenix asked ". . .do you appreciate. . . ?", not, do they have the right. By the way, I've heard Ted Nugent in interview. Too much for me, and I agree with the sentiments. If I heard it in concert, I would probably walk.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 08:56 pm
I think I noted that I appreciate - Ofcourse it depends on which particular entertainer is in question. A conservative will love to hear Schwartzenager, or maybe Merle Haggard, while a liberal will love to hear perhaps Bob Dylan or Buffy Sainte-Marie..
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 09:37 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I think I noted that I appreciate - Ofcourse it depends on which particular entertainer is in question. A conservative will love to hear Schwartzenager, or maybe Merle Haggard, while a liberal will love to hear perhaps Bob Dylan or Buffy Sainte-Marie..

This conservative is not that conservative, if conservative they are.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 09:46 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Nothing to do with any election, from my perspective. I expect people, including entertainers, to have opinions. If they want to express them, they should have the right to, just as you have the right not to support them if they do. But I think your choice of listening/reading enjoyment is going to be limited if you want politics kept out of it. Mozart was noted for putting political commentary into his works. Many of the great baroque composers reflected politics in their work. Much of Shakespeare's work can be read as political. Ayn Rand - political. Dickens - political ... Your entertainment options definitely shrink if you don't want politics in there.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 10:32 pm
ehBeth, Gotta agree with you 100 percent. Entertainment and politics is entertwined too often not to accept it as a matter of fact. Some of the best books I've read has some politics in them. Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 10:33 pm
Sound of Music was based on politics. Wink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 12:12 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Sound of Music was based on politics. Wink

And ever read the history behind(about) a couple of operas? Laughing
0 Replies