Do You Approve of Entertainers Becoming Politicized?

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 06:04 am
I was reading another thread on A2K, and got to thinking about entertainers who use their celebrity to push political agendas:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29263

Now, there is no doubt in my mind that for many comedians, politics and politicos are an integral part of their raison d'etre. But what about singers, actors, or other entertainers?

When you go to a show or concert, do you appreciate the star who advocates a politician with whom you agree? What if the endorsement is for a politician with whom you don't agree?

The point of my thread is whether it is appropriate for a star to use their show business celebrity as a means of pushing one candidate or another.

This thread is not meant to discuss any politician in particular. Please keep the thread generic. Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 6,734 • Replies: 90
No top replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 06:42 am
Entertainers have a right to their views and a right to speak their mind....they very often work that into their art and performance...that's the way it is.....I think Ted Nugent is the biggest asshole in Rock but I overlook his crap when he comes to town....because he rocks.

The right becries a Linda Ronstadt or a Dixie Chick, but takes a marginal shitkicker like Toby Keith and turns him multiplatinum because he writes a song about putting his boot in someones ass, and puts red white and blue in the title which appeals to some chronic pathological need to be John Wayne. Exactly how many big hits has Lee Greenwood had besides God Bless The USA?

The rules only apply to the person you don't like, whatever side you're on.

Personally I could care less. Cool
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 06:46 am
"Do You Approve of Entertainers Becoming Politicized?"

No, they don't need anyone's "approval" any more than you or I do.

My turn: "Do you approve of Phoenix being allowed to voice political opinions?"

Get what I mean?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 06:54 am
I have often thought Phoenix should be muzzled, but you ain't gonna get me to make the attempt . . .
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 07:00 am
Of course entertainers (just like anyone else) have the right to state their views. Just not when I'm paying their salaries.

Anyone, entertainer or anyone else, has the right to get up on their soapbox and say whatever is on their mind. But when I am paying for their services, that's a different story. How would you like it if you were in the middle of getting a tooth drilled, and the Dentist went on a rant about his/her favorite cause?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 07:03 am
Jim wrote:
Of course entertainers (just like anyone else) have the right to state their views. Just not when I'm paying their salaries.

Anyone, entertainer or anyone else, has the right to get up on their soapbox and say whatever is on their mind. But when I am paying for their services, that's a different story. How would you like it if you were in the middle of getting a tooth drilled, and the Dentist went on a rant about his/her favorite cause?

We pay the presidents' salary and every other politician shoving their bullshit down our throats. We get better value for dollar from Linda Ronstadt IMO. And as long as he brings the nitrous and novacaine, my dentist can talk about his first blow job for all I care......
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 07:04 am
Setanta wrote:
I have often thought Phoenix should be muzzled, but you ain't gonna get me to make the attempt . . .

I would think you of all people would have a deep seated aversion to the use of the muzzle big dog.....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 07:07 am
Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part, Bear, anyway, i was just tryin' to jerk the girl's chain . . .
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 07:11 am
Jim wrote:

This is not true, they have the right to state their political views even when you are patronizing them. You, in turn, have the right to cease to do so.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 07:25 am
I always wonder why they bother voicing their opinions. Anyone stupid enough to vote for politician X just because actor Y says so is too stupid to be allowed to vote anyway.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 07:27 am
Setanta wrote:
Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part, Bear, anyway, i was just tryin' to jerk the girl's chain . . .

I didn't realize Phoenix was in to that sort of thing......good grief what's next? Handcuffs and gags? Shocked
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 07:37 am
You tryin' to get me in trouble with the girl? If Miss eBeth gives me grief--you're next . . .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 07:40 am
For me, the initial attraction to some entertainers, such as Bob Dylan and Pete Seeger, was their politics. Others, such as Harry Belafonte and Bill Cosby, pleasantly surprised me later on. It is obvious that many who disparage entertainers becoming politicized do so only when discussing the opposition. They welcome the ones who get elected when their own party is involved.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 07:44 am
Setanta wrote:
You tryin' to get me in trouble with the girl? If Miss eBeth gives me grief--you're next . . .

Now there's a pay for view in the making...Big Dawg meets Big Bear in a cage match.....all we need to cement the pay for view rights is squinney and ebeth in our corners in thongs and pasties......think of it man....we'll be rich......and let's don't even talk about the merchandising revenues.....just the income stream from the bobble uhhhh..head dolls will keep us in kibbles and salmon for life.....

I'll have my girl call your girl and we'll schedule something....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 07:45 am
Sounds good . . . then, when we're big entertainers, we can go trolling for those willing to pay big time for political endorsements . . .
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 07:48 am
Setanta wrote:
Sounds good . . . then, when we're big entertainers, we can go trolling for those willing to pay big time for political endorsements . . .

I spent the first two thirds of my life chasing whores already......
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 07:50 am
Yeah, but this time, the whores would be paying us . . .
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 07:53 am
I generally know what to expect when I pay to see a performer because I will have some history in seeing/hearing said performer. If they are politically or religiously outspoken then I have accepted the fact that it will come up during the performance. If I am not used to hearing tirades/speeches from said performer then I am not amused to be "preached" to and I don't care what the subject matter - I've had a lung removed from the cancer stick, I am a born-again-whatever, I love politics, whatever. My point is that I have the free will to remove myself from something that is irritating me and chose not to revisit it again, or I can just ignore it (if it is a passing comment) and continue to enjoy my entertainment. I just feel sometimes that the public is treated like children, that we must not have a brain to know what is going on in the world and that comments are thrown at us whether we like it or not. Personally I am a little tired of hearing everyone elses views. Sometimes I'd like to just yell back "F-off and just sing".
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 08:05 am
Setanta wrote:
Yeah, but this time, the whores would be paying us . . .

I feel sooooo......used. I like it.....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 08:06 am
Huh?

That is the same as asking whether you and I ought to be allowed to voice political opinions.

That is weird.
0 Replies