Do You Approve of Entertainers Becoming Politicized?

dlowan

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 08:08 am
Embarrassed

Just read thread - this has been said already...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 08:09 am
Good morning Ms. Buns...have a carrot...good for the eyesight.....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 08:13 am
I now eschew carrots because of their carbohydrate content.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 08:55 am
I don't see why a Celebrity can't have an opinion, what bugs me is when such people take heat simply because thier opinion doesn't match what those in power want (Dixie Chicks, etc).

Of course, I've noticed a lot of the musicians at least that I like share my views (Indigo Girls, DMB, Sting, etc).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 10:39 am
Setanta wrote:
Yeah, but this time, the whores would be paying us . . .

Do you hear bells ringing in yer head? cuz you will be Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 10:51 am
ehBeth wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Yeah, but this time, the whores would be paying us . . .

Do you hear bells ringing in yer head? cuz you will be Evil or Very Mad

take it easy now.....these are political whores...that means they're too
uptight for sex......
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 10:53 am
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 10:56 am
I hate it when entertainers speak out politically during concerts, shows, etc. When I hear some rock star on stage saying something political, my first thought is, "what a f*cking moron."

Unless, like Bob Dylan or Pete Seeger, as Edgar mentioned, they have something political intertwined with their performance already.

Otherwise, just play the music, do the show, do whatever it is that you do, and just shut the f*ck up about your idiotic political opinions!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 10:59 am
Freedom of speech includes 'everybody.' Nobody is forced to listen or agree.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 11:09 am
" I came n last night about half past ten"
Squinney and Ebeth wouldn't let me in
So move it on over.....rock it on over
Move over Big Dog the Big Bear's comin. in" Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 11:57 am
Of course entertainers have a right to express their political opinions.

What confuses me is why some people take their opinions as authorative and why other people worry that the first group will be led astray.

Being famous--or notorious-- or simply speaking to a wide audience--does not mean an entertainer's opinions have particular merit. Or that these opinions lack merit.

Brave New World.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 12:08 pm
Here's another fine mess you've gotten us into, Ollie . . . i mean, Bear . . .
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 02:31 pm
Quote:
Entertainers have a right to their views and a right to speak their mind....

Absolutely. I certainly agree with you on that one. But that was not my question. I asked if YOU approved of hearing a political discourse, during what is billed as lets say, musical entertainment, where the political message is not part of the program.

If, for instance, you went to a show sung by a folk singer who had a particular point of view that was illustrated by his songs, well, you got what you paid for.

Let's look at it another way. You go to an entertainment venue, and the singer uses his celebrity to espouse a particular religious view, during the show. (Bear in mind, that this entertainer is NOT known as a singer of religious songs). How would you feel about that?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 02:36 pm
I feel thta it is okay. It is then up to the public to decide if they want to participate or leave it alone.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 03:11 pm
Phoenix, Entertainers are free to express their political views during their program; those upset by them will probably discontinue attending. It's not right or wrong; it's up to the audience to let the entertainer know if they dislike their views on politics - by booing. Wink
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 03:19 pm
Podia--even the front seats of yellow cabs--invite orators. The definition of performance art is necessarily extremely elastic. Any performer can choose to orate--but then the audience can decide whether to sit through the commerical or walk out.

There may be consequences after the performance. I understand Whoopie Goldberg will no longer represent Slimfast after the remarks she was invited to make at a Democratic rally.

My question is still, why would anyone accept a performer's opinion as gospel--or worry about other people accepting that opinion as gospel?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 03:30 pm
If they're willing to "pay the consequences or reap the benefits (whatever that might be)," I'm not sure why they can't express their political views. Wink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 03:32 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
Entertainers have a right to their views and a right to speak their mind....

Absolutely. I certainly agree with you on that one. But that was not my question. I asked if YOU approved of hearing a political discourse, during what is billed as lets say, musical entertainment, where the political message is not part of the program.

If, for instance, you went to a show sung by a folk singer who had a particular point of view that was illustrated by his songs, well, you got what you paid for.

Let's look at it another way. You go to an entertainment venue, and the singer uses his celebrity to espouse a particular religious view, during the show. (Bear in mind, that this entertainer is NOT known as a singer of religious songs). How would you feel about that?

Well, this singer was known for doing so:
Quote:
[...]
The vehement reaction to Ronstadt's comments comes as something as a surprise, as the singer had been dedicating the song to Moore each night of the tour. The singer has been outspoken about her liberal views throughout her career and had a very public relationship with then-California Governor Jerry Brown in the Seventies.

In an interview that ran in the Las Vegas Review-Journal the day before the show, Ronstadt said that the reaction to her nightly Moore dedications had been mixed. "They say the country is evenly divided, and boy is that true," she said. "One half of the audience cheers and the other half boos."
[...]
source: RollingStone.com
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 03:33 pm
I'm confused, C.I.

Who here has said they shouldn't be allowed to express their views?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 04:06 pm
Quote:
Who here has said they shouldn't be allowed to express their views?

Craven replied:
Quote:
"Do You Approve of Entertainers Becoming Politicized?"

No, they don't need anyone's "approval" any more than you or I do.

My turn: "Do you approve of Phoenix being allowed to voice political opinions?"

Get what I mean?

Apparently Craven inferred erroneously that I implied that entertainers needed approval to voice their political views.
0 Replies